Growing questions?

Growing questions?

A Story by Vonnie15
"

The start of a new part of life is inevitably marked by questions

"

Growing Questions?

 

The beginning of university has been marked with questions for me. First there was the very serious question as to how on earth we would ever fit all my things into our tiny blue car? 2 large suitcases, a tog bag, a laptop, a big vanity case, 3 teddy bears, an oversized handbag, a crate, a box, 4 fancy dresses, a snackwitcher and a guitar. Well, we proved that miracles still happen by fitting in every last item. However, the miracle did come with a few “small print” clauses. It all fit, but I barely managed to squeeze in next to the things on the back seat. We discussed the situation and decided that I had to go with, seeing as my things couldn’t start Uni without me. It was a trip marked with the question: Are we almost there? This was asked frequently and increasingly more irritably as I fought for foot space and arm space and head space.

After getting to Uni, I found my head spinning with the next load of questions: How will I survive the pressures of Uni life? Will I meet my husband here? Should I still support the Free State Cheetahs? These and many more questions jumped around chaotically in my head as we trudged from lecture hall to lecture hall, getting more and more confused with each new session attended.

Today it was time to meet my room mate. The questions which flew between my parents and me were as follows: What colour hair do you think she has? Will she be tall or short? What will she be studying? Our answers came down to Blond hair, short, studying physio. Boy, were we wrong! I met my new roomie to find her tall, with short brown spiky hair, studying marketing.

The next, and certainly most stressful, question for me was: How the hell do I put this fan together? I always thought that fans came as one, functioning item. Once again I thought wrong. I fought with the fan for ages, turning the instruction diagrams in all directions, fighting the urge to go on a search for someone to help me. I am, however, proud to announce that I eventually achieved success in putting my very first electronic device together! Who needs a man?

Growing up is marked with questions. It is also marked with many wrong answers the first time round.

© 2010 Vonnie15


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I worked at a uni financial aid office for six years. I love how you put so much of your experience into this wonderful write! To watch freshman wandering around lost or loaded down always got to me. Those questions! And only some will have the answers you seek. Excellent write!

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is one of the pieces where the reader smoothly progresses through the story... unaware of its length... very nice ! keep it up ;)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

485 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 28, 2010
Last Updated on March 5, 2010
Tags: university, questions, life

Author

Vonnie15
Vonnie15

South Africa



About
01:26... darkness surrounds me...the sound of my room mate's invasive snoring and the sound of my keyboard my only company. That's what I do. I love to write. I need to write. It keeps me sane, I thin.. more..

Writing
In In

A Story by Vonnie15