The Last Night

The Last Night

A Story by Vin

 

It's raining again. Pouring down my window like sheets of delicate plastic. I could watch it forever, forget about everything and just lose myself in the water's graceful movemens. The raging wind serving as such appropriate background music to the thoughts tearing through my mind like bullets against paper. As the meaningless clatter rising from downstairs begins to fade away, the sounds of nature whisk me down in to the deepest, forbidden corners of my mind. This is where the memories of the pure, buoyant child I once was are buried. It has been quite some time since I last ventured here. The contrast between the euphoric past and the more obscure present is outstanding. Almost breathtaking.

I replay every exuberant moment of my fragile childhood as though they are recorded home movies, safe from the risks of permanent destruction. How inadequate. Try as rigorously as I have to eradicate these haunting retentions, my futile attempts have proved obsolete. They seem immortal; indestructable. Knowing the future won't be anything similar to the past crushes what little is left of the miraculously continued beating apparatus in my chest until another shard crumbles to nothing. There are, however, some memories which I will forever treasure and keep secure to my soul if not my heart. It is the way She never once failed to tuck me in to bed at night and genuinely mean it when she said she loved me. The way she always wore a smile, never thought nor said anything hurtful about anyone. I believe with every molecule of my being that she was an honest-to-God angel sent down to Earth. And I, was extravagantly blessed to have had her as my mother.

Perhaps you are curious about the past tense? Then again, perhaps you aren't. I am not very well educated about the people living in today's society. When considering the beings on the floor below myself, I am not so sure I care to have any more knowledge thn what I have already gained. The terrifying lessons they teach leave both the mind and body eternally scarred. Innocence is a beautiful thing, pure as the tranquil snow in the sacred months of winter. However, just like snow, it melts, for some people it is destroyed on purpose; for others it happens over time, nothing drastic or too painful. Those are the lucky ones.           

I am dragged from my train of thought as the thunderous booming from the stairway finds its way through my ears to send the sufficient alarm signals to my brain. It is time. This is what bellows from the mouths of the men now in the centre of my floor, I silently make my way behind them, trudging down the two sets of stairs that lead to the dark, merciless basement where for the past few years I have spent most of my time. It is where Hell is situated. It is where the beast inside me is at its worst. Tonight is the night that the moon is at its fullest and is deep crimson in colour. Meaning only one thing. Tonight is the night my fate is decided.

Immediately the men get to work. Two of them raise my arms to the chains that hang securely from the ceiling whilst the others lock my ankles into place with the chains from the floor. It won't be long now. Soon, I will be what the monstrosities around me created. The beast that drove me to the murderous rage that killed my mother. I glance around the room, taking in the puddles of murky water from where the rain outside has found shelter, the distinct smell of damp mingled with blood and rage. The scent of unwelcomed death. The walls are stained with blood and are agressively decorated with the results of claws being dragged down them. I desperately cling to my memories of my mother as I begin to tremble gently. I can't help but shed a tear as my last sight of her destroys my more joyous moments with her. She is splayed across the floor, her breathing weak. Through the eyes of the beast her blood drenched body looks to serve as a memorable feast. Her eyes half shut, her torso and arms torn up by the fierce rage of the beast, she tries to comfort both herself and her daughter. "I love you, I always have," she coughs, blood slowly dripping down her chin, "You mean the world to me. I forgive you. And I am sorry, so undeniably sorry for what they have done. You have never done anything to deserve such a vile act of torture." Her face contorts in pain as her frail body is wracked my another spasm from both pain and the cold. "I only hope that someday you will forgive me." The beast roars, pacing back and forth beside her, not knowing the emotions now taking over its mind. It will not be subjected to games and food shall not be played with. With one last strike of its immense claw weilding paw, the beast finishes its malevolent killing.

This only adds to the trembling when I jerk as a more powerful tremor runs through me. This is it.

I let out an ear piercing scream as a tremendous rush of undescribable pain tears through me, grinding against my ribcage. It is as though I have been set alight and then crushed under a monster truck. My body begins to contort to the shape of the beast as another agonising convulsion shakes me. The men start to back into the far corners of the room in an attempt to get as far away from me as is permitted in this cramped cell-like basement. All of them waiting to see who will win this futile battle, myself or the monster within. I feel the Earth shattering rage burn through my veins as the night of my first change and my mother's last day floods my mind like a river to a town during an agravated storm once again. As the wolf that makes up the other part of me takes over what is left of my mind, having taken control of my body, I let my forbidden tears flow from my eyes before it is all over.

The tremors slowly begin to subside, leaving behind excruciating memories of the torment subjected to me prior to this moment. The last details of the change take place as the fur completely covers my skin and the claws extend from my fingertips making them deadly weapons for the hunt that I will participate in very soon.

The men now eye me wearily, waiting to see if I am as temperamental as they suspect me to be. Of course I am, but let's not let them know that just yet. We shall wait until they free me, don't you agree? They work their way over to me and begin removing the chains that bind my wrists and ankles. I get a rush of beautiful adrenaline and excitement as my freedom rapidly approaches. I can smel their fear, hear their shivering echo against the walls of the enclosed space. They are afraid and undoubtably wary. As they rightly should be.

As soon as I am relieved of my restrictions I strike out at the tallest one, my razor sharp claws tearing the imbicile's throat and allowing blood to spurt onto the walls. The others try desperately to make their escape. I move on to decapitate the shortest one, shredding him limb from limb, leaving his head until last. Savouring the tragic look of trepidation upon his face. The other two have not caused me as much torment as the others and so recieve a somewhat more merciful killing. I merely snap their fragile spines with one blow,  the impact sounding similar to the cracking of a twig. Having completed my plan I turn and stalk out of the basement.

Everything is silent, not even the croaking chirp of a cricket can be heard. The padding of my paws seems to echo effortlessly throughout the limitless wilderness as I make my way bllithely out of the building. Pleased that I have sought my revenge against the monsters that made me what I am now and raped me of my mother, I raise my head and let out a rejoicing howl of redemption. Now I can unimpeded. Now I am complete. My head still raised to the sky I open my blood red eyes to glare at the matching full moon, as though letting it know that the trouble it brings does not amuse me. I let my eyes close and lift my feet. Soon I am tearing my way through the night with only one thing on my mind. What is the purpose behind all of the events leading up to and me being here, the way I am?

© 2010 Vin


Author's Note

Vin
An short story I had to write for my English class. Any criticism is welcome here, I'd like to know what I can do to make an old write worth reading :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

345 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 12, 2010
Last Updated on May 12, 2010

Author

Vin
Vin

United Kingdom



About
I love Music, Photography, Literature and Art although maybe not in that order :S I love to laugh, I think it's the best thing we can do as people and I reckon no one does it enough. It is probably.. more..

Writing
Why? Why?

A Poem by Vin


Innocence Innocence

A Poem by Vin


Friendship Lost Friendship Lost

A Poem by Vin