Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by VassD
"

Ania's reflection of the past.

"
You would think in a world where women rule that a female child would be free to pursue whatever she may. But every family-- and mine especially-- has a set rule of what each child is to do. For the last several hundred years, the eldest daughter has been sent to The Forge in the capital to learn weaponry, and then joins the army. And she is the only one allowed to do so. Without fail. Tradition must be upheld. Each daughter in turn is sent a different Academy, and learns a different field.

I am the seventh daughter, and you do not have seven daughters. Ever. My family has only ever had six daughters. There are many tapestries in my home, each portraying the family tree. Always six daughters. Except for the last two generations, my own and my mother's. My aunt, Alliania, was a seventh daughter. And she was different. With everyone else, the only time you ever escape the suffocating pressure of this society is the first six years of your life, and a few years after you graduate from the Academy. During the Academy, you must follow every order, rule, procedure, everything-right down to the letter. After the Academy, you follow what those of higher rank tell you to do. And there is always a higher rank. 

Except for the Knights. 

The Knights of the Covenant are the secure ring of fighters that surround the Queen. My aunt was a Knight. She died in the Joconan Invasion when I was seven. That was the last anyone heard of them for almost six years. Everyone shut them out because they were different. I once asked my aunt why everyone gave us mean looks when we walked through town.  She looked at me and said they were mad at her and the rest of the Knights because "We don't follow their rules."  Their order seemed chaotic in comparison to the oppressive, controlling way of the outside world. Everyone forgot them because they were afraid of choices. 

I wasn't. My aunt would visit me every few months, and tell me wondrous stories of the Knights.  She taught me the Knight's Pledge, and I modeled my every action after it. I dreamed of becoming a Knight ever since I was old enough to realize what it meant. But when she died just before my eighth birthday, I had to forget the dream. My mother never approved of my aunt, and I knew she wouldn't let me try to become a Knight so soon after my aunt's death. People know very little about the Knights, but one thing they all know is that no Knight dies of old age. 

But one day when I was twelve, almost four years to the day after my aunt's death, I saw a messenger in the town square nailing a notice to several store fronts. It was a call for children ages eleven to thirteen to come and join the ranks of the Knights. The dream that had lain dormant for so long flared to life with a vibrant hope. With all other thoughts suppressed and ignored, I ran back to my house, hoping and praying my mother had changed.

Hope is a fickle thing.


© 2012 VassD


Author's Note

VassD
If you pick up on any inconsistencies, let me know. I had to change her age half way through the process, and I don't know if I got everything. As a head's up, her aunt died when she was 8. There might be spots where it says six. If so, let me know and I'll fix it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

its interesting. It really makes me want to read on :) Good writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sounds interesting so far, can't wait to read more XD

Posted 11 Years Ago


An intruiging beginning, I look forward to reading more!

You said her aunt died when she was seven? and in the notes you said it should be eight :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

267 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on November 16, 2011
Last Updated on April 25, 2012
Tags: knights, fantasy, magic, covenant


Author

VassD
VassD

A tiny random town-city-dimension, ID



About
I'm a fledgling author with dreams about as big as one of Robert Jordan's books. Maybe more than one on top of each other. I love writing fantasy and science fiction stories (No matter how long a piec.. more..

Writing
Synopsis Synopsis

A Chapter by VassD