Diatorn

Diatorn

A Chapter by Vouren

     A gentle breeze rolled through the courtyard as the Diatorn took control of the recruits. One by one they walked into the large group and took two of the awaiting men. By the time Treasa there as nobody left for her to be partnered with. Feeling like an outcast, she followed the tall man who had picked her to a far corner of the courtyard.
     His long green tunic flapped in the wind as a stray gust passed over them. The Diatorn was a large imposing man. Unlike the rest of his comrades he did not bother to wear the ornate white overcoat of his rank. What she could see of his body had shown the numerous years of combat, and muscles forged from rigorous, countless hours of training. His intelligent white eyes watched her carefully from behind his dark black hair.
     From behind Treasa could see another teacher moving towards her. Turning to look she was surprised to see that it was in fact a female. Also clad in the traditional green of the Diatorn, she was far smaller than the larger man. Treasa could see a mischievous smile on her lips. Her blond hair was pulled back into a long braid. Coming to a stop beside the first man she waited for him to continue.
     "We are your Diatorn. We have been tasked with training you and discovering what secret potential lies within you. As you have probably seen it is traditional for only one Diatorn to train a pair of recruits, but the Sect masters have seen fit to adapt our usual practices in order to see if you are, in fact, unique." The male seemed to be rigid and altogether unloving. His demeanor along told Treasa this.
     "No part of your training will be easier because you are different. To be honest your life here will be harder than any of the other recruits. It has been made clear that we are to treat you fairly, but Sect Master Siped has openly objected to this special care." The female had a strange, and exotic, accent when she spoke. In her short years, Treasa had never heard anything like it before.
     "We shall begin our training at once. Please follow us." In unison the two walked towards the exit of the room. Trying to keep up with their pace, Treasa had to jog at times, or fall to far behind. Neither spoke as they maneuvered through the maze of hallways. 
     Passing other trainees and recruits they all moved towards the side of the hallway and bowed their heads as the two green clad Diatorn walked by. After they had passed the students would look at her strangely before moving on their way. Treasa didn't understand much about what was going on but she did understand their eyes. They looked at her with the unease people gave to something they didn't understand, and because of that, contempt.
     In the distance Treasa saw a man in a long red coat appear. His white eyes told her that he had completed his assessment, but his uniform was far more decorative than anything she had seen before. Taking a lesson from what all of the others had been doing she lowered her head in respect. When the man had passed she brought her head back up, unexpectedly her Diatorn were watching her carefully.
     "You learn fast child. It typically takes corrective measures for a recruit to learn that lesson. You may survive the Fare Tilwin Reath after all." When the tall man turned back around she let out a small sigh, happy that she had done something correctly.
     "While we're walking we will start your lessons, child." With her exotic accent the attractive female Diatorn began speaking. "As you can see there is a clear rank structure within the temple. You are at the bottom, along with the other recruits. Above you are the trainees. You achieve this title when we have decided you are ready to move up. Do you understand this so far?"
     "Yes I do." A quick smack sent pain through her chin. The tall woman continued to speak as if nothing had happened.
     "While within the walls of this temple you will refer to everybody above your level by their title. Is this understood?"
     "Yes, Diatorn." Nodding at how fast she had learned she turned the lesson over to her male teacher.
     "As you already have been told, when you are ready you will undergo your assessment. If you survive this test you shall become a candidate. When this time has come, all of the sect masters shall gather and decide, based on how you did during your assessment, and decide which of the three sects you shall continue training under." Having had enough of speaking he motioned for his partner to begin speaking.
     "You have no choice in which of the three you join, and you will have no way of knowing how your actions during the assessment will influence the minds of the Sect Masters. This is why you may not speak to another who is in another stage of their training. Do you understand this, child?"
     "Yes, Diatorn." 
     "Good. Each of the three Sects has a different purpose. First is the Assault sect, Sect master Siped stands as their leader at the moment. His main directive is to lead his Fare Tilwin Reath upon the open battle field and from within the shadows outside of Fatir.
     The second belongs to Sect Master Fantus. He is in charge of our defense while within Fatir. This includes the shadows and open warfare. At the present moment he is the youngest of the three masters, but his expertise had decreased attempts to infiltrate our country to almost nothing. Finally there is the Guardian Sect. Sect Master Prod is in charge of this group. Their only mission is to protect Master Tyrour."
     "After being selected you will be given a new mentor, and at that time you will begin taking on missions and duties pertaining to your new status. This will likely be they first time you see a real battle field, and when you have proven that you are finally ready, you shall receive your title as a Fare Tilwin Reath."
     "When does one become a Diatorn?"
     "Diatorn are those who have outgrown the battle field, but are still capable of fighting, so they teach a new generation of Reapers."
     Her head was spinning with information by the time they stepped through an open doorway, and into the clean air outside the temple. Green grass crunched underneath their feet as they continued to walk. Taking a quick look around Treasa had trouble believing how large this place was. Each direction she looked in was covered by miles of walls.
     "Unlike all of the other recruits you have done something never seen before within the our history. For this you have already made a lasting impression upon the minds of many here. Do you know what you have done, child?" A look of amusement spread across her face.
     "I do not know, Diatorn. I have done nothing special since arriving here."
     "Not more than two hours ago you were asked to kill a member of another class to gain special privileges. Even though you failed to kill a mere trainee you are still being given special consideration. Remember, in this society you will fight to earn every ounce of respect given to you. Nothing here is free."
     "When you first picked me up you said something about me being unique, Diatorn. I have to assume this is what you're speaking of."
     "That is a correct assumption. Before you arrived to the temple you managed to kill a fully trained Fare Tilwin Reath. This is why you have been given special treatment."
     "I have no memory of that, Diatorn." After Siped had kicked her in the face she blacked out and awoke inside the temple. Nothing had been explained to her about what had taken while she was unconscious.
     Coming to a stop nearby another doorway they turned to wait for Treasa to catch up to them. Waving her inside, they waited for her to enter before following. Light inside the room was unusually bright, forcing her to squint and protect her eyes with her hand. Slowly adjusting to the light, she could see equipment like she had never seen before. Everything was new and without a doubt, not intended for recruits.
     "Rooms like this are where the Fare Tilwin Reath train. When your mind and body were pushed beyond your limits you were able to surpass those with decades more training than yourself. This is why the Sect Masters have decided that you shall start your training here, and under our tutelage, we will see what lies buried within your body." The male Diatorn drew a short wooden sword from a sheath inside his coat and lowered into a fighting stance.
     At the same moment the female picked a wooden tipped spear from a nearby wall stand. Preparing herself  in a similar manner to her partner they both waited. Hesitating, not sure what to do, Treasa picked up the closest thing she could find. Unsure what to do she could feel her arms shaking. Rushing forward in unison the young girl did everything she could to defend herself against the far more experienced warriors. 
     After a few volleys of strikes they withdrew and circled around her. Bruises had already begun rising from her s     kin. Panting from exhaustion the two looked doubtful, but Treasa refused to stop. Pushing herself she went on the offensive and closed on the female Diatorn. Barely dodging a blow from the spear, she had been able to slip inside the woman's striking range, making it harder for her to use the spear.
     A hand appeared from the corner of her vision and grabbed her neck, throwing her to the side. Unable to breath, she fought to get back to her feet, but the wooden spear tip was pressing against her belly. "You have much to learn girl, but it's a start." Taking up fighting stances again, Treasa was praying for the day of rest she would get before her assessment.


© 2012 Vouren


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on December 14, 2012
Last Updated on December 14, 2012


Author

Vouren
Vouren

NH



About
First and foremost I love to write, that is why I'm here. Everything I work on falls into a single universe created called The Last Stand. Along with my writing i also dab into drawing (and I mea.. more..

Writing
Revival Revival

A Chapter by Vouren


Escape Escape

A Chapter by Vouren