Growing Up

Growing Up

A Story by Japanese Cherry
"

sitting here... after pulling an allnighter and talking to a friend... this suddenly dawned on me...

"

"Mommy, come and play with us!" a young girl waved happily to a woman walking towards her. She was small and thin... black hair flowed down to reach her lower back... big brown eyes sparkling happily. Beside the little girl was another, a little older. She looked almost like the smaller... but there were smaller differences, like how this girl looked a little heavier than the first, a little healthier one could say. It could definitely be said that the two were related, sisters. The younger sister held on to the older sister's hand, who gave the smaller hand a comforting sqeeze as she led the smaller towards a swingset. Before sitting on the swingset herself, the older helped the younger up first. Once the two were on, they called to their mother to push them. Their mother chuckled and stood behind the two, pushing them gently on the swing... Suddenly, the younger asked, "Mommy, when is daddy going to come back?"
She never caught the saddened look on her mother and older sister's face...

The girl looked at her older sister, "Anne?"

Anne forced a smile, "Uh... later Sally... later..."

 

Sally shot up from her bed, her alarm clock blaring her favorite JRock band The Gazette ~ Chizuru. Sally held her head, slightly dizzy from her abrupt awakening. She reached over to turn her phone alarm off, checking the time as well, "5:45 in the morning..." She stretched out and forced her tired body to get out of bed. Grabbing a towel, toothbrush, and bodywash, she made her way to the shower. Before entering the shower, she glanced in the mirror... Sally looked at her long, black hair that flowed just past her waist, knotting up in different places... her brown eyes almost looking black behind her glasses... the tired dark shade of blue below her eyes that only she seemed to notice... Turning on the cold water, Sally jumped into the shower and shivered as the cold water washed away her dream and fully woke her up. She prepared for the day ahead of her.

When Sally exited the bathroom, fully dressed and ready for the start of her day, she ran into a teen, younger than her, at the age of 13. He nodded his morning to her as he rushed into the bathroom, his shoulder length brown skater hair a mess, eyes still droopy from his awakening. As the door closed, Sally called behind her, "Good morning to you Jo!"

She made her way to her room and strapped on her bell on a red ribbon around her neck. Smiling from the calming jingle jingle she heard, Sally sprayed some perfume on, grabbed her bag, and went downstairs... Upon closing her door, she was greeted by another teen. She was the same age as Sally, 16, with shoulder length brown hair braided into a ponytail. She was fully dressed and waiting to go into the bathroom. Sally nodded her way, "Morning Anina..." Anina nodded back and Sally continued on.

Downstairs, Sally settled down in the kitchen, "Morning mom!' a kiss to a woman's head... "Good Morning dad!" A kiss to the cheek of a man cooking breakfast.

 

Sally pulled out her journal after greeting the two and began to write:

 

date: xx/xx/xxxx time: ii:ii

It has been another three hour sleep night... and I have school and work... oh well, can't go complaining now, can I?

Another morning, waking up in another's house... so glad I was accepted... forever in their debt... but love disintigrates that debt... all this for an education... I can't wait till I can finally go home to see mom Anne and Nick and Ney...

I'm so glad that I have a friend like Anina... scratch that, a sister... and another family to support me...
Until I write Again... My Kami-Sama...
-S

 

Sally closed her journal when she heard Anina run down the stairs, "Sally let's go! We're going to miss the bus!"

Sally frantically ran after Anina calling her goodbyes.

 

At school, Sally fought to keep her eyes open as she went by class after class... She was surprised at how her eyes stayed open and her mind active... I need to keep my grades up... need that scholarship...

Sally sighed as she entered her final class, Anina behind her. Sitting down at their desks, Sally greeted her other friends and then got ready to start her notes for PreCalculus. At the end of the class, Sally was wiped out, but she dare not show it. Getting up to prepare before the bell rang, Sally heard Anina ask, "Can you help me with the review?"

Sally looked over her shoulder, a slightly annoyed glint in her eyes as she stared at her shorter adopted sister, "Of course... I have to help you pass the test tomorrow anyway..."

Sally felt bad deep down... she shouldn't be so annoyed with the person who showed so much care and put up with her crap for the past four years... but she just couldn't help it...

On the bus ride home, Sally sat with her legs drawn up slightly on the confined space of the bus seat. She closed her eyes with her headphones in, listening to various Japanese artists... trying to lull herself to sleep... obviously knowing how foolish it was to even try... She opened her eyes and pulled the headphones out when her stop came. Sally exited the bus with Anina behind her, thanking the bus driver. The two waited for Jo's bus to arrive before making their way home.

Inside the house, Anina jumped into the shower. Sally called to her, "What time do you have to work?"

"4 to 11... and you?"

Sally smiled, "5 to 11..."

"Damn you for getting a later shift..."

"I only work an hour later than you..."

"Whatever..."

Sally found herself something to eat since she didn't eat lunch and then packed herself some dinner, knowing quite well that she wasn't going to have time to find food later on that night.

"Girls, I'm home!" Anina's mother called as she walked through the door. Sally and Anina greeted her and soon, the three left for work.

 

Sally secretly yawned... straightened up the clothes and ran to the cash register. Anina's mother came up beside her, "Are you ready for new line?"

Sally groaned in response, "So happy I'm getting paid..."

"You know... I think you worked more than some of the sales leads... this is going to be one good paycheck..."

Sally smiled and sighed quietly, "I need the money if I want to go home to buy the food..." When she finished ringing the customer up, she put on another fake smile and cheerfully laughed, "Have a wonderful night ma'am! Good luck with the rest of your shopping!!"

 

Sally dragged her feet inside of the house... Anina and her mother behind her. "Goodnight you guys..."

Sally sighed... after changing and removing her bell, Sally climbed into bed. She figured sleep would take her quickly... but there her brain goes, thinking of everything: College... her grades... having enough money to pay for college... hoping everything home was okay... not being able to go home... the upcoming test... why couldn't she sleep...?

 

Sally jolted awake... Evergreen ~ HYDE was blaring on her phone this time. Sally rubbed her eyes and took her phone, "The hell did I set a 7:30 alarm on my phone for the weekend for?!"

Turning off the alarm, Sally held her head, "Oh yeah... So I don't sleep till 3 in the afternoon..."

Sally made her way to the bathroom and freshened up... once out, Sally collapsed on her bed again, holding the huge teddy bear that Anina gave to her.

Her phone rang, Guren ~ The Gazette blaring loudly and Sally smiled, at the ringtone and the caller ID of the person calling-  her mother. Sally answered with a friendly, happy tone, "Moshi Moshi!!"

"Hi, baby! How are you?"

"I'm great!"

"How long did you work till?'

"Uhg... 11 o'clock... but don't worry, I'm perfectly fine! I got a couple hours of sleep and I feel totally refreshed!"

"Crazy... I can't wait for you to come home! Your niece is a real troblemake you know! And your brother-in-law is going to make your favorite food for when you come home... but... I think we have to rely on your paycheck to buy the ingrediants to whatever you want to eat... I just paid the rent and all I have left is for the car insurance... your sister doesn't have much money either after restocking the diaper supply and milk and other things Ney needs..."

"I know mom... don't worry I worked alot so I should have enough money... Aren't you happy I work now?!" She was happy her mother couldn't see her pained expression despite her happy tone... it had been a good four weeks since Sally got to go home... and she knew that it was because she worked that she never went home anymore...

"Yes, I am happy that you work so that you can support yourself instead of having to wait for anything you want... Well, I have to pray, so, I'll leave you be for now... have a good day love!"

"I love you mom, I'll call you later!"

 

"Sally, come on, let's go for a walk!" Anina called to Sally from the steps below.

Sally sighed but agreed. After she changed, Sally bolted out of the door and ran up the street, calling to Anina to catch up. She slowed down soon enough and she and Anina kept up a good pace. While walking, Sally caught sight of two children playing on a swingset... smiling and happy... she began to zone out...

 

"Sally... you know daddy isn't living with us anymore... he isn't coming back..."

"Where is he staying? Why isn't he coming back?!"

"You... you'll understand later... He Is Just Staying Somewhere Else Now..."

 

"Sally, keep your grades up! You're going strong, just like your sister!"

"Thanks mom... I'll make you proud..."

 

"Sally... dad called, want to talk to him?"

"Yeah... I guess... hand me the phone Anne..."

"Hello?"

"... hi dad..."

"Hey baby, how are you?"

"... fine... and you?"

"I'm good... what's up?"

"Nothing much... I made honor roll..."

"Good job!"

"... Thanks..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Alright, daddy has to go..."

"... 'Kay... love you..."

"Love you too..."

 

"Sally, Nick is going to drive me and Ney to dad's house... we're planning to stay for a little while... do you want to come?"

"... I don't wanna go... I'll stay home with mom... just... tell him I said hi..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sally, why didn't you go?"

"... I just... don't like going to his house... I feel uncomfortable... awkward... I'll see him later..."

 

"Sally... we have to move back..."

"Mom, I'm in the middle of 8th grade! I can't leave now!"

~~~~~~

"Anina, I don't want to go!!"

"... Well... hey, how about you live here?!"

"Anina... I don't want to become a burden..."

"You won't..."

~~

"You know... you won't come home often..."

"Yeah... I know..."

"Don't cry Sally... if you really want this then call often and come for the weekends..."

"Yes... I have to think about my education..."

 

"Mom, I think I'm going to get a job... mom can help me get one..."

"... You know that if you get a job... you won't come home at all..."

"We need the money... right? I know we're tight... so, shouldn't I make some so that I can help pay the bills and pay for my own things... and then I can start saving for college... and my grades can get me scholarships..."

"... okay... but you don't need to help with the bills... make money for yourself..."

~~~~~

 

"... Sally...?'

Sally flinched when Anina shook her slightly, "Uh..."

"Why'd you stop?"

Sally didn't even realize that she had stopped walking... but she noticed that she was still staring at the two children who were playing on the swingset... a thought dawned on her, "You know... I wish I was still a kid... when I didn't have a worry in the world at all... and I could just play like that and not have to worry about anything..."

"... well, I know what you mean, but reality came and punched us right in the face... no going back..."

"... Yeah... but it can't hurt to wish, right?" Sally tore her eyes away from the happy children when Anina pulled her forward, "They're lucky..."

 

 

"Mommy, come and play with us!"

"Mommy, when is daddy going to come back?"

"Anne?"

"Uh... later Sally... later..."

© 2013 Japanese Cherry


Author's Note

Japanese Cherry
Hey, let me know what you think of this... I don't know how it is... I just had this stuck in my head after pulling a long allnighter...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Story of our lives!! :) hehe!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Japanese Cherry

11 Years Ago

sort of our lives is correct haha

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

325 Views
1 Review
Added on December 30, 2012
Last Updated on March 28, 2013

Author

Japanese Cherry
Japanese Cherry

Mallepa, With Sho and Kei, Japan



About
MEOW HOO!!! OHAYO!!!! ANNYEONG!!!! I'm just a shy (unless ur a close friend or family), but creative girl between the age of 15 and 21 that loves to read, write and draw... Nothing more... by the.. more..

Writing