Feet don't fail me now

Feet don't fail me now

A Chapter by Venompen
"

The love child of Indiana Jones and James Bond couldn't get out of this one.

"

I am an idiot.  Curiosity killed the cat, and it was coming for me.  I spun around faster than I could blink and I practically flew up the hill.  I was going ten feet with every leaping step, going as fast I possibly could, panting like a dog that just crawled out of hell, and this Halloween reject was barely strolling to keep up with me.  He was toying with me, waiting for me to tire out so he could smear me across the asphalt with a massive clawed foot.  I could hear his booming steps getting gradually closer.  I knew that I couldn't outrun it.  I started looking for options.  The roads were deserted, people had fled in their cars at the start of this chaos.  No loose debris anywhere.  My only hope at that point was the construction site, but it was blocks away.  I was about to give up hope when my eyes caught something hiding between the bars of a metal rail.  A skateboard.  I skidded to a stop, my aching legs protesting, and removed it from its prison.  Not a moment too soon, I launched myself down the massive hill.  A monstrous foot smashed into the bars right where I used to be.   I gathered speed, the trees whizzed by me.  I urged the board forward with one leg, adding more speed to helpful pull of gravity.  Soon, the gap between the beast and I was wide again.  My eyes stung from the chilling wind, but I held my balance. 

 

I swerved into the construction site two blocks ahead of the demon, plowing straight through the "No Trespassing" sign.  The board skittered to a halt on the gravel as I leapt off in a beeline for the crane.  Workers clad in safety orange and neon yellow dove into my path to try and stop me,  "RUN!"  I yelled as loud as I possibly could!  "RUN D****T RUN!"  I was punctuated by another otherworldy roar, and they scattered like roaches in the light.  I finally reached my destination, the towering humming machine, a huge steel beam in its hanging arm.  Thanks to the chaos, the keys were still in the ignition, the machine was still on.  Praying I was right, I slammed the joystick to the right and the whole contraption began to turn.

 

Faster, faster, and faster it spun, slowly gathering speed.  The beam was spinning wildly as the cable soared above the ground.  Pound after pound after sickening pound I could here that massive creature recovering ground.  I saw it, towring above the fence, its skeletal body framed against the moonlit clouds.  It saw me, and its pumpkin face broke into a ramshackle grin.  He roared, a peculiar stuttering roar this time.  Like laughter eminating from the bowels of hell.

 

The machine screeched and sparked in mechanical agony, protesting the misuse of its gears, but I did not relent.  I had one shot at this.  I rested my hand on the lever marked "Release."  The great demon plodded forward, its misshapen frame looming ever closer.  It crushed machinery and tools beneath its massive feet, as it slowly stepped within range.  He stooped, and picked up a wrecked bulldozer with his long, black, arm, and he drew back to throw.  I was out of time.  I approximated the angle of the shot as I spun around one final time.  I threw the lever and jumped the cab.



© 2011 Venompen


Author's Note

Venompen
I keep shifting to present tense automatically, but it is supposed to be past tense. Let me know if I missed anything when I corrected it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

AH! Cliff Hangers! ARG! I HATE THEM! It was really good, your imagery is very good and each chapter you write just makes me long for more, I can't wait! to read your next chapter! :D

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

328 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 18, 2011
Last Updated on February 15, 2011
Tags: Peter, demon, teen, running, escape, halloween, pumpkin, skeleton, fear


Author

Venompen
Venompen

Los Alamos, NM



About
I do not review your work unless you review mine. I hold this policy because, thanks to all the quick and easy poetry on this site, noone spares a second for a story author such as myself. If you've.. more..

Writing
Murphy's Law Murphy's Law

A Chapter by Venompen


The Glow The Glow

A Book by Venompen