Dead Can Dance

Dead Can Dance

A Story by Autumn

     The curtains danced with the winter wind. The bedroom was swallowed in darkness but a few candles half dead melting on the nightstand. The shadows monsters were eating the pale pink walls. Despite the cold wind blowing, the remaining candles were still fighting, burning alone their lives away.
    
     The wood in the chimney had consume itself while the sun had set, stopping the shadows monsters from dancing to the rhytme of the crackling fire.
     
     Life seemed to have left with the soft melody, but still breathing, a little girl remained in her bed. Some snow flakes entered the room, flaying around to slowly melt on the feverish skin of the little girl. 
     
     Once her long and wavy hair were as golden bright as the sun, full of life and wild by nature. The colour had passed, their strength had gone, leaving them straight and dim. The little girl's proudest gift had been falling out and breakably dry as straw. 

     Her older sister was kneeling down on the floor, by her side. She could feel the sickness eating her own body, as her brown chocolate hair were falling on her chaulders. She was watching her future death trough her sister, what would become of her, what she would go through - slow and painful death. 

  "Will we go to the park tomorrow?" the little girl asked, her voice fadding like vapour. 

     Anne knew. She knew her sister wouldn't survive until dawn. A new day, a new death. Holding the tears from drowning her pale visage, she nodded. Maybe, she hoped, that by saying yes, God would give Suzanne a chance to celebrate her soon 6th birthday. 

     Suzanne felt the dishonesty of her 4-years-older-sister, but she still wanted to hear the tale of a tomorrow that she would never live again. 

  "Yes, tomorrow I'll take you to the parc," Anne started to narrate the adventure of a beautiful myth, "and we will picnic under the shade of the oak tree, by the river. The birds will sing again for us and the wind will play with our dresses and make our hair go wild like the fire." 

     While telling the story, Anne felt herself get carried away by her own lie, forgetting Death patiently patiently, sat by her sister 's side. 

  "Will mum be there?" Suzanne asked softly. Waiting a few seconds before answering, Anne searched in sister's eyes what answer she was looking for. 

  "Yes," she finally said crying, "she will be there." 
  "But then...you won't be there with us?" 
  "No sweetheart, I will not be there..." 

     Tears started to roll on Suzanne's burning red cheeks. 

  "But I'll join you soon," Anne wishpered grabbing her sister's hand and holing it near her face, "I promise." 

     Anne cringed in utter terror as she watched Death approach her sister and claim her. A forshadowing of things to come for Anne and, eventually, each and every one of us.

     Suzanne's tighly closed hand was slowly relieving the tension, revealing a cross necklace, allowing it to fall silenty on the floor.

© 2012 Autumn


Author's Note

Autumn
I just wrote this short story.. I still need to check the grammar and to improve it, but I wanted to know what you think of it for now.

Thanks to Dean Kuch for helping improving this draft.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Definate potential. It paints a picture and makes you care for the girls. I want to see more but it needs editing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I think it is good for a first draft. I definitely want to know more, like what made everybody sick and maybe what time period this takes place in. I do like where this is headed, though.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

the acceptance of her own death shines brightly through in the girls characters they do not try to fight it nor regret it i love that they imagine a new perfect world together where they can play and be with their family

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Kes
Very eery... I really like this. I've always had a morbid fascination with my own mortality, so I suppose that's part of the appeal. That and the fact that it's a well thought-out and well-written story, of course. :)
Great work.
K

Posted 11 Years Ago


You just know that Anne cringed in utter terror as she watched Death approach her sister and claim her. A forshadowing of things to come for Anne and, eventually, each and every one of us.
As you've stated, this is a first draft. But once you tweek it and perfect it, you're really going to have something special here.
Great start...

Posted 11 Years Ago


Autumn

11 Years Ago

I have read your word, that's why i made such a statment :P i really like the way you write.
Dean Kuch®

11 Years Ago

I appreciate that. I like the way you write too. ( Couldn't help but think of the 1996 movie, SLING .. read more
Autumn

11 Years Ago

Hahaha, true! Well in any case if you are interested let me know, if not any time you see where i co.. read more
This is sweet and sad. Great for a first draft. I would love to read it after you have finished with it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I think you've got something here. A good start. Not sure where you are going to go with it, but I like your writing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Autumn

11 Years Ago

For now i just wanted to write a short piece, i wrote it in a few minutes not knowing myself where i.. read more
This is a sad, but very good story. I sense a larger story behind it; you might want to expand on this a little...or perhaps it's best to leave it to the reader's imagination.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Autumn

11 Years Ago

Thank you :) really appreciate your review! I was thinking about expanding it actually.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
its really sad, a good story of innocence slipping away to death. wonderful..

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

501 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 8, 2012
Last Updated on July 9, 2012

Author

Autumn
Autumn

London, Kingston, United Kingdom



About
more..

Writing
Borderline Evil Borderline Evil

A Story by Autumn


The Swing The Swing

A Story by Autumn