The Golden Tree

The Golden Tree

A Story by Violet Batt
"

A girl who can fly? Vampires, Elves and Fairies? Total fantasy, what could be better?

"

The Golden Tree            

Chapter One

A back yard connected to a vacant lot. Small trees grow between cracks. In the house live a selfish mother and a daughter who can fly. The girl’s name is Jenny. Jenny runs out of the house carrying a string of pearls, mother close behind. The girl leaps off the ground and soars onto an old billboard. The mother is furious, “Come down here and give me back my pearls!” She yells up to the girl.

 “These are mine mom, I found them first.” Jenny said.

 “But now they’re mine!” The mother said. The two quarreled for quite some time. Jenny flew to another tree, the mom followed. Jenny was about to say something, but something else caught her eye, something very shiny. 

Chapter Two

“Wait, mom! This could be more valuable than a string of pearls.” Jenny said.

“Where, where? Let me have it! What is it?” The mom said.

“Looks like a golden tree to me.” Jenny said.

“It’s mine then.” The mom said. Jenny hopped off the billboard and sat by the little tree. “Please?” Jenny asked the tree. Then a voice came from the tree, “What is it that you need from me? If it is good I will give.”

The mom said, “Grow up Jenny, the tree shall be mine and listen to me.”

The tree just said, “I only will listen to the kind young girl’s voice that rings ever so sweetly through the hills.”

Chapter Three

Jenny said, “Tree, I would like more sunshine and rainbows, but I also want fairies and elves and vampires too. Then I might like some chocolate cake.”

“I may grant your wish, young child.” The tree responded. The mom stormed back into the house. As soon as the mom left the tree grew into a full sized tree. “Wow,” Jenny said. All the clouds disappeared leaving a bright blue sky behind. And a huge rainbow stretched from the tree to far away. The smile on Jenny’s face grew when a slice of chocolate cake fell from the tree. “Thanks tree!” Jenny yelled ecstatically.

“Come back tomorrow for the rest of your wish. So Jenny went home.

Chapter Four   

The next day, there were some elves building homes in the vacant lot near the tree. Jenny ran outside and hugged the tree. Another piece of chocolate cake fell from the tree and Jenny shared it with the elves. Her mother looked out the window and scowled. Jenny was racing and playing and frolicking around with the elves. “You guys are so much fun.” Jenny told them. The mother stepped out the house and one of them said, “Intruder!” And shot a little rock at the mom. She darted back inside and growled. The tree said, “Come back tomorrow for more of your wish.” So Jenny went home.

Chapter Five

The next morning there was Fairies in the tree. Jenny ran outside to see them. The Fairies said, “Hello Jenny how is your day?”

Jenny smiled “My day is great,” She answered. The tree gave Jenny three slices of cake this time and she gave one to the Fairies, one to the Elves and one she kept for herself. The tree said, “Come back tonight for more.” The Elves made houses already. Then the mom came out of her house and started yelling at Jenny, so the Fairies temporally turned the mom into an ugly toad. She hopped home. Jenny went inside too to wait for the night to come.

  Chapter Six

That night Jenny came outside and saw colorful vampire bats flying around. “Wow,” She said. A red one perched on one of her shoulders and a gold one on the other. “Thank you for wishing for us.” The red one said. The Elves were in bed and the Fairies were resting on lily pads in a random pond that that showed up. Jenny rubbed the tree and said, “I wish for this pond to become a lake to hold more fairies.”

The tree said, “Come back tomorrow for more.” And that’s what Jenny did, she went home to sleep and wait for the morning to come.

Chapter Seven

By the next morning the bats had rested in the trees and the Fairies were playing in the lake. The Elves had started building a town on the vacant lot, which at this moment wasn’t vacant any more for it was now full of houses. Jenny said, “Since the Elves will eventually run out of room in this vacant lot, let some spread out in this country. Let them build a castle and have a King and Queen.”

The tree said, “Of course, anything you like, I will make.” The mom just glared from the window.

Chapter Eight

Jenny helped the Elves build the castle with a dungeon for the naughty Elves and maybe her mom, it also had guards and many rooms. Jenny then picked a lovely couple of Elves to be the Queen and King. The tree was pleased with the work Jenny did. “Well done Jenny, being generous and not making yourself the Queen. I shall reward you with more Elves since you take such good care of the first.

Chapter Nine

The next day more Elves had arrived. Jenny asked the tree for supplies to make fun things for the Elves and Fairies. So soon Jenny had swords and fountains, mudslides and water slides and a Ferris wheel. The Elves and Fairies had so much fun. Of course Jenny didn’t forget the vampires; she had made more caves for them to rest in. Pretty soon everything around the golden tree looked just like a fantasy world and the mom did not like that. So, she planned to destroy the golden tree.

Chapter Ten

The mom did not give up easily, she found the withered tree. The withered tree was small and bent over, its bark looked like it had been burned. The mother said, “Burnt tree, let me have what I wish for because I think it is unfair that my daughter gets what she wants.” The tree said in a raspy voice, “Of course lady. What you wish for I will make happen as long as it’s evil. I love your point of view.” With that the mother walked home finally happy. Although this withered tree may ruin Jenny’s life.

Chapter 11

The mom snuck out the next morning to get a wish from the withered tree. She said, “Withered tree, I want creatures that want to hog up the land all to them. I want thunder storms and thick fog, but also put a spell on all of the Vampire bats that will make them have a thirst for blood.” The tree said, “Anything you want I will make. Return tomorrow and wish for more.” The mom smiled and ran home before Jenny could spot her. The war is on!

Chapter 12

The next day there was a strange darkness around the withered tree, but the golden tree was glowing and trying to wear off the darkness. From the dark side lightning was spurting up and the once nice and friendly vampire bats were flying around the thick fog. “Mom, what did you do?!” Jenny asked. The mom just snuck off into the darkness. Jenny curled up next to the golden tree and the tree pervaded warmth in the cold harsh weather that was brewing up.

The mom snuck over to the tree in the rain, being careful to avoid the vampire bats that tried to drink even her blood. “Withered tree, let me be the Queen over here and help control the darkness, you can be my King.” (Okay, so that didn’t exactly sound right, especially since the mom is already married.) The tree said, “Of course Queen, you rule with me.”

Chapter 13

Jenny selected a few Elves to be Knights to keep the evil from getting into ‘the kingdom.’ “Be careful out there guys.” Jenny warned the Knights as they exited the castle. The gold tree was holding together, but barely. Two of the vampire bats, however, stayed in the castle. This is because they were the only ones who did not fall under the bloody spell. These ones were a fine red one named Violet and a fine gold one named David. They were told to stay in the castle because if they were to leave the bloody spell would overwhelm them to.

Chapter 14

The war still rages on as the gold tree tries to fight back the withered tree. Then something amazing happened, the door bell rang. The mom rushed inside to answer the door. Jenny’s dad was back. Meanwhile Jenny told the golden tree to take the withered tree and every wish somewhere far away. The mom said to the dad, “Quick go to the vacant lot something awesome is happening!” By the time they get to the door all is calm. The dad said, “What it’s just a vacant lot with Jenny standing in it looking depressed like the last time I saw her. Have you been nice?” The mom just stood there horrified, “But just earlier I was controlling evil with a bent over tree!” She shouted. Jenny turned around and ran and jumped into her father’s arms. “Oh daddy, I missed you, I made new friends and I had to say goodbye.” Jenny said. The dad said, “Well looks like everyone is okay, I’m sorry I had to be gone so long.” The family enters the houses and it looks like everything is back to normal. The string of pearls lays unwanted on the ground.

Chapter 15

If you want to know what happened while the door was being answered, here is what happened. The two bats, Violet and David flew away to live with other bats, they will be back to fly with Jenny one day. The golden tree wrapped around the withered tree and they took the form of a giant golden triangle and took everything with them. The war is still going on, but now it’s in a far away land full of Elves and Fairies. And now that the father is back the mom is happy and treating Jenny nicely. Now the golden tree is just a nice legend.

The end.

© 2013 Violet Batt


Author's Note

Violet Batt
Enjoy this lovely peice of literature while it's new.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
Added on June 18, 2013
Last Updated on June 18, 2013
Tags: Flying, Vampires, Elves, Fairies, Fantasy, Trees, Short story, Fiction