The Case Of The Cookies Monster

The Case Of The Cookies Monster

A Story by Ian Faraway
"

A great, humorous exercise to get myself into the 'Mystery' mindset

"
    "Seriously?! Who keeps taking cookies out of the cookie jar?" I asked frustratedly while holding up a empty, glass cookie jar. My family gave me a blank expression in response. It was the first time I yelled at them for an empty cookie jar. In fact, it was the fifth time in the past two weeks that I've found a full cookie jar empty the next day.
    "Whats he rambling on about?" My grandma gave my father and mother a quizzical look.
    "Nothing, Granny. Just the cookie jar again." My sister said louder than my weak, angry yelling.
    "Hey, son. Can you move over a bit? I'm trying to watch The Mentalist. " My father said from his lazy boy chair.
    "Fine! But I will find out who keeps eating the cookies." I said and marched off to my room.
    Since it was Friday night, I stayed up till around 3am figuring out how to catch whoever kept eating all the cookies. A light bulb went off in my head. I'll hide my new video camera that I got last month for my birthday in the kitchen overnight. As a fail safe, I would put in chocolate chip cookies and, when questioning the family, ask who ate the oatmeal cookies. Hopefully the culprit would correct me.
    I spent most of Saturday familiarizing myself with my video camera and shopping for the cookies I would use. After dinner, while the family watched TV, I creeped into the kitchen and placed the camera behind a stack of cereal boxes with enough space between them so the camera could see the cookie jar on the counter.
After doing that, I placed the chocolate chip cookies in the cookie jar and went up to my room for the night.       
    Before I fell asleep around 11pm, I had the strongest urge to keep running downstairs to catch the person red handed or look at the video camera.
    I awoke around 10am and rushed downstairs. As he expected, all the cookies were gone. I grabbed the video camera and fast forwarded the video until I saw a figure in the kitchen. I put the video on its normal speed. I had to squint my eyes and it took a second to recognize who it was.
    "Granny!" I rushed out of the kitchen and on to the porch where she usually spent her mornings reading.
    "Yes?" She asked without looking up from her book.
    "Did you eat the oatmeal cookies?"
    "Funny. tasted like chocolate chip cookies to me. But I guess taste buds go with age as well."
    I threw my arms into the air." What the hell, Granny?"
    "Don't you use that tone with me, young man. Your grandpa use to bake me cookies almost every week before he passed." She said looking up at me.
    "Really?" I sat down in the chair next to her feeling overwhelming guilty.
    "No. I just get hungry for cookies all the time. I'm only as sweet as the cookies I eat." She smiled and winked at me.
    "Getting real sick of your sick, Granny."

© 2013 Ian Faraway


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
Added on April 6, 2013
Last Updated on April 6, 2013
Tags: mystery, humor, cookies

Author

Ian Faraway
Ian Faraway

Somewhere, NH



About
Ian Faraway is simply a pen name and is not my actual name. Here are a few things to note: 1. If you need me to read anything you've written, please feel free to PM me. Also, let me know if you.. more..

Writing
Darkness Darkness

A Poem by Ian Faraway