Chapter Three: Lies

Chapter Three: Lies

A Chapter by Ivy Navillus

I don’t believe I have a problem.

I think this is simply an extraordinary situation, never to happen before. I understand how it could be misinterpreted, but this all has an explanation. I’m not insane.
But then again, any crazy man probably thinks he’s the only sane one in a wrecked world.

I wonder if the people in that waiting room knew they had a problem?


If it wasn’t for my damned teacher I wouldn’t even be attending this accursed therapy. Trust is a tricky thing, and I am now somewhat known for my tight-lipped behavior. But I was once such a trusting child and I suppose that is what happens when one begins to get a little too chatty with one’s math teacher. At first she laughed it off but once she saw me through new lenses, she noticed how I often would mutter under my breath, how I have a hard time concentrating and sometimes need to cover my ears in futile attempts to make her shut up for a moment.

Most of these things seem normal on their own, but once you hear a word like “Schizophrenia” attached to anything it will suddenly appear more like a sign,

an illness,

a disease,

a symptom.
Fortunately, she was kind enough to not start blabbing to my boss or even other teachers. She was a social and welcoming woman, but not a gossiper. One day she approached me after class: a short, thin woman with short, dark bob-cut hair and narrow, perceiving glasses. She said that she couldn't simply keep quiet about it for too long, especially if I wanted to work for respectable people one day. She gave me a deal; go into therapy until I am deemed ‘fit for society’ and she will not only pay for the first session- but never mention it to another living being as long as we live. Even if I ask her to write a letter of recommendation.

It certainly required some thought--but after a week of heavy contemplation, writing lists, doing research, talking to Lenore, long baths, walks--it was quite the process. But I eventually came to a conclusion;

The deal seemed sweet enough and it’s not as if I haven’t lied my way through therapy before. But the first time was much worse. Years ago, I was so young. It was useless and terrifying.

It took an entire year of pointless drugs, pseudo tears, and lying through my teeth, but then I was free.

Five years after, I graduated and moved out at 17. Desperate to escape my god-awful home and parents. I got a simple job, started going to college... now, two years later, I’m upgraded to a dull desk-job and I’m working towards becoming a lawyer.
Even with this “illness” I’m better off than most any other nineteen year old boy.
So what if my home situation wasn’t good? So what If I never really had that much of a childhood? So what if I’m deemed “insane” by some person locked away in a grey office? I’m like a savant. Brilliant, misunderstood, but I sure as hell can take care of myself and I don’t need anyone telling me what to do with the things inside my own damn mind and body.
And I just need to prove that to this “Camilla” woman.


© 2012 Ivy Navillus


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This chapter is a bit short, but gives me a better look into Lionel and how he sees the whole situation. Keep up the great work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ivy Navillus

11 Years Ago

Yeah my only rule for chapters are "write until there isn't anything left to say." So some are awful.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 25, 2012
Last Updated on July 25, 2012
Tags: lionel soldner, therapy, schizophrenia


Author

Ivy Navillus
Ivy Navillus

Portland, OR



About
Just a Portlandian pup. Seeker and creator of both literary and visual art. I mostly write and draw about characters with varying mutations and mental illnesses or disorders. I try to keep them re.. more..

Writing