Day 4

Day 4

A Chapter by Vasco De Mello

Day 4 Entry 8
It has been many flights in such a short time, I almost feel like a migrating bird, stuck in the sky on my long journey. This flight has taken me to the city of Penang, the capital of cuisine in South East Asia, so I am told. With such a diverse community of different people, you can see why this is so. As if a fishing net has been cast all across the land reaching the 4 corners, Japan, Korea as far as India and Bangladesh, stretching across, capturing all the tastes and colour to be brought back to Penang. A symphony of food with many spices, herbs and refreshing drinks.
My journey here however, will be accompanied by another.
It was six years ago that at the city of Leicester, the midlands of England, I met Sophia. Her ability to create and tell stories, fascinated me. She brought characters to life with such richness and care, it was no surprise that we soon worked together and became close friends. Our circle grew as I met more people with a desire to create stories and together we picked apart Leicester, learning its streets and tales hidden round every corner. The history yet unearthed was ours for the taking, but I digress, that is another tale filled with tales. For three years we called Leicester home, soon we all parted ways, some deciding to stay in Leicester and explore deeper, others like myself, returning to where we came from. Me to my estate in London and Sophia back to Penang. Invitations were not spared to all. The circle never broken, just widened as to let more join.
Since then, London has kept me busy with many jobs, but today I accept Sophia’s invitation to her beautiful city, so that she may share her culture and tales, just like I had of England. Our meeting came to pass in the morning, as I came to land, sun mercilessly beating down on me, she greeted me at the air-port. The sun not affecting her as much as me, was clearly a friendly face she saw daily.
The stay here will be close to four weeks, making it the majority of my travels, there is much to do, but I can choose to live and relax as I do so. First most, I must put tongue to theory and taste of the lovely food I have travelled so far seeking. We ate at a local place, strangely filled with posters and music in the air of popular rock ballads, the food almost felt out of place, but as hoped was delicious. Instantly I was filled with happiness, every bite warming my belly and joy could be seen in my eyes. Already I predict a very gastronomical and stupendous four weeks, wishing I could bring the food away with me on my return.
Once satisfied, the rest of the day was spent purchasing a few necessities such shampoo and spray, exploring a little of the city and painting our Christmas tree gold. It was originally white, we could have painted it green, but gold is so much more interesting, its colours clashing with the purple and white of the decorations seem to stand out more and you can never have something new unless you do something different.
You may read this and wonder why I am not using every bit of my time to see the city. Why am I taking my time? I have found in my travels, it is much better to live and really enjoy what is found in the most innocent of walks. When speaking to another traveller a while back, he told me something quite profound. You see he had been travelling for many months, but never too long in each town. He did not rush, but neither did he stop to stare and enjoy the beauty of every temple and majestic mountain. It soon became that every temple, every mountain, even every person he met, was the same as the last. It was only when he slowed down that he learned to appreciate each and every sight, to really speak with every person and find that secrets are hidden everywhere and new sights are opened when shown by a friendly face. Looking back at so many missed opportunities did fill him with regret for a moment, but I reminded him of his journey back, not to make the same mistake and breath life to his travels.
All these temples, palaces, mountains, trees, plantations, cultures, people and smiles. You can organise them into little families if your mind must separate thoughts, but every single one has its story and each one cannot be more different.
I may not have done much today, but I have seen much, in the life of the city, with its coloured bricks, hanging lights, buildings rich with history all living in harmony with the trees and mountain. The day filled with the sound of car horns, birds, cyclists ringing their bell and proclamations of food that I vow to return to taste. The night, ruled by the mountain as cyclists still roam about, food is still shared but the noise that dominates steadily is the cicadas humming in the air.
It is indeed a beautiful city I am most fortunate to lie in. The story of which will be weaved before me like a tapestry of colours, lights, smells and taste orchestrated by the sound of its beating heart.
My tale of Penang begins.


© 2016 Vasco De Mello


Author's Note

Vasco De Mello
First Draft. First story ever actually. Looking for advice and critique, even harsh critique.
The basis is my own actual journey, but instead of writing it through my eyes, I am writing it through the eyes of a character I created. His opinions and fantastical creatures and ghosts he would meet, based on stories and legends I hear on my actual travel.
Please enjoy and tell me anything and everything.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on January 13, 2016
Last Updated on January 13, 2016
Tags: penang, travel, old, friend, day, four, food, city, colour, life, journey, fantasy, story, journal


Author

Vasco De Mello
Vasco De Mello

London, West End, United Kingdom



About
I have been reading for as long as I can remember, all kinds of stories, but the ones that excited me most were new worlds or imaginings. Reading about distant lands, fantastical creatures and strange.. more..

Writing
Day 1 Day 1

A Chapter by Vasco De Mello


Day 2 Day 2

A Chapter by Vasco De Mello