Bad Side of a Chainsaw

Bad Side of a Chainsaw

A Chapter by Venompen
"

Overzealous rednecks and chainsaws. NOT FOR THE QUEASY.

"

I followed Doc down the hall.  I found him in the back room, peering into a microscope.
"Doc?"  I said, making him jump.  "I still have some questions."
"Start yappin'" he said, without turning.
"What exactly is this place?"  I asked.  "I mean, I know that a bunch of clinics got shangheid by the IMC-"
"But you want to know what went on." he said.  he fiddled with a knob on the side of the microscope.  "You aren't the first one to ask me that."
"So what happened?"  I asked.
"This lab?  Exclusively used for autopsies.  Sometimes on living subjects."  He twiddled the dial some more.  "Living-ish anyway."
"But other labs?" I pressed.
"Other labs were used for the observation of living subjects."  He changed out one slide for another.  "I'm pretty sure that at least one lab was used to try and cultivate a safe to observe sample of the fungus."
"Which lab was that?"  I asked, curious.
"Either lab five or lab six."  he said, again fiddling with the dials and knobs.
"How many la-" I started.
"Thirteen.  This lab was the end of the line.  Quarantine went to hell after that."  He turned to face me.  "Something went wrong.  I haven't been able to find out from any records.  They just stop, like all of a sudden there was no one to write them."
I was going to ask him more, even though I got the feeling there wasn't much left to ask, but thats when the nurse from the lobby came bounding down the hall.
"REDNECKS," she yelped.  She sounded like she feared rednecks like most people fear zombie bears. "HIDE!"  Doc leapt to his feet and grabbed a filing cabinet by the back.  He swung it out of the way, revealing a hidden room.
"MOVE!" he barked.  I could hear someone trying to start up a chainsaw.  I leapt into the room behind the nurse.  It all went black, and I heard a click as Doc locked the hidden door shut behind us.  None of us could move more than a few inches.  I could hear the low stuttering hum of an idling motor from outside.  No one breathed.
Seconds passed. The chainsaw buzzed, and I heard something plastic being shredded.  I had to clap my hand over the nurses mouth so she wouldn't scream.  The idling faded away, and I heard a car door slam.  Something with a big engine and a bad muffler coughed to life outside.  Silence.

After what seemed like hours of deafening quiet, Doc turned the lock and we all fell out of the room like water from a collapsing dam.  I got to my feet and started picking bits of sharp... something... out of my a*s.
"Bollocks!"  Doc said.
"What?"  I said, bewildered.
"The yank shredded my microscope!"  He growled.  "Bloody b******s break everything they set eyes on."
"I meant, what are 'bollocks'?" I said.
"Testicles."  Doc said
"Testicles."  I said, making sure I heard him right.
"Testicles." he said, heading out the door.  The nurse was still sitting on the floor.
"Are you ok?"  I said, offering her my hand.  She took it, and I hauled her to her feet.
"Yeah..."  She said.  "I think I'm alright.  I'm sorry it's just- I get so flustered around-"
"Maniacs with chainsaws?"  I offered helpfully.
"Well you make it sound so silly."  She said.
"Say it so it doesn't sound silly."  I countered.
 She cracked a smile, and then a few giggles escaped her lips.  Then she burst out laughing.  "Thanks,"  she said when she calmed down a bit.  "I needed that."  For a corpse, she had a lovely smile.
"No problem, Miss..."  its amazing how long you can talk to someone without learning their name isn't it?
"Maria"  she said, offering me her hand again.   "Maria Guasto."
"David Akuji,"  I said, shaking it.  Her hand, not my name.

There was carnage in the street.    A few of the feral zombie's  I'd seen walking in laid groaning in rusty brown puddles on the sidewalk.  I looked closer, and nearly threw up when I saw that the poor things were lying dismembered and disembowled in puddles of their own shredded gore.  I know they were bloodthirsty beasts, but come on!  There were jagged bones sticking out of organs, splatters of jet black and florescent blue, limbs lying yards away.  It was so scary that they were obviously still alive.  If I hadn't been where I was... that might've been me.  I came to my sense when I heard a loud BANG erupted next to me.  Maria was clingin to my shoulder like some kind of terrified fungus (which she kinda was) and Doc was standing over one of the zombies with a smoking shotgun.
"Two shots,"  he said, loading a second round.  "One to the brain, one to the mycellium."  He fired another round into the zombie's chest cavity, and what little movement there was stopped.  Eight more shots rang out as we walked down the street.



© 2011 Venompen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I just absolutley love this

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ah, so many plus points about this chapter. In fact, I was sad it was over! This is like a comedy zombie thing, which I really like. The testicles part was hilarious, but at the same time the guts lying on the street was hideous. I actually felt very ill reading it. I like how he's gone to this Doc who seems to know all the answers, and that the conversation is fresh enough that I don't at all feel tempted to skip over it. My niggle is not with the chapter itself but the story as a whole. I know there's only four chapters so far, but I'm failing to see how this will develop into a plot line. No story is coming together yet, it's more like a series of random exchanges. I trust you to create a good plot, though. This piece is just so much fun to read.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

308 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 30, 2011
Last Updated on August 30, 2011
Tags: Zombie, redneck, chainsaw


Author

Venompen
Venompen

Los Alamos, NM



About
I do not review your work unless you review mine. I hold this policy because, thanks to all the quick and easy poetry on this site, noone spares a second for a story author such as myself. If you've.. more..

Writing
Murphy's Law Murphy's Law

A Chapter by Venompen


The Glow The Glow

A Book by Venompen