Chapter I

Chapter I

A Chapter by Julisa Trinidad

Delicate gloved fingers rasped rhythmically on a golden armrest as Queen Cecilia sat upon her throne in a relaxed yet sluggish manner. Her olive face and rounded violet eyes struggled to remain focused on the task at hand. However, her boredom and disinterest made it increasingly difficult the more time passed. Instead, her gaze drifted elsewhere, and she stared into the emptiness of space while counting the imaginary farm animals to pass the time. Her face settled comfortably in the palm of her free hand, giving away her indifference to what she was enduring. Bow shaped lips, stained with a natural pink shade, formed a prominent frown and shifted into a flat line from time to time.

Being the monarch of a Kingdom never ceased to be interesting. However, it also never ceased to be boring either. Even after being in a position of power for seven long years, Cecilia never got used to the monotony that came along with it. Assessing the state of the Kingdom, passing laws, and gauging the current standing of the wealth of the Kingdom were just a few of the tasks the Queen had to take care of during her reign. If she could write a list of every job she needed to do, she would require, at minimum, a dozen scrolls to state each one. It was tedious work, she admitted, but she would scour through every one of them if it meant keeping the glorious Hylantian Kingdom above all others in the vast land of Cardinalis. One way to keep her duties and affairs in order was to meet with her Royal Council once a month to discuss the most pressing matters in need of address. Although she took pride in building up her Kingdom over her short reign, even Cecilia found it challenging to keep up with the times. Thankfully, since the beginning of the Kingdom's creation, a Royal Council was formed to aid in the Queen's duties and decide where to go from that month onward. Fortunately, and in some cases, unfortunately, the meetings started to become briefer as the years went on. It was fortunate because of how well the Kingdom was thriving, but unfortunate because Cecilia was wasting her time in a meeting that would barely last an hour. She thought it unnecessary to meet every month to hear the same story over and over again: how the Kingdom's wealth expanded, how the army became much more robust, among others. However, she reminded herself that, regardless of how well she and her Kingdom did, there would come a time when the path would become rugged and uneven.

Some time passed before Cecilia's gaze shifted to her side, keeping a mirthless stare. She, soon, looked upon the man standing beside her, admiring how his posture was far more regal than her own. He was a man barely reaching his mid-to-late thirties with eyes akin to freshly polished emeralds. His brown locks were slicked back and smooth, and his beard looked clean and well-trimmed. He stood tall and folded his hands behind him, giving him an aura of confidence and authority. He was an attractive man, Cecilia admitted, even if he often overdressed in royal garbs showcasing his status. He doused himself in fabrics of purples and gold - colors symbolic of the Hylantian Kingdom - though she noted his lithe figure was still visible underneath the layers. She recognized the man as Kane, her Royal Advisor, and she praised how well-maintained he was every time she looked at him. The sight of him made Cecilia shift in her seat, doing away with her sluggish posture to a more upright position. Maybe she did see why her father chose him as the Royal Advisor.

"You don't seem enthused about today's meeting, Lady Cecilia."

Cecilia blinked, realizing that Kane's attention was now on her. His head did not move, but she saw his eyes focused on her rather than the Council. One thickened eyebrow was raised as well, and a sly smile graced his lips. He caught her in the act of slacking...again.

Cecilia frowned, however, and glowered at him. She loathed being referred to as "Lady Cecilia" or "My Lady." It rubbed her in a way that made her uncomfortable, and she did not know why.

"Unfortunately not," she answered, biting her tongue. "I'm afraid I do not share your enthusiasm today. As much as I would like to."

Kane's smile changed to a smirk before he looked back at the Council.

 "Today's meeting is rather important, though," he said. "As the Queen of this great Kingdom, failing to hear out your Council may result in this Kingdom slipping from its throne as the greatest superpower in Cardinalis." He looked back at Cecilia. "You wouldn't want that to happen, would you? It may draw you in a poor light, being as young as you are."

In an instant, Cecilia sat up in her seat, resting both hands on armrests and released a frustrated huff. Despite the apparent pout on her bow-shaped lips, her eyes exuded a mixture of annoyance and a hint of determination. She knew what he meant, and being reminded of that fact gave her a renewing sense of vigor to stay on the path. Being the Queen of an entire Kingdom was one thing, but being one of the youngest monarchs in the Kingdom was an entirely different scenario that Cecilia was forced to endure.

The concept of a child becoming a ruling figure of a Kingdom was a preposterous, albeit common practice in the land of Cardinalis. In most monarchies, only one individual - the monarch - was the sole ruling leader of their Kingdom. They created the laws of the land, and only those who were born and raised in the current reigning family were considered to be next in line for the throne. Cardinalis, in some aspects, remained rooted in these customs; a monarch ruled over a Kingdom, and they held much of the power and gave peace and order to their respective homes. However, many traditions were altered to better suit the sudden changes with each generation. Such changes eventually allowed children and young adults to rule a Kingdom regardless of their age. While she was not considered the youngest monarch out of all who sat upon the throne, Cecilia was not the first person to obtain the throne at a young age. She was also not the first person to cause a stir within the Kingdom as a result of this decision. According to the laws governing the land, two paths were created for monarchs to take when passing the crown. One way involved the current ruler creating a will that named anyone of their choosing, be it their own family or someone they trust, as the next King or Queen. While many wanted to follow the monarch's bloodline, the monarch held power to choose anyone in their family or if the crown would go to someone they trusted. However, a second path allowed the people of each Kingdom to decide who was fit to rule instead. Instances like this were rare, but it was done in case the monarch was incapable of naming the next ruler, such as the King or Queen dying or becoming a prisoner of war. It allowed the people of each Kingdom to have the power to decide who was fit to rule. In a way, the Kingdom belonged to the people as much as it belonged to the monarch.

The second path, to the people's surprise, happened to be the case seven long years ago within the Hylantian Kingdom, a decision that continued to haunt the current Queen to this day.

Shaking the memories from her mind, Cecilia gazed upon the members of her Council, a group of men and women varying in shapes, sizes, and races, standing in a line before her. While most were human, the most common race of people found in the Hylantian Kingdom, a few Elves - both High Elves and Dark Elves - found their way into the court as well. Some were High Elves once hailing from the neighboring Aecordian Kingdom to the east. In contrast, others were Dark Elves traveling far from the Zelidian Kingdom in the west. She remembered it was likely because the Hylantian Kingdom once allied with some of the neighboring Kingdoms, no doubt a result of her parents. Unfortunately, many of the ties were severed over the last seven years, and Cecilia considered tossing out those who were not born within the walls of her Kingdom. However, while some chose to return to their homes, others proved their worth and devotion to the Hylantian Kingdom, and Cecilia could not muster the strength to send them away. She wanted only the best minds to aid in running her country, and those who proved themselves soon became valuable to her. So much so that the humans who remained in her Council paled in comparison to the Elves' intelligence. 

Cecilia hated to admit it, but it was clear who was the more intelligent race in Cardinalis.

"We must face the fact that our army has begun to shrink within the last three months," one man, a human she recognized as Luca, spoke. He appeared to have beady bright blue eyes, and he was bald. Cecilia recalled how he used to have curly, charcoal-colored locks, but eventually, he removed it all in favor of having nothing. She did not remember if it was a stylistic choice or not, though she did not ponder the thought for too long. He was short in stature, though he still had a few inches on her, and his broad-shouldered build gave a sense of strength. His skin was a rich brown, and his attire consisted of the violet color scheme. It was classy and tight for a simple councilman. "We have fought many battles against our enemies and came out victorious, but as of late, we have suffered a great loss. Particularly at the hands of the Neitan Kingdom and their King."

Cecilia sneered at the mere mentioning of them. How could she forget how the Neitan Army nearly decimated her warriors in recent years and especially the last few months? Granted, the most recent conflicts were over several trading posts bordering on their lands. Still, it did nothing to change the outcome. Fortunately, at least in Cecilia's eyes, the Hylantian Army bested the Neitan Army once again. The casualties, however, continued to grow in numbers, and it started to become a considerable concern with the Council in recent months.

"I fear the massive loss of life might bring further concerns to the people," the man continued. "They will worry their families and friends are being sent off to die, and they will wonder what it's all worth."

"They should not worry," Cecilia interjected. "We are more than capable of besting the Orc King and his wretched army. We will remain that way as long as I am Queen." Cecilia looked over her Council, noting the different looks of concern and worry. She then sighed. "However, if it will put their worries to rest, then we shall prepare another draft to fill the gaps and provide more protection to the Kingdom. In case someone like the Neitan Army decides to launch an assault when we are not looking."

The men and women gazed at her with varying expressions. Many appeared astonished by the coolness of the Queen's words, while others remained stone-faced. The Queen's words were law; who were they to question it? Or maybe they agreed with her decision and chose against challenging it. The Kingdom needed to remain on top, and they needed as many people as possible who were willing and able to fight for their home.

"But my Lady," another man - a human named Evander - spoke. His demeanor was that of a flighty gazelle, she noticed. His boyish-looking build gave away a cowardly disposition to Cecilia, and his round bright blue eyes accentuated it further. They stood out on his cream-colored face along with his thick, business styled alabaster hair. His wardrobe was elegant, like other councilmen and women with a similar violet color scheme with some hints of gold splashed here and there. "With all due respect, but have you forgotten how many we've already lost recently?"

The Queen glowered at him, watching him quiver and shrink in his spot

"Would you rather we leave ourselves open to our enemies?" She asked. "We risk losing more lives if we do not continue to fortify our defenses." She raised her hand to the side of her face, lifting a finger. "One slip up could mean the end for us, and we must be prepared for anything that comes our way."

"We understand, my Lady," one of the High Elves, named Hatharal, spoke, his slanted green eyes and faint grin making him akin to a sly fox despite his small nose and weak chin. His beautiful, straight brown hair was worn in a rather abstract yet attractive style. Even from where she sat, Cecilia knew he was tall and slender, with his skin eerily reminiscent to porcelain. His wardrobe was utilitarian and dignified, and just like the others, it was a mixture of violet and gold fabrics. "However, we must also consider that these men and women hardly see their homes these days. Many may never return to see their families if we continue to force them into battle."

Cecilia sneered and rolled her eyes; she wondered if he actually cared about the warriors with a grin like that.

"Their families will be killed if they did not sacrifice themselves to protect this Kingdom."

"They are sacrificing themselves for a good cause," Hatharal said, his voice smooth yet void of emotion while always wearing his faint grin. "You speak as though their deaths were in vain."

"Because they are!" Said Evander. "They are sacrificing themselves by force. We should consider those who do not wish to fight any further, unnecessary battles."

In an instant, Cecilia shot up from her seat, her eyes burning intensely.

"Every battle we fought has never been an unnecessary one!" She shouted, making him jump and step back into his spot in line. "I am disgusted you would make such an assumption about my army!" The man opened his mouth to speak, but she interjected, "My army was created as a message to all those who would try to oppose us. We have expanded throughout the land of Cardinalis and spread our influence to prove to everyone that the Hylantian Kingdom is not a force to be reckoned with!" She huffed and flicked some of her hair out of her face. "I may be younger than every other King or Queen in the other Kingdoms, but I will not stand to be challenged or demeaned solely because of it." She then stared at Evander again. "Have I made myself clear?"

The cowardly man opened his mouth again, but after watching Cecilia's gaze harden, he shut his mouth and looked away. She could see that he understood why she had gone to such extremes to remain on top.

As the youngest out of the seven Kingdoms, she feared the others would look down upon her, judge her decisions, and make a mockery of her. It was not the first time in history that a child ruler had almost brought the Kingdom to ruin, thus resulting in the people being torn regarding the situation. Some who lived through those times told stories of how the child monarch grew to become a loving, nurturing ruler who cared for the people and wanted nothing more than to see the Kingdom thrive. They did not mind the notion of a child being King or Queen because they saw the good that came from it. However, some remained skeptical, relaying stories of how some caused suffering and pain as a result of the child's naivety and inexperience in the position. They were unqualified, unfit to take on the moniker of the monarch, thus creating more issues that needed to be resolved. It was difficult to gauge which way the scales would lean toward. Still, Cecilia made it her mission to tip the scales in favor of glory and prosperity no matter the cost.

She had to, for the sake of herself and her people.

"Yes, my Lady," said Evander, looking away from her. "Forgive me, my Lady."

Satisfied with putting him in his place, Cecilia returned to her seat as well.

"Now that that's settled," she continued, "if we are going through with a draft, we will need the manpower to consider spreading our influence in the land even further. We must continue to show others that we are still on top."

She watched Evander avoid her gaze and remained silent. He wanted to say something, but she presumed the scolding he received moments ago made him hesitant to speak again. However, Hatharal looked at her, keeping his grin prominent the entire time.

"You have already amassed large territories over the years, my Lady," he said. His tone remained even and unfazed by her outburst. "Why continue expanding when you have enough?"

"The real question is, 'Why have we not expanded more than we already have,'" Cecilia retorted.

"We are not trying to seize control of the other Kingdoms," he went on. Then, he raised an intrigued brow. "Unless that is your intention?"

Cecilia shifted her gaze to the stained glass windows, which showcased the most prominent figures that once ruled the Hylantian Kingdom. Images of former Kings and Queens brought life and feelings of glory and majesty to the room, casting splashes of color thanks to the rays of the sunlight bursting through. She almost reminisced about, recalling the stories she read over the years while studying the Kingdom's life. Instead, she returned her attention to the High Elf.

"It has crossed my mind," she replied. "However, I have no interest in claiming another Kingdom. Not at this time."

Hatharal raised a curious brow.

"Is that so?" He remarked. "I am certain the Neitan Kingdom would be a lovely addition to your collection. Wouldn't you agree?"

Cecilia scoffed at the idea, and her blood began to boil. It was no secret the Neitan Kingdom was a place few considered visiting unless they had a death wish. Not only was it controlled by the dominant species of the province - the Orcs - but it was filled with the lowest forms of life the land had seen. It was a miracle they did not disband for their crimes by now. However, Cecilia recalled stories about how other Kingdoms failed to take down the Orcs on several occasions. The Neitan Kingdom was regarded as an impenetrable wall of war-hungry warriors, capable of striking down armies without breaking a sweat. Few men and women would be fortunate to escape the battles that ensued. However, rather than bragging about standing up to such fearsome creatures, they recalled watching their friends and allies be torn limb from limb by the gruesome Orcs. They recounted the memories of listening to their guttural shrieks of agony as the Orcs laughed and mocked them for being so weak and inferior to their kind.

Cecilia recalled hearing stories from her warriors as well, having stood against the Neitan Army more than once during her rule. The difference, however, was that she came prepared to fight them. Cecilia studied the history of the Neitan Kingdom and learned as much as she could about them. She even took her time studying previous battles and learned their most common fighting strategies. Being more animalistic than other races, she made a note that they had a preference for assaulting travelers and small armies in the cover of darkness. They raided encampments as their enemies slept and slaughtering them like pigs. She noted how few Orcs in history specialized in magic, and those that were capable of it refused to utilize their powers in favor of using their brute strength. Although she considered it strange, she also saw this as an advantage. Rather than forming an army of only warriors like others did, Cecilia decided to utilize the power of Mages, who specialized in exceptional magical abilities. She gathered as many Mages as she could to stand up to the Orcs while providing protection to the warriors fighting alongside them. As a result, the Hylantian Army fought back, pushing the Neitan Army to the point where their attacks began to dwindle. This allowed Cecilia's army to grow stronger over time, so they had a chance to stand against them.

To some, it would be possible for Cecilia to enter a full-scale war with the Neitan King and overthrow him. Although she was human and paled in strength and scale in comparison to the Neitan King, she had the power not only in numbers but also in strategy. However, that did not mean Cecilia was incapable of fighting against the likes of him, either. She was fortunate to have spent many years learning the ways of a sword, and she convinced herself that she was more than capable of taking him down. Granted, she never went toe to toe with an actual Orc before. Still, her confidence in reigning victorious against his army made her believe otherwise.

However, as much as the thought of overthrowing that wretched King pleased her, Cecilia had other, more pressing matters to consider.

"In the state that it's in right now?" Cecilia questioned. "Please."

"But think of all the improvements that could be made to such a despicable place," said Hatharal. "Think of the lives you could be liberating if you take over."

"Think of the diseases we could bring back," Cecilia stated matter-of-factly. "Have you forgotten the reason why we have a wall? To keep this court and especially myself free from illness. It may split our Kingdom in two, but who knows what kind of illnesses would break through our defenses? Especially if we came back from the Neitan Kingdom?" She sighed. "In any case, now is certainly not the time to think of taking down neighboring Kingdoms. Not when we have the Festival to worry about. We are all required to be...civil."

Kane, who intently listened to the conversation, smiled.

"Ah, yes," he muttered. "The Festival of the Dead." He looked at Cecilia, who shared a glance with him. "If I recall, you have been looking forward to this event for quite some time."

Cecilia inhaled, pulling her lips into a straight line before her gaze hardened.

From what she gathered, the Festival of the Dead was regarded as one of the most significant events to take place in Cardinalis. Every octennial year, the Festival brought the seven monarchs together to celebrate not only those who had passed on but also the Divine Deity, Sibylle. The Divine Deity was regarded as the most sacred being in the land, and they governed over all who worshipped them. The event rotated between the Kingdoms every eight years, during the Year of the Cardinal, and the monarchs traveled to said Kingdom to celebrate the festivities. Even the Neitan Kingdom, despite how grueling they were to others, respected the occasion and allowed the other monarchs to enter their walls without shedding any blood.

During the festivities, many would spend the night dancing, singing, and enjoying the company of those who were still alive and well. Others, however, spent the night praying or relaxing nearby, reminiscing on the past and wishing those who were no longer around to pay them a visit. This added another aspect to the event that made it so valuable and respected. According to legend, it is believed the powers of a particular Mage were at their highest during the Festival. This Mage was regarded as the Oracle, and they were considered to be the second most powerful and most revered individuals in the land. During the Festival, the Oracle will feel a more stable connection to Sibylle and the departed, and they may converse with the spirits for a short time.

The Festival, at least to Cecilia, was the most significant event to her. Because the Oracle of her Kingdom would have that connection to the dead, he would become the single most important person to her. No one else would matter in that instance, only him. Through him, she would obtain the answers she needed most.

"My Lady, you appear to be troubled."

The Queen blinked, returning her attention to the Council and realizing they were all staring at her. Many appeared concerned, while others continued with their stone-faced personas. Regardless, she shifted in her seat.

"Yes, Kane," she said, ignoring the previous comment. "This event is important to me. To all of us."

Kane heaved a heavy sigh.

"This Festival will give us the chance to learn the truth of what happened," he said, keeping his attention to the Council, who soon began exchanging looks between one another. 

Cecilia's expression turned stone-cold by this point.

"Yes," she mumbled. "We will learn what happened to my Father and Mother that day, seven years ago. The day they…" Her voice drifted, and she found herself looking away. Rather than focusing on it too much, however, she released a huff and turned to the Council. "Have we learned anything further regarding their death? Any leads to point us in the right direction?"

After a moment of silence, a woman - a Dark Elf named Faelyn - stepped forward. She gave off a sense of arrogance upon first glance, her predatory blue eyes boring into those who gazed upon her. However, Cecilia understood it was merely how she presented herself. She kept her curly blonde locks in an elegant style, and her posture was similar to Kane's. She was tall, towering over Cecilia by at least eight inches, and had a curvaceous, yet elegant build. Cecilia admired Faelyn's deeply tanned skin, noting how there was not a single blemish on it, and her attire was classy yet noble.

"Unfortunately, my Lady," Faelyn spoke, "we have found nothing that would aid us in the investigation of the late King and Queen. No matter how much we look into it, we cannot find the answers that we seek." Her gaze lowered. "It is...truly a shame that the bodies were never found at the scene. We likely would have something to push us in the right direction."

Cecilia frowned, sulking her shoulders. She was not surprised; she hated hearing the same statement time and again. Especially after seven long years of hearing the same old story. She was growing restless now.

"I am aware," she said, her face still void of emotion.

Evander soon stepped forward, finding his voice on the matter.

"As much as you loathe the idea, my Lady," he said, "but I would suggest the aid of the Aecordian Queen in this matter. The late King and Queen were traveling to her Kingdom, after all."

In an instant, the Queen snapped her head in his direction, eying him wildly with unmitigated anger. The man saw this, shivered, and sat back down.

"I should have you thrown in prison for making such a despicable suggestion, you spineless filth," she hissed. "I would never ask for their help. You would see me dead before you saw me ask for their assistance."

"But my Lady, with all due respect, be reasonable. The man has a point," Hatharal said. "We have yet to prove if they were responsible for their disappearance. Pointing blame at them divides us, and we shouldn't allow that."

"They must be responsible!" Cecilia snapped, gripping her armrests tightly. "Father and Mother were on their way to their Kingdom. No one knew where they had gone but them!"

"That means little in this case," he said, unfazed by the Queen's outburst. "From my understanding, they never made it to the Kingdom based on the location of their carriage. It seems highly unlikely they would have known about it until word got out."

"And it seems highly unlikely that they would have known before the news came out," she sneered. "How do we know they did not plan in advance to…" She hesitated, gesturing toward them, "...do...what they did to them?"

"What reason would they have, my Lady?" Hatharal questioned. "The Aecordian Queen has been our most trusted ally since the very beginning. They have been nothing but a beacon of support, even in our darkest hour. It seems rather strange that they would suddenly...change."

Cecilia huffed.

"I have to remind myself," she said, "that you once lived in the Aecordian Kingdom years before joining my court."

Hatharal shrugged, smiling coyly.

"I suppose my loyalties are still torn between here and there, my Lady. Forgive me."

Cecilia, although frustrated by this, shrugged.

"It can't be helped, I suppose." She shifted in her seat, relaxing ever so slightly. "In any case, I refuse to ask for the Aecordian's assistance until it is proven without a shadow of a doubt they had no involvement. No one can be trusted until we know the whole truth." She paused a moment before burying her face into one hand. "And for us to know that, we need to make sure the Oracle may contact my Father and Mother so they may tell us."

Kane looked at her.

"It surprises me how willing you are to keep the tradition of bringing the other monarchs here," he said, "despite your lack of trust in any of them. And after fighting to claim many of their territories."

Cecilia's hand lowered to reveal her face, but she kept her mouth and nose covered. Her gaze was annoyed by the truth of Kane's words.

"The least I could do is keep some semblance of peace during this time," she said after moving her hand from her face. "After all, it's possible I may be able to keep a closer eye on them and see who is the most suspicious." She looked at Kane. "I may be more concerned with the Aecordian Queen being a prime suspect, but no one is off the table until the Festival arrives." She then looked back at the Council. "With that in mind, we shall reconvene to discuss the Festival in one week. We still have until the end of the month before our guests arrive to begin the festivities. However, we still need some time for decorations, food, and other necessities to accommodate our guests."

"We also mustn't forget," Kane chimed in, "that we are still in need of another seamstress to design our clothing for the evening."

The Council began murmuring amongst each other, varying in different reactions over Kane's statement. Rather than figuring it out, Cecilia stood up.

"We will not be discussing what happened to the previous seamstress. After her recent disregard for the rules I put in place, she has been...dealt with accordingly." Evander looked up. His eyes became round, and his face began to pale. Cecilia noticed this and rolled her eyes. "Not like that, you fool! I'm a Queen, not a monster." Embarrassed, Evander avoided eye contact with the Queen, attempting to hide his red face to no avail. "With that out of the way, the Council is dismissed for the day. Return to your chambers, and we will reconvene in one week to continue the discussion of the Festival."

With her words spoken, the Councilmen and women bowed their heads, paying their respects to their monarch, before turning and making their departure. As this occurred, Cecilia turned to Kane and gestured over his shoulder, pointing in the direction of the nearby doorway. Kane, knowing precisely what she meant, bowed his head before making his approach to the door.

As he departed, Cecilia looked out, observing the throne room quietly as she returned to her seat. At first, she watched the members of the Council depart. Some walked down the massive carpet path leading to the main entrance of the throne, while others left through a few doors located on either side. She, then, admired the stone pillars lining against the walls, shooting up to the ceiling of the room. Before she looked any further, however, she took another glance over the stained glass windows lining either side of the throne room. She gazed over them, admiring the colors and recalling the stories they told after so much time had passed. One image depicted an elegant King who, according to history, aided in the crops that have remained standing to this day. Rolling fields of various forms of food could be viewed on the western side of the castle, and only the most skilled farmers were allowed to set foot in the fields. Or so said the strict rulings that Cecilia recently put into place. Another image showcased a valiant Queen who, with the aid of thousands of people and Mages, constructed the first wall surrounding the castle and city. The wall in question, however, differed from the wall that currently split the city in two. The wall around them was not only more massive than the one within the city, but it also had massive watchtowers located in the cardinal directions. Toward the southern entrance, referred to as the Main Entrance, stood an enormous gate, where a pair of guards stood watch for visitors that came to and from the city. It was believed that the wall was the strongest in the land, and no one has yet to take it down after centuries. A rumor went that the Queen at the time was a powerful Mage, and she used her powers to fortify her defenses and created the most durable material known to man. No one knew for sure if these rumors were true. Then again, most never questioned it after realizing how long the wall stood against potential invaders. Even Cecilia raved about the wall's strength from time to time, claiming that no one was capable of tearing it down, no matter how hard they tried.

Shortly before she gazed on the others, Cecilia recalled one more window, one regarded as the depiction of the first monarch of the Kingdom. With that in mind, she turned around, looking upon the much larger image of a woman. She was clad in varying shades of purple and gold, and her skin was a light in complexion. Her hair was depicted as long enough to reach her ankles and shaded in a vibrant auburn. Her eyes were the most vibrant shade of purple Cecilia ever saw, and it bore into those who stared at her. The woman's hands resided toward her center, holding what appeared to be a smaller sun, a symbol that was often used to represent the woman since the very beginning of time. Surrounding the woman was various shades of blues, with the lighter shades located at the top before slowly growing darker toward the bottom. Cecilia, from what she was told since she was young, recognized the woman as the image of whom many referred to as Hylantia, the founder and first monarch of the Hylantian Kingdom.

Before she could ponder on the woman for too long, Cecilia turned to spot Kane making his way back. Beside him was another man, a brooding older gentleman of around thirty years though older than Kane. Similarly, however, Seth walked tall with his arms at either side of him, and his chest puffed out in confidence. His eyes were crimson like blood, though the left appeared to be a dull pink shade. Nevertheless, they looked as if they could bore into the soul of anyone who looked in his direction. His face was rugged and riddled with scars, no doubt having seen many battles to count. One, in particular, included the scar on his left eye, one that ultimately blinded up permanently. His hair was as dark as Cecilia's, though there were some notable shades of grey growing from his scalp. It was long, stopping just past his shoulder blades, and braided tightly. Unlike Kane, his attire differed tremendously, sporting royal armor rather than regal noble attire. A sword was firmly attached to his belt, though judging from how clean the sheath was, it was either well taken care of or it had not been used as often as one would think. A hand sat casually against the hilt of the blade, a common sight to find him no matter the circumstances.

Seeing him brought a faint smile to her face, an odd response whenever she saw the man, whom she knew as Seth, a Dark Mage. Typically, she would beam at the sight of him, knowing she was safe in the presence of her Royal Bodyguard. Since day one, Seth remained at Cecilia's side, watching over her and keeping a close eye on her. Even when she was on her own, Cecilia knew he was somewhere nearby, hiding in plain sight while maintaining a safe distance. It was a stable relationship, even with the negative rumors that often surrounded Dark Mages. Seth trusted his Queen to stand on her own two feet. Seeing how prosperous the Kingdom became since her rise, he had no reason to think she was as weak as many presumed. Cecilia, on the other hand, relied on him when she was in a situation she could not handle. While they were far and few in between, she knew she could count on him if things became tough. She valued Seth and his power, and she viewed him as if he had always been a part of the family. The rumors meant nothing to her; he had proven himself time and again of his loyalty for her to know he could be trusted.

This time, however, rather than responding in a jovial manner upon seeing him, she merely smiled faintly. She felt distracted after that meeting, pondering everything that occurred over and over. It did not help that both men caught on to this.

"My Lady," said Seth, stopping and bowing before Cecilia before standing tall once again, "you appear to be troubled. Did something happen with the Council?"

Cecilia, realizing how concerned Seth became, shook her head.

"No, no! Nothing happened," she assured him, waving her hand. "Everything was fine, as always." She looked away, staring at the places where the Council previously stood. "I guess I have a lot on my mind these days. What with the Festival arriving, I need to be prepared."

"It's nothing you can't handle, my Lady," Seth said. "A Festival is nothing compared to what you've already encountered."

Cecilia thought about his words before she smiled. It was a more genuine smile than before.

"You are right," she agreed. However, her smile faded again as she looked at Seth and Kane. "I apologize, but I think I need some time to myself to consider today's Council meeting."

Seth, without question, bowed his head, placing his free hand against his chest.

"As you wish, my Lady," he said calmly. "Shall I escort you to the Garden, then?"

Cecilia nodded before turning her attention to Kane. She noted the look of concern in his eyes, but rather than addressing it, she smiled.

"Kane, if you don't mind, would you mind looking for-"

"I will send for him at once, my Lady," he interrupted her. He always did have a way of reading her. "But, if I may ask, is there anything you wish to discuss with me? I am your Advisor, after all."

Cecilia's smile grew before she placed a gentle hand against his cheek.

"I appreciate the thought, Kane," she said. "Perhaps once I sort out my inner feelings, we may discuss things at a later date. After all," she retracted her hand, "you have done more than enough for me over the years. Don't take this as me lacking in faith for you. All right?"

Kane stared at her for another moment, his brows furrowed as he observed the Queen. Then, he sighed and placed a gentle hand upon her shoulder.

"Of course, my Lady. I would never."

With that, Cecilia excused herself, turning to Seth and gesturing him to follow. She glided passed her Advisor and made her way to the doorway where the men previously entered.

As she left the throne room, Cecilia hoped the feeling in the pit of her stomach was something that would eventually cease. Then again, she spent the last seven years telling herself the same thing day in and day out only for them to return after some time. She hated it; it made her feel weak and inferior as a monarch. This time, however, she had another feeling that her concerns would be put to rest so she may move forward.

At least, it was what Cecilia hoped would occur.



© 2020 Julisa Trinidad


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5 Views
Added on April 13, 2020
Last Updated on April 13, 2020
Tags: action, adventure, book of vanity, family, fiction, friendship, magic, medieval, medieval fantasy, mystery, novel, romance, suspense, tragedy, yearofthecardinal, yotc


Author

Julisa Trinidad
Julisa Trinidad

PA



About
Hello, everyone! My name is Julisa, also known as VisionaryDame on most social sites. Welcome to my profile, where you can find all of my projects and short stories. To give some information about .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Julisa Trinidad