TWELVE - Xanthus VIII

TWELVE - Xanthus VIII

A Chapter by Justin Xavier Smith
"

Xanthus meets with his council to discuss plans for the future of Xantom.

"

Xanthus sat at the head of the table, which had been pulled out to the center of the Throne Room.  Around the table sat every member of the King’s Guard, and Willoughby the Healer.  Silvan had just returned from the Outskirts and was ushered into the room to a seat at the table as Xanthus was sitting down.

As he crossed the room, he made sure to check the ground where Mordecai had been killed only a few hours ago.  There was no sign of any of his blood polluting the floor.  Apparently Vanderford managed to do his job without complaining for once.

“We have much to discuss,” he began.  “I’m sure this comes as a surprise to none of you, but things are getting worse.  The hunters haven’t returned with as much food on these past few expeditions, and Willoughby informs me that we’re going to be out of the rest of our supplies within a few weeks.  If that weren’t bad enough, today marks the first time we’ve exiled two people on the same day since before I was King.  Undoubtedly, the people aren’t happy.  They’re hungry, they’re angry, and I have a feeling they’ve lost faith in their leadership.  You are all here because you’re you can help me figure out how to fix this before it gets out of control.”  He paused to let that sink in.  “Maybe I haven’t been the best ruler we’ve ever had.  I acknowledge that.  But if we don’t work together and come up with a solution, every one of us is going to die.”

He looked around the table.  His guards were stone-faced.  Vanderford stared daggers into him, while the Head of the King’s Guard, Thaddeus, wouldn’t even look him in the eyes.  Do they doubt me?  Or have they lost all hope as well?

“If we accomplish this feat, men will tell stories of this day,” Willoughby said.  “I’ll write it into the record books, and everyone sitting at this table will be remembered as the ones who saved Xantom.”  He turned and looked directly at Thaddeus, who looked up to meet his eyes.  “We have a real chance here.”  Thaddeus nodded slowly, and suddenly the room felt charged.  The attitudes had changed.

Of course he listens to Willoughby.  Why listen to your King when you can listen to the Healer and Record Keeper?  To be fair, he had a better approach.  Go straight for their egos.  That’s the only way to motivate people.  Why didn’t I think of that?  Because it isn’t my job to think of these things, he reassured himself.

“Thank you, Willoughby,” Xanthus said at last.  He turned to Silvan.  “You were in the Outskirts after the second Exile today.  It’s time for a damage control report.  What’s it like out there?”

Silvan cleared his throat.  He struggled to find the right words.

“Spit it out,” Xanthus said.  We already know it’s bad, we just need to know how bad.

“It’s not good, Sir.  There was a rally happening.  They were talking about how bad things had gotten.  There was a call for new leadership.  That doesn’t necessarily mean anything.  I used to attend those rallies when I lived in the Outskirts, and nothing ever came of them.  It was just a way to get out frustration more than anything.”

“Seems like it was more than just a way to get out your frustrations,” Zultan mumbled from across the table.

Again with this pointless feud between the two of them.  “Zultan, don’t make me do something I’ll regret,” Xanthus said.  “You’re on the same side now.  I don’t care how you feel about the things he’s done, he’s here to stay.  He’s an important member of the King’s Guard and one of your equals.  Please, let him continue.”

Zultan mumbled something else that Xanthus couldn’t make out.  He slammed his fist on the table.  Everyone around him flinched.  Good.  I can’t have them losing their respect for me as well.  He gestured for Sivan to continue.

“I tried to get more information out of people, but most of them refused to talk to me.  It’s been different since I got promoted, Sir.”

“You do realize that part of the reason I promoted you in the first place is so that you could be my eyes and ears in the Outskirts?  You grew up there, you lived there, you understand those people in a way that I can’t.  If you can’t provide me with the information I need…” He let that hang there.

“I understand, Sir.  At this point, I’ve told you everything that I know.  They’re rallying against you and against the city, but I honestly don’t think they’ll do anything.  They’d have to be able to get into the city first.”

“And the guard at the gate?”

“He’s been told not to let anyone from the Outskirts into the city for any reason.  I think we’re safe, Sir.”

“You think?”

“I can’t know for sure.  No one can.  But I have confidence.  No one in the Outskirts is capable of doing anything against you or the city at this time.”

Across the table, Zultan snorted.

“What’s funny?” Xanthus asked.

“Nothing, Sir.”

“What part of this meeting is funny to you?  The part where the entire city is going to collapse when we run out of food, or the part where Silvan gave an honest report about public opinion?”

“Neither, Sir.”

“You do realize that the public opinion includes you?  I’d be willing to bet that if we held a third Exiling Ceremony today, the people in the city would tear you apart.  It’s not like the city could hate us any more than they do right now.”

Xanthus could see Zultan begin to tremble.  Is that fear or anger?  Probably some combination of both.  He should be afraid.  “That won’t be necessary, Sir,” Zultan said at last.

“Good.  I expect each of you to give one another the respect he deserves.”

“I assure you, Sir, I will give Silvan everything he deserves.”  He glared across the table at Silvan.  I can’t deal with this right now.  There are too many other issues that are far more pressing than a squabble between Guards.

Xanthus returned his attention to Silvan.  “I trust that you found the child’s father from this morning and returned him?”

“I did, Sir.  It took a bit longer than expected but I was able to track the man down and return his child, safe and sound.”

“Hopefully that helped sway some opinions in our favor.  I can’t be the worst King in the world if I’m rescuing children and returning them to their homes.  At least some of the people in the Outskirts have to still have some hope for us.  I may have exiled two of their people today, but I saved three of them.  Once word of that spreads…”

Willoughby coughed and interrupted.  “It can’t spread, Sir.  The two young ones, the people can’t know you took them in.  It’s fine if they spread the word about the baby you returned, but if they think you’re going to start taking children in…

Xanthus waved it off.  “I know.  You don’t have to walk me through it again.  But at least I returned a baby to them.  That has to count for something.”

“They were very pleased, Sir,” Silvan said.  Finally, some good news.  “They said they would spread the word about your kindness.”

“See?  We’re making progress already.  Thank you, Silvan.”

“Let’s get back to the topic at hand,” Willoughby said.  “We’re almost out of food and supplies.  The hunt leaves tomorrow, just after curfew ends.  They need to come back with at least twice what they brought back the last time.”

“Have they been told?”

“They have.  We had a meeting with their leader, Emeric, after he brought us the boy from the Outskirts.”

“Does anyone have any ideas as to where they could find the food?”

“All reports are that the Barelands are nearly depleted,” Willoughby said.  “There either aren’t as many Beasts as there used to be, or they’ve learned how to hide.”

“Then they aren’t looking hard enough,” Xanthus said.  “We tell them to walk farther, stay out longer.  I don’t care what it takes, they have to bring back more food.”

Thaddeus spoke up.  “You know you can help make sure that happens.”  The room went silent.

“How do you propose I do that?” Xanthus asked.

“You’re not going to like it,” he said with a smirk.  The pride behind his words was unmistakable.

This had better be a serious suggestion and not some sort of joke.  “Being the King isn’t about doing things that I like to do.  If I only wanted to hear things I like, I would have invited a very different group of people to this meeting.  If it’s going to gain me favor and save the city, I’ll do it.”

“Good.  Then you need to show the Hunters that you’re just as willing to do a lot of hard work as they are.  You need to show them that this isn’t only effecting them, you’re suffering just as much.  You’re running out of food too.  To prove it, you have to give up the extra food that you have.  Divide it evenly, or toss it in a pile, it doesn’t matter, as long as the food isn’t yours.”

Xanthus blinked twice.  “If I give away all my food, I’ll die.  Then the city will be without a King and we’ll be just as doomed.  How does that help anyone?”

“Once you’ve given everything up, they’ll accept you.  And then you announce that you’re going to lead the Hunt.”

Dead silence.  They’re all just waiting for me to react.

“It’s actually a brilliant plan,” Willoughby said.  “That way you could oversee the Hunt and make sure that everyone was putting in their best effort to find food.  And they would see you as one of them, instead of an imposing force trying to keep them down.  I think it would do wonders.  And if you want them to bring back more food, this is the perfect way to ensure that that happens.”

Xanthus looked around the table.  Nobody spoke, but their faces said everything he needed to know.  “You all think it’s a great idea.  You all think that I should lower myself to their level.”

“You have to admit they would see you differently.”

“I would lose their respect.  They would no longer see me as their King, they would see me as an equal.  If they see me as an equal, it won’t be long before they start disobeying orders or trying to take control.  I have to remain above them or the whole system falls apart.”

“You’ll still be their leader,” Thaddeus said.  “You’ll still be in charge of them, but you’ll be doing the work with them.  If they see that you’re not afraid to put in the effort, they’ll be on your side.”

“Are you saying that I don’t put in any effort now?  You think I just sit back and watch everyone else do the work, don’t you?  How long have you felt this way about me?”

“It’s not me that feels this way, it’s the citizens of Xantom.  I don’t care if you go through with my plan or not, but it’s an idea, and it’s one that I think will work.  You’re the one who called us here for suggestions.  This is mine.”

“Does anyone have any other suggestions?” Xanthus asked.

“I don’t know if it’s the best plan, but at least it’s a plan,” Vanderford said.  “As long as you’re able to retain control of the Hunters, I think it might help.”

“You can’t deny it would do wonders for the public’s opinion of you,” Willoughby said.

“If I do this, and we can’t find food, my family will die.  My daughter will starve.  And that will be on all of you.”

“Don’t give away everything,” Willoughby said.  “Save just enough to get your family through until we’ve run out of supplies.  After that it won’t matter anyway.  If the fires go out, we’ll all freeze to death.”

“Silvan?” Xanthus asked.  “What do you think of the plan?  You know those people better than anyone… what will they think of me if I do this?”

“I don’t think it’ll work,” Silvan said.  “I don’t think you should do it.  If you try to lead them, they’ll kill you in your sleep.  You should stay here, where it’s safe.”

“You spineless traitor!” Zultan shouted.  “It’s a good plan!  We all know it is!  You’re only saying it isn’t because you want to get closer to the King!”  He climbed up onto the table and began crawling and reaching for Silvan.  Castiel, who had been sitting next to him, grabbed him and pulled him back.

 “Zultan, calm yourself!” Xanthus yelled.  “If I have to tell you one more time to treat your fellow Guards with respect, I swear I will exile you.  I’ll exile you in front of the entire city, right after I cut off each of your fingers and make you sit in a dungeon throughout curfew.  Silvan is trying to express an honest opinion based on his years of experience in the Outskirts and I for one would like to hear what else he has to say.”  He didn’t remember standing, but he was on his feet.  His hands were shaking, his head felt hot.

“You would hold another Exiling Ceremony?” Vanderford asked.  His voice was low, barely above a whisper, but it filled with an unmistakable fury.  “I thought the entire reason you had me execute Mordecai is because we couldn’t afford to have another.”

“The reason I had you execute Mordecai is because his incompetence put us in a bigger mess than we needed to be.”

“You said�"”

I know what I said!” Xanthus shouted.  “And I am the King.  Your job is not to question me, but to protect and serve me.  You do as I command, is that understood?”

“Yes.”

“Good.  Now let’s get back to talking about the real issue.  The Hunt.”

 “I told you that you wouldn’t like the plan,” Thaddeus muttered.

“Because it’s a bad plan.”  Xanthus said plainly.  “Would you do it?  Would you give away your share of the food you receive after a hunt and go out with them to try to gather your food?  Would any of you do that?”  Nobody said anything or moved.  “I thought so.”

“It was just a suggestion, Sir,” Thaddeus said.

“Well, you’re only looking at a small piece of the issue.  I can handle being hated.  My wife hates me every single day.  Most of the city has hated me for years.  Being hated isn’t going to stop me from trying to save everyone’s lives, and being liked isn’t going to mean anything if we all die.”

“We can come back to this,” Willoughby said.

“That’s a good idea.  Everyone try to think of another option to motivate the hunters.  Until then, we need to have a discussion about our supplies.”

“If we manage to find more Bareland Beasts, the torch oil will take care of itself,” Willoughby said.  “But we have to be able to find more of them.”

“And as for firewood…” Xanthus began.

“I don’t know.”

Xanthus turned to Willoughby.  “What do you mean you don’t know?  Isn’t it your job to know?  We’re running low on firewood, where do we get more of that?”

“I don’t know where we get it.  We haven’t found any new firewood since before your father died.”

There was a long pause.  We’ve been living on the reserves for eighteen years.  Eighteen years.  “Why didn’t you ever tell me this?  Don’t you think it would have been important for the King to know that sort of thing?”

“I always figured we’d find some,” Willoughby said.  “And there were so many other things to keep track of, I didn’t notice that firewood was one of the items that wasn’t ever increasing in quantity.”

One of the items?”

“Like I said… things aren’t looking good.”

Xanthus buried his face in his hands.  He felt everyone watching him, waiting for some form of reaction, for some sort of punishment.  When he finally looked up, Willoughby leaned back slightly, as though the extra distance would protect him.  But Xanthus spoke in a near-whisper.

“As much as I’d love to blame you for all of this… it’s my fault.  It was my job to keep track of these things.  I shouldn’t have assumed you would come to me with every possible problem that might arise.  The only thing that matters now is… how do we fix it?  Where did the supplies come from before my father’s death?”

“We don’t know, Sir,” Willoughby said.

“How can you not know?  You served my father for years and you never once took an interest in where all of our supplies were coming from?”

“I was only supposed to keep track of them.  I never asked how anything got there, I just counted it after it arrived.”

“Who else might know?  Who else served my father before his death?”

“There were a few men, if I remember correctly, who�"”

Who?  And where are they?”

“Exiled, Sir.  Every one of them.”

“What?”

“Before he died, your father exiled or executed nearly every person who reported to him or protected him.  You remember that… you were there.”

“I guess I didn’t understand what was happening.  Why would he do that?”  The greater good.  The phrase popped into his head, although he still had no idea what it could mean.  Now it just seemed like his father had gone mad.

“Your father was a complex man,” Willoughby said, choosing each word carefully.  “I never claimed to fully understand him.”

“So we not only have to find a new source of food, but a new source of almost everything else we’ve ever needed.”

“Yes.  And we don’t even know where to look.”

“It has to be the Cliffs,” Xanthus thought aloud.  “I don’t know how my father or the Kings before him got their supplies; I was never told.  But it’s obvious that the supplies aren’t from the Barelands, which leaves only the cliffs as a possible source.”  It almost seems as though my father purposely left me without any knowledge or leadership experience.  He never taught me anything, and when I asked, all he said was that it wasn’t time for that yet, and that one day I would understand.

“You can’t leave it to the hunters to find the other types of supplies,” Willoughby said.  “They only know how to kill Bareland Beasts for food.  They probably wouldn’t recognize most of the things we need even if they saw them.  Someone has to go with them.”

I can’t believe I’m about to do this.

“I’ll go,” Xanthus found himself saying.  “I’ll lead the hunting expedition myself.  The mission will be to find a new source of food and all the rest of our supplies.  I’ll lead them to the cliffs and we won’t stop looking until we’ve found what we’re looking for.”

And in the end, I will either be a hero to everyone, or we will all perish and the memory of our society will be gone forever.  No one will ever remember that I failed.

“Thaddeus, it looks like you got your way.”

“It isn’t ‘my way,’ Sir, it was simply a possible suggestion.  I’m glad it’s working out.”

“As Head of the Guard, you will take command of the city while I’m gone.”

“I’ll make sure he doesn’t make things any worse,” Willoughby said.

“It is decided.  Silvan, head to the roof and give the signal.  I have an announcement to make.”

And they will remember my name.



© 2015 Justin Xavier Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

413 Views
Added on February 7, 2015
Last Updated on February 7, 2015
Tags: Council Meeting, Xantom, Xanthus, King's Guard, Hunger, Starvation, Hunting, Expedition, The Hunt, Barelands, Outskirts, Citizens, Unrest, Riots, Exiling Ceremony, Exile, Death, Plotting, Backstabbing

Xantom: Forgotten City


Author

Justin Xavier Smith
Justin Xavier Smith

Los Angeles, CA



About
My name is Justin Smith. I am a writer, actor, and filmmaker. I am fascinated by human behavior and the weird things that we find "shameful" or that we are unwilling to talk about. So I talk about the.. more..

Writing