Anniversary

Anniversary

A Chapter by Vouren

     Waking up from a deep sleep Treasa shook off some pain in her back. It had been almost a years since she had first arrived at the temple. Even though she was only nine years old now there was a vast difference between the two ages. Having grown a few inches taller, Treasa fit her wardrobe a little better.
     Grabbing her clothes from the nearby chair, she began the long walk to the training hall she had visited everyday. Giving the respect deserving of those who passed her it usually took her an hour before she reached the opening to the training hall. As usual neither of her Diatorn had arrived, so she began warming up with simple striking drills with one of her training spears. 
     Thought her months of training had focused mainly on developing her body physically, and preparing her mind for the stress of combat, her teachers had taught her countless hours worth of information, tactics, and survival skills. She often found herself waking up before the sun rose everyday and finally able to retire to her room by the time a new day had started.
     All of the other students she had arrived with had less intensive training schedules. Most of their time was taken up by chores and other mundane tasks. Treasa often found herself wishing she could have the simple downtime that chores would allow her, but with two Diatorn available to train her, they didn't need to consider their own rest periods while planning her training.
     When she caught the sounds of footsteps approaching she ran to the training stand and put the spear back. Rushing to the door she took her place besides it and bowed her head in respect. Over time she had come to learn that her Diatorn had names. She would never be allowed to use them since that would be considered incredibly disrespectful, but it was still useful to think of them as humans.
     When she saw Sade walk through the door she knew it was going to be a training intensive day. Her male teacher was fond of physically hard workouts that would leave her tired and often bruised. Paqeal was softer in her approach but stressed having a sharp mind and speed rather than strength.
     Treasa often found that their teaching contradicted each others but she adjusted to whatever they wanted to do and continued on with her lesson. Unexpectedly Paqeal walked through the door as well. The arrival of the second Diatorn so early in the day caught her off guard and she almost forgot to give them their daily greeting.
     "For Fatir, Diatorn." 
     "Good morning child, we have a surprise for you today. As you are probably aware it has been one year to the day that you arrived here under our care. Though you have years of training left we believe you are ready for you next step." Pulling out a new uniform from a bag she carried, Paqeal handed it to her. Opening the bag she saw a dark blue uniform, remembering back to the day she arrived she new this was the uniform that trainees wore. 
     Bowing her head even deeper in respect she thanked the Diatorn for their acceptance of her abilities, and put her new uniform on. Noticing that there was no belt to replace the one she had already had she put on her old white rope. Nodding that she had done it correctly, Paqeal the bag back and threw it into the corner.
     "As a trainee the white belt represents that you are of your first stage. As you progress you will receive new colors and eventually the black of a full trainee. That day will be when you take your assessment. Do you understand child?"
     "Yes, Diatorn."
     "I'm glad you do. Now to begin today's training." Picking up the spear she customarily used Paqeal waited for Sade to take up his own weapon. As Treasa moved to take up her favorite sword Paqeal cut her off and began her assault forcing her away from the weapon rack.
     Sade began throwing a wide variety of weapons into the large maze of obstacles that covered the room. Forcing her into back into the obstacles she was forced to find a different weapon. By the time Treasa found something suitable to use the two Diatorn had vanished. Unhappy that the she had only found a practice flail, she began searching for something else to use.
     A movement from nearby told her that an attack was coming. Ducking out of the way, the wooden spear tip sailed over her head.
     "Good child! Now recite your history, begin with lineage." Trying to focus on the fight while remembering everything she had learned from her studies was difficult. Treasa knew the Diatorn was trying to prove something, that this was part of her lesson, she just didn't know what it was yet.
     "The current line of Elemental Masters is, to this day, the longest existing family line in Fatir history. Master Tyrour Fatir, son of Master Plasade Fatir..."
     "Skip to the beginning!" Sade had snuck up from behind her and was close enough to grab her around the neck and pick her up. Using one of her hands, she wrenched on his thumb, forcing him to drop her. With effort she swung the mace at his knee, but he easily blocked it and disappeared.
     "History tells us that during the Great War a young woman rose from her place as a common fire elementalist and stood against the Fire Master Briver Tempest. During the rebellion she had been hurt severely and almost died, but she escaped the battlefield."
     Spotting a shorter sword, Treasa threw down her mace and lept for the weapon. Grabbing the blade, she rolled on the ground and back to her feet. Sade was already almost on her before she could get her balance back. Knowing that she had no way of out muscling the man she dropped between his legs and scurried away under a log.
     Finally having a moment to breath she began reciting more of the history lesson. "Her injuries on the battle field were extensive, and she should have died, but her will to live drove her on. After the loss she sustained that day , she rallied untold numbers of followers and rose into power. Having never fully recovered from the battle she always wore a full cloak to hide her body. She was the first to call the dragons for aid, and from then on it has been the reason the Fatir line never died out."
     "You missed a part, what was her name?" As Treasa spun she blocked the spear that had been coming towards her chest. Catching the shaft of the weapon with her arm she drove the tip of the blade down, snapping it in two.
     "I never forget a name, that's disrespectful. Purposely leaving it out to draw you from hiding works well though." Sade walked around the corner with a grin on his face. The man was pleased with how well the girl had fought. She was just as surprised at how well she had managed to hold them both off.
     "Please finish the lesson Treasa." Sade leaned back against a nearby log and crossed his arms. Taking a seat next to the man, Paqeal jabbed what was left of her spear into the sand and waited for her to continue.
     "Unlike those before her, she believed that it was important to place the empire before her own desires and from that day forward took the name Fatir as her own. With all of the power she now possessed, the mere fire elementalist bested Briver and took the seat on Fatir's throne as Roas of Fatir."
     "Do you believe this tale child?" Treasa hadn't expected to be asked such a strange question. Until then her opinion had never been considered. Thinking the question over in her head she analyzed the entire story over and over.
     "I believe there are parts missing that would explain what happened better."
     "What needs to be explained child?" Paqeal had proven time and again that she was beyond normal intelligence and Treasa wasn't going to miss an opportunity to learn from her.
     "It was believed she was a mere fire elementalist, someone with no position, no authority. How was she able to raise the army for the first rebellion?" 
     "That's a good question child. Roas of Fatir was not the leader of the rebellion, she was only a mere soldier. During the battle she accidentally called a massive to the battle field. There was no bond between her and the beast as their is now and it burned the Duzee capital city of Nivged to the ground."
     "The rebellion was in Duzee? Why would she be in a rebellion all the way across the planet?"
     "She wasn't hadn't been fighting against Briver Tempest, she was actually fighting the Wind Master Astraeus. Briver had forged an alliance with Duzee and was their to join in the battle."
     "How large was the army that attacked Nivged? I don't know much about the empire but I have heard tales of the city's size."
     "You ask a valid question child. If the Master's archives are true than there force was nearly four hundred strong. Making them almost one hundredth the size of the force they attacked." Waiting for her to ask the question she knew was coming Paqeal sat patiently. 
     "Why would anybody attack an army of that size with so few soldiers?!" Treasa was having more trouble believe the story after receiving more information about the actual events. So much wasn't adding up anymore.
     "To put it simply nobody knows. Most of the records from that time were destroyed when the city was overrun by Roas' army. What we do know is that a temple was created within the boarders of Duzee as a tribute to that battle. It is known as the Temple of Six, and it's in memorial to the battle that took place that day."
     "The Temple of Six, do you mean the six masters, Diatorn?"
     "It is believed so child." Even though they were having an unusual conversation, Treasa could feel the Diatorn leading her towards something.
     "Why is there a memorial for the six masters in a place that only had two presently fighting at?" Nodding pleasantly at the question the Diatorn smiled.
     "History is full of these questions. Pieces of facts that don't line up, or are missing entirely. It then becomes our jobs to sift through these pieces and determine what  the truth is. Remember that even though we are training you to fight your mind is also one of your greatest allies, and knowledge can win wars." Standing up Paqeal quietly walked from the room. Sade waited for her to leave before standing.
     "It is time for your second lesson as a trainee. Pick up your sword." Nodding respectfully she picked up her sword and waited for instructions.


© 2012 Vouren


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on December 14, 2012
Last Updated on December 14, 2012


Author

Vouren
Vouren

NH



About
First and foremost I love to write, that is why I'm here. Everything I work on falls into a single universe created called The Last Stand. Along with my writing i also dab into drawing (and I mea.. more..

Writing
Revival Revival

A Chapter by Vouren


Escape Escape

A Chapter by Vouren