Control

Control

A Chapter by Vouren

A strong hit of sweat filled the air as Reinhardt made his way slowly back to his living quarters. The war council had finally finished and the plan for the attack was set. Though he had done he had done very little in the actual planning of the assault, he had been given a decisive role in how it played through. With the tide of the battle resting on his shoulders it was clear that everybody expected a lot from him in the coming days.
Turning the corner to the street his temporary house was on, and spotted Roas waiting outside on the street. Before he could finish debating if he could escape into an alley before she spotted him, the small fire elementalist made eye contact and began walking towards him. Sighing in annoyance he accepted his fate and approached her.
“I’m surprised to see you here Roas. Haven’t we seen enough of each other already today?” Trying to hide his disappointment with having to speak with her, he kept the conversation strictly business. If personality wasn't a factor in his discussion than Reinhardt would probably have been able to tolerate the strong willed woman. Her intolerable need to take part in everything often put her in the path of people who did not want to be crossed.
“Reinhardt, can I speak to you alone for a bit?" Staring into her dark brown eyes he could see that something was wrong. The typical liveliness that so often cracked the hard composure of nearly every person within the camp, was now subdued for some unknown reason. As much as he didn't want to deal with this at the moment it was imperative for Roas to be ready for the assault that would be underway in a very short time. 
        During the council meeting it was established that the frontal assault would be lead by Roas herself, with Reinhardt for support. Their goal was to create as much chaos within the enemy encampment as possible and draw the four winds away from Astraeus, leaving the master vulnerable. If everything went the way it was planned than the others should easily be able to bring the lone master down.
        "If you feel you need to speak Roas, than you should find someone who is a bit better suited for that type of thing. I've never been a very dependable speaker." After a few moments it became clear that she wasn't going to be brushed off and onto someone else so Reinhardt gave in and opened the door to his room. Waving her in he waited for the young fire elementalist to enter before closing the door behind them. 
        With only a limited amount of light able to break into their camp it always looked like the sun had already set. Near the far corner of the large room only a single light flickered softly. When the room was constructed Reinhardt had requested additional layers be added to the foundation, which dampened the sound that could enter from the outside activities. The deep silence created the exact atmosphere he needed when he wanted to vanish from the world for a while.
        Roas watched as Reinhardt unclasped his cape, all which was held on by one strap on his right shoulder, and threw is onto one of the many chairs in his room. At his request Ake had created him a way to hold his sword without his hands. The complicated device was attached his Dragon's Tail and sat comfortably on his back. Reaching up to the handle of his sword, he pushed it from his right shoulder to his left, forcing the metal clamp that held the blade still, to open and release.
        "Where did you find that sword? I've never seen anything like it before." From where he was standing he found the closest corner and rested the black sword against it. Even the darkness in the room didn't compare to the strange metal of his new weapon.
        "Did you really come here to speak about this?" Taking the hint better than he thought she would have Roas moved on.
        "I'm worried about this battle. Something about it just doesn't feel right."
        "What are your concerns?" With everything swimming through his mind it was hard to really focus on what she was saying.
        "Something about the plan doesn't add up. We're supposed to lead the initial charge and draw the four winds away from their master while simultaneously dealing as many casualties as we can. It almost seems like they want us dead. Our task is impossible."
        "You have the concept of the battle wrong. You're job is to strike them while they are not expecting and create as many casualties as possible before they are struck by the main force. While still risky you will not concern yourself with the four winds, that's for me to deal with."
        "I'm not leaving you alone to handle that all by yourself. I can help you fight them!"
        "Roas, I appreciate the concern but you must understand that you cannot handle them. My skills make me capable of handling them, otherwise I would die, just like the countless others who have before me."
        "During the council meeting I felt what you did with Klaas' power. It's felt exactly like when you stole my fire. How does that work?" 
        Realizing this conversation was going to be very long he sighed and decided that since he didn't sleep much anymore it would be an acceptable way to pass the time. "First, bring the flame from the candle over here." Doing as she was told, the flame started flowing in their direction. It came to a stop between them and he nodded his thanks. "As you know, and elementalist must release energy from their own bodies, mixing it with the environment around themselves."
        "Yes and then they combine it with the element they want and gain control of it."
        "That's actually a bad way to think of it. Have you ever noticed that some people are naturally better at shifting than other?"
        "Of course I have, they have huge reserves of power. Some people are so lucky."
        "If that's all that goes into creating a good elementalist than how do you explain Briccio?" Shock hit her face. Fighting for an answer she searched for anything that could explain the phenomena.
        "Briccio wasn't a gifted elementalist, he was really only good with his stave."
        "You're wrong Roas. Please understand that you're not used to looking at an elementalists power like I am. Briccio didn't use his power to 'control' an element. What he did was aligned his power with the will of what he was controlling and used that to guide the power." Looking at him confused he decided to word it differently. "He didn't move the earth, he made the earth decide it wanted to move."
        "That doesn't make any sense." Laughing at the look of confusion on the young woman's face he changed tactics. Releasing his own power into the fire he felt for her energy. While he was in control her energy was ripped away from the flames until only a small portion was left and, guiding her, Reinhardt fit it perfectly to the flames. "Oh!"
        "Can you feel the difference now?" Releasing his own hold on the flames he watched her struggle to maintain control.
        "It feels like I'm barely holding onto it, I need more power than this to hold it."
        "Relax, you don't need to control the fire, you just need to guide it to work for you. This will save your power, and make you far more dangerous when you've practiced enough." Pushing her away completely he took the fire and played with it in the air for a moment. "There is one more thing I am going to explain to you now that I have been working with. I'm pretty sure that none of your fellow soldiers have experienced this so I need you to keep it between us." Unable to break eye contact with him she watched, unblinking.
        Closing his eyes he searched the flame for the opening he was looking for. When he found it he flooded it with his power and the tiny flame rapidly grew until it was the size of his head. Roas fell backwards in shock, and fear.
        "What did you do!?" She screamed over the roar of the flames.
        "I did that with the same amount of power you used to control the tiny candle flame. Do you understand now what I am trying to say to you?" Nodding her head in agreement she slowly lifted herself from the floor. "Roas, take control of the flames, I will guide you." As she reached for the fire, Reinhardt guided her until she was in control of the ball.
        "This feels so strange!" Almost overcome with joy she was standing on the tips of her toes guiding the flames. Watching with a great deal of amusement Reinhardt noticed something strange. At first he thought he was seeing a reflection from the fire but then he realized it wasn't that at all.
        "Roas... your eyes." A frown crossed her lips but she didn't look away from what she was doing.
        "What about my eyes Reinhardt?" 
        "They're red." Within a moment her power faltered and disappeared. The fire disappeared and darkness flooded in to take its place.
        "That's impossible...no, that can't be." Her voice sounded horrified, and on the brink of tears.
        "What is it Roas?"
        "I can become a master."


© 2012 Vouren


Author's Note

Vouren
This chapter was written to explain how the elementalists work, and to fill in more of the relationship between Roas and Reinhardt. How does it fit?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
Added on December 14, 2012
Last Updated on December 14, 2012


Author

Vouren
Vouren

NH



About
First and foremost I love to write, that is why I'm here. Everything I work on falls into a single universe created called The Last Stand. Along with my writing i also dab into drawing (and I mea.. more..

Writing
Revival Revival

A Chapter by Vouren


Escape Escape

A Chapter by Vouren