The Picnic

The Picnic

A Story by Valentine Whellens
"

Ann was looking forward eagerly to the surprise that Richard had in store for her. She didn’t know what her boyfriend of only two months had planned. She didn’t know that her life would never be the

"

 

‘Anne, come quickly, I’ve got a surprise for you.’

‘I’m coming, Richard, darling.’

Anne rushed out of the tiny flat she had lived in for the past two years, ever since she moved out of home at the ripe age of twenty two.  It had been a struggle to afford the rent but Anne loved the independence.  No-one to tell you to tidy up the bedroom, no-one to complain that the dishes needed washing, and no-one to disturb when you get home at four in the morning!

But despite this new found freedom, Anne missed her parents.  They would visit every couple of weeks for Sunday lunch.  At first, Anne would rush around the flat tidying up before they arrived but, gradually, this last minute cyclonic activity was replaced by a more mature, measured, approach to housekeeping. 

Anne was turning into her mother!

‘Hello, my love’ said Anne as she ran into the Richard’s arms.  ’What’s the surprise?’  ‘It wouldn’t be a surprise if I told you, would it?’  ‘I suppose not.’  ‘C’mon Annie, into the car, we’re going on a little journey.’  Anne had known Richard for two months now.  They met at a singles party that Anne had been persuaded to go to by her girlfriend, Julie.  Julie had met some very nice men at these types of events and was sure that Anne would find a long term relationship.  Perhaps she’d find a shy millionaire!

Richard held the door as Anne climbed into the Mazda then closed it firmly behind her.  Once he was behind the steering wheel, Richard leant over and locked the passenger door with a clunk.  ‘Don’t want you having any accidents, do we?  Oh, and you have to put this on, otherwise it’ll spoil the surprise.’  Richard tightened the scarf around Anne’s eyes and tied it firmly behind her head.  ‘Ready darling?  Here we go.’  It took less than an hour to reach the spot.  Richard drove off the road and into a wooded area before slowing to a halt.  ‘Now wait Annie and I’ll come and get you.’  Richard got out of the car and lifted the passenger door handle.  It was still locked.  He took the keys from his trouser pocket and opened the door.  ‘I’ll help you out but you must keep the blindfold on until I tell you.’

‘Oh Richard, this is so exciting.’  Anne loved surprises.

Richard helped the blindfolded Anne out of the car and led her through some trees to a clearing where he kissed her deeply, and then slowly spun her around three times.

‘Ready?’ he asked.  ‘Here goes.’  He lifted the blindfold over her head and Anne looked at the scene before her.  ‘Oh darling, this is beautiful’ she exclaimed, taking in the view.  They were on top of a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean; the blue sky reflecting in the turquoise of the water.  Whitecaps broke from far out as they vaulted over the rocks protruding from the sea.  Anne could see what looked like a school of dolphins but it was hard to be certain from this distance.  ‘But wait… there’s more’ said Richard as he rushed to the car and brought a picnic basket from the boot.  Another trip brought the blanket that they would sit on, and another the cold box containing the champagne.

‘Help me with the blanket, Anne.’  They carefully laid the blanket on the ground and Richard put the picnic basket on one corner to prevent the breeze, which was not unexpected at that altitude, from lifting it.  He put the cold box on the other corner so that the edge nearest the cliff face was secured.  Richard poured two glasses of champagne and the couple sipped.  Anne sneezed and giggled at the same time.  ‘The bubbles are tickling my nose’ she laughed.  ‘You’d better put that down on the cold box for now.  It’s time to show your appreciation for the surprise.’  They both rested their glasses on the cold box and sat on the blanket.  Richard put his arm around Anne’s shoulder and they kissed.  ‘Let’s get more comfortable, Annie.  Let’s get very comfortable.’  As Richard continued to kiss and cuddle Anne, his hand was reaching for the buttons on her dress.  ‘Not here, Richard darling.  Someone might see us’ said Anne, realising the ridiculousness of her words just as they were leaving her lips.  Here they were on a desolate cliff top, hundreds of feet above the ocean with a sheer drop to the lapping waves, so nobody was likely to suddenly pop up from the edge, were they, and with the only sound being the wind and the ocean.  Anne stopped her resistance as quickly as she had started it.  Richard had soon undone the buttons on the front of Anne’s dress and pulled the front apart revealing her bra encased breasts.  He kissed the top of first one and then the other, his lips brushing against the pink lace fabric, before putting his hands behind her back fumbling for the clasp that would free his prize.  He could never understand the difficulties of unfastening a bra when women could do it so easily.

 It seemed like a lifetime but it fact it wasn’t long before he had the clips undone and the pressure of her chest was released.  Anne slipped her arms out of the straps of her bra and threw the garment to the ground.  The paleness of her breasts reflected the hidden, personal, areas that were never exposed to the sun.  Anne had contemplated topless sunbathing but was afraid that too much sun would just result in shrivelled breasts…like prunes.  Who would want to fondle prunes? Anne sighed as he alternated his attention between her breasts, cupping them in his hands and kissing the n*****s softly, then harder.  She screamed when his teeth closed fiercely over her left n****e.

‘Sorry Annie dear.  I just got a bit too excited.’

Annie inspected her breast and wiped away a small trace of blood.  ‘Here, let me lick that clean’ said Richard, his grey green eyes large with a mixture of desire and need.

‘No Richard that hurt.  It’s still stinging.’

Richard held Anne’s right breast and moved towards it.

‘Be careful, please, Richard’ begged Anne.

‘They’re my prize.  I gave you the picnic as a surprise, now it’s my turn for something nice.  I won’t hurt you, just trust me Annie.’  With that he slowly lowered his face to be next to Annie’s right breast and circled her n****e with his tongue.  Annie loved the feel of Richard’s tongue on her n****e and the electric spasms that resulted.  She couldn’t object because that would be to deny herself as well as him.  He went back to the left breast and licked another globule of blood that had formed from the tear in her n****e caused by his wolf like teeth.  Anne was caught between pain and pleasure.  He continued kissing, licking, sucking each breast in turn, each n****e in turn.  All the while Anne was getting more and more aroused.  She didn’t want him to stop.  Not until she felt the piercing sensation of his teeth clamping down on her right n****e.  She screamed out loud and pushed him off her, scrambling to her feet with tears rolling down her cheeks

‘You b*****d!  You bloody b*****d’ she sobbed.  ‘Why did you do that?’

‘I’m sorry Annie darling.  I didn’t mean it.  I just get so intoxicated when I’m with you, intoxicated by you, your smell, your very being.  I just have to have you and I just get a bit carried away.  Here, let me lick it better.’  Richard moved towards Anne but she backed away.  ‘Here. This’ll make it better.’  Richard picked up the champagne glass and stepped towards Annie.  Reaching out he poured the champagne onto her right breast.

‘B*****d!’ she screamed again as the alcohol stung the wound on her n****e.

‘Come here Annie.  I love you.  Don’t be afraid, I won’t hurt you.’

‘You already have’ said Anne, blood still weeping from her breast.  She wiped it away and pulled her dress back over her shoulders without wasting time trying to reinstate her bra.  Doing the buttons up on the front of her dress, she looked at her boyfriend of eight weeks and wondered what had happened to trigger this strange, and painful, behaviour.

‘I really am sorry, Anne.  Let’s sit down and have some lunch.  I brought some lovely smoked salmon and lots of Brie.  There’s salad; have some salad, Annie.’

Richard patted the blanket next to where he was sitting.  ‘Come on, darling, sit down here.’  Anne sat down cautiously not  knowing whether to trust this man that she thought she knew, but about whom she was now having doubts.

‘Here you are, Annie’ he said as he offered a biscuit and smoked salmon to her lips.  Annie took a bite and savoured the wonderful taste.  She really loved smoke salmon.  How did he know?  They’d never had this before.  Richard refilled Anne’s glass and passed it to her.  Anne took a small sip, and then a larger one, and smiled at Richard.  Perhaps he had just got over excited after all.  She leant forward and kissed him passionately.  His hand automatically found the contours of her right breast, his index finger covering the patch of blood that had seeped through her dress.

‘This is such a wonderful place, Richard.  Where are we?’

‘It’s a secret, my dear.  I’ve been visiting this place for many years.  Hardly anyone knows about it.  It’s very private.’

‘Do you ever see anyone else here?’

‘No, Annie, I never see anyone else here and no-one else has ever seen me here.  I like it that way, Annie.  Sometimes people can be such a nuisance, getting in the way of plans and things.  Have some more champagne, Annie.’

‘I’d better not, Richard, I don’t think it’s a good idea to be drinking too much just a few metres from the edge of a cliff.  You wouldn’t want me to fall, would you?’

‘Of course not, darling, I’ll look after you.  I always look after beautiful girls.’

‘What do you mean Richard. that you always look after beautiful girls?  Have you brought other girlfriends here?  I thought that this was special; only for me.’

‘Of course it’s special, Annie.  Here, darling, have some more smoked salmon.’

‘Why aren’t you having any, Richard?  You haven’t touched the salmon yet.  There’s nothing wrong with it, is there?’

‘You’re getting paranoid, Annie.  I’m just not hungry at the moment.  Besides, it’s best not to have a full stomach sometimes, especially if you have work to do.’  Anne was feeling the effects of the champagne, her eyes trying to focus on Richard as he gazed at her without emotion.

‘Yoo-hoo, Richard.’  Anne waved her hand in front of Richards face.

‘Yes; sorry, I was miles away.  Let me top up your glass.  Don’t want you getting thirsty, do we?’

‘I really shouldn’t have any more, Richard.’  Anne stumbled to her feet and took a few, uncertain, steps.  ‘Come and dance with me, Richard.  Come and waltz.  Do you know how to waltz, Richard?  Mummy and Daddy taught me how to waltz.  I’m rambling, aren’t I?  Anne waltzed around the clearing in arcs, her arms out embracing an imaginary partner.  Round and around she went.  Richard followed her with eyes vacant of feeling, although he smiled in anticipation of what would follow.

‘Be careful, Annie, don’t get too near the edge.’

Anne spun around and fell into Richard’s arms.  They kissed slowly, and then Anne pulled away from their embrace and resumed her pirouette.  She fell to the ground, half on, half off, the blanket.

‘Tell me, Richard, exactly how many girls have you brought to this place?’

‘That’s not important, Annie.  I’ve got you here now.’

‘I want to know, Richard’ said Anne, the alcohol affecting her voice and her brain.

‘You’re very special, you know, Annie.  I only bring special people here.  You know that I had a girlfriend before I met you.  I told you that.  I brought Jane here.  It’s a wonderful, magic, place.  Don’t you feel that too, Annie?  That it’s magical.  Jane kept saying that this clearing was like a airstrip on top of the cliff.  She thought that she could fly.  So did Mary, my first wife.’

‘I didn’t know that you were married.  What happened?  Did you get divorced?’

‘Let’s just say that Mary left me.’

‘When was that, Richard?’

‘I don’t recall now, Annie.  Time flies, just like Jane.’

Anne suddenly felt goose bumps and the effect of the champagne diminished.  She stood up and looked at Richard.  ‘Where is Jane?’

‘Oh, I don’t really know now.  You know how it is, here today gone tomorrow.’

‘Richard, I’m scared.  Can we go home now please?’

‘Of course, darling.  Here let me take your hand.’

Richard helped Anne to her feet and grabbed at her dress, ripping the top three buttons.  ‘I just need to see if there’s any more blood to clean up.’  Anne shook him free and took one step backwards for every one that he took forward.

‘I’ll scream, Richard, if you don’t take me home straight away.’

‘But darling, who’s going to hear a scream?  You might attract a seagull but not much else.’  Richard smiled as he walked towards Anne.  ‘You’re getting very close to the edge, Annie.  Why don’t you stop?  I won’t hurt you.’  Richard lunged at his girlfriend as Anne lost her footing at the edge of the cliff.  She screamed as she slipped over the precipice and grabbed for anything, everything, she could.  Her hands gripped on to a small rock that was embedded just over the edge of the cliff, her hands cut from the fall.

‘Oh Richard, please, please help me.’

‘You asked about my other girls.  That was none of your business.’  He stared coldly into her eyes. ‘You shouldn’t pry into other people’s business.  That’s the sort of thing that gets people into trouble.’

‘I’m sorry, Richard.  I didn’t mean to pry.  Please help me, Richard.  I can’t hold on much longer.’

Anne quickly glanced at the rocks below her.  She could hardly make them out, they were so far away, and anyway, the tears in her eyes skewed her vision.

‘Jane was the same.  She was alright at first.  We had some good times and then she started asking about my other girls.  We came for a picnic here, Jane and I.  It was a lovely day, just like today.  We had champagne then too.  Then she went on and on about Mary.  “What was she like; what did we do; where was she now”.  My head nearly exploded with all the questions!’

‘Please, Richard’ Anne implored, ‘help me now.  I’ll do anything for you, honestly, anything at all.  I won’t tell anyone about today, just help me, please.’

Anne was sobbing, her body shaking uncontrollably, the blood from the cuts on her hands making patterns on her arms.  She just wanted to go home.  She didn’t want to die.  Richard leant over the edge of the cliff and extended his hand in front of Anne.  She wasn’t sure if she should risk releasing one of her hands gripping the rock to reach him.  That would weaken her hold on the rock.  What would happen if she couldn’t hold on with one hand?  Could she actually reach him?

Richard smiled as he looked down at Anne, all the time keeping his outstretched hand just out of reach.

‘I like girls’ he said.  ‘The trouble is, they don’t seem to understand me.  I don’t know why.  I’m a reasonable man, aren’t I?  Well, aren’t I, Anne?’

‘Yes Richard, you are’

‘I am what, Anne?  Say it!’

‘You’re a reasonable man, Richard’ Anne cried.  ‘Now, please help me.’

Richard withdrew is hand and turned away from the cliff edge.

‘Come back!  Come back, Richard!’  Anne’s grip was weakening.

Richard turned to face Anne again.

‘We made love here, Jane and I.  It was the best time.’

‘What happened to Jane, Richard?  Where is she now?’

‘She wanted to fly, Anne.  She wanted to be free.  Do you want to be free, Anne?’

‘Did you kill her, Richard?’

‘Well, that’s a very strong word, Anne.  I don’t think I like that word much.  Let’s just say that she’s not in my life anymore.

Do you know, when we made love here, Jane and I, she bled, just like you, Anne.  Another accident!  I just can’t control my teeth sometimes.’

‘You killed her, didn’t you, Richard?  Jane was the mystery blonde found at the bottom of Lovers Leap rocks.  Now I know where we are!  You threw her off the cliff, didn’t you?  Poor Jane!’

Richard stepped closer to Anne and rested his foot gently on top of her hands still  locked around the small rock that was, for the moment, her only link with safety.

‘Don’t, Richard.  Please don’t.’

‘And do you know the funny thing, Anne?

The funny thing is, they said I wasn’t fit to stand trial…

© 2012 Valentine Whellens


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh! This is a great story. Your writing style is tight and carried just enough description to take me into the scene.

It was refreshing to read something written in the style of the UK. The nuances of our two languages make for an interesting contrast.

I did not notice anything that would need correction.
I really enjoy it. Well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Oh! This is a great story. Your writing style is tight and carried just enough description to take me into the scene.

It was refreshing to read something written in the style of the UK. The nuances of our two languages make for an interesting contrast.

I did not notice anything that would need correction.
I really enjoy it. Well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 9, 2012
Last Updated on July 10, 2012

Author

Valentine Whellens
Valentine Whellens

Gold Coast, Australia



About
Born in the UK, I have lived in Australia for over thirty years, the last nine in Queensland. I've been writing for many years, mainly for myself and close friends & family, but never for anyone I di.. more..