Snow in the Courtyard

Snow in the Courtyard

A Story by Gimmic the Victor
"

So, this is a short story that I wrote for a contest, while listening to some buddhist meditation music.

"

There in the abandoned courtyard sat a figure as still as grey stone. Covered in the fresh powdering of the snow, the silver in their eyes cast a brilliant glare. I remember standing there, my eyes fixated with their gaze as cold lace fell against my cheeks, littering my hair with droplets of cool water. I almost forgot to breathe yet my chest continued to rise and fall. Beauty resided upon the curves of their face, of alabaster wondering if the figure was made of the same stone that lay cracked and abandoned. But the figure drew breath, and stood with fluidity, as if one with the falling snow, rather than apart. Long delicate fingers reached out to mine, and was held aloft as I clutched at the worn wool shawl cast about my shoulders. For what seemed an eternity, they stood there, hand carefully cupped into an open gesture. For what seemed a lifetime, I stared openly, into their eyes. I held no fear. I held no sense of time. It was just they, and I. Not knowing who they were, or even if the beautiful creature, in the guise of a human form, was even human at all or who they were before. All that I felt, was the warmth of their hand, as I took their hand in mine. All that I was, was with them everything else, everything I had ever known mattered no longer. When they spoke, with a voice as soft, and as gentle as a wave against stone, I felt the ice within my heart erode. All the pain I held before, melted. All the worry and doubt, was of no consequence. When their arms wrapped around me, I felt the vastness of space become small, small, warm and constant. A warmth that held me high, in the spiraling clouds, overlooking the beauty of all that was within the world. As their lips parted into a smile, I could feel sunlight fall upon my face, the warmth cast by rays that cut through stormy clouds. When I closed my eyes and sighed, I knew that in this moment, I was woven into their light. I was woven into a mesh of fibers made of my flesh, and theirs. Alone we were but sparse twine, together a tapestry of a grand design.

And yet, when I opened my eyes the moment had passed. The figure and their warmth stepped away, and I felt all the world, all my memories flurry, like a blizzard of fated fireflies. The figure was gone, I was alone again, standing barefoot in the courtyard. My hands stretched up towards the grey clouds, and I closed my eyes, willing to feel that moment again. Just to be there again. But the moment was gone. The figure had left. I was all alone. Then, the clouds parted, just for a moment, and I felt the sun again. I smiled. All was well.

 

© 2015 Gimmic the Victor


Author's Note

Gimmic the Victor
Any thoughts? Does it flow well? Something to change?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I was in heaven with angels all around me and then taken back to earth...but then the sun came out haha! Was I way off on your objective? I really liked it!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gimmic the Victor

8 Years Ago

I honestly gave very little thought into the piece, and just allowed the music I was listening to at.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 23, 2015
Last Updated on December 23, 2015
Tags: fantasy, genderless, short story, one shot, snow, courtyard

Author

Gimmic the Victor
Gimmic the Victor

Your twisted little mind., NH



About
Not much to say. I'm Victor, though I go by my nickname, Vic. I write when I find the time...either college work steals my time or uh. ~Coughs~ Skyrim of late. There is nothing super new up, but I am .. more..

Writing