Flicker

Flicker

A Story by Carla Vicknair
"

I was unsure where this fit in, but this is a piece about when a special someone first opened up to me.

"
Have you ever felt like the world was yours? Like all the secrets, conspiracies, theories, answers and even the sky was laid bare before you? I had not until the previous night, in the dim of a nightlight. I was on my tummy and looking to my left. In a matter of seconds, I noticed you laying adjacently beside me, smiling. A half-crooked grin with a whole-hearted meaning. You smiled at me. In that flicker of time, I don't think we've ever shared a moment more beautiful. I swear to you my life flashed before my eyes - though I was not simply dying. A piece of my past had died off, but a piece of who I was becoming had awakened. I turned away; it had become hard to breathe. I jokingly shouted, "Don't look at me!" Afterward, I caught my breath in the fluff of my pillow. 

Until then, I had never seen real radiance from you. That too often ate at my being, like the habit of a parasitic creature. You knew how to appropriately respond in situations, but you never appeared to be as free or limitless as you had in that split second. My god, you made my life present itself in an entirely new and exciting fashion. I loved every minute of it. The best part of it was that whatever I had said or done was the cause of that smile. I had permission to glance into your soul from the outside.

Is that not what most people die for?
Is that not what one would live forever for?
Is it not?

In a flicker a part of me had changed. Life changed. The stars changed, and the air was less dense. The universe no longer attacked me. It embraced me. 

All there is to do now is wait for your smile to greet me again. Come on out and remind me of what love is.

© 2012 Carla Vicknair


Author's Note

Carla Vicknair
What would classify this as? What needs to be improved?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on October 26, 2012
Last Updated on October 26, 2012
Tags: Flicker, Vicknair

Author

Carla Vicknair
Carla Vicknair

Monroe, LA



About
I'm Carla Vicknair. I am nineteen, and I have been writing as far back as I can remember. I was born with Cerebral Palsy. Writing always enabled me to free myself from the bindings of a wheelchair. I .. more..

Writing