Always Forward

Always Forward

A Story by Ian Faraway

    I'm standing in the rain at a fork in the road. Well, maybe if that fork had hundreds of extensions. There's too many ways to go and no way to decide which way is the right way.

    Heaving a sigh, I glanced down at my feet and watched the raindrops hit the ground. I could feel goosebumps as the cold raindrops hit the back of my neck. Looking behind me, I saw nothing but dark clouds and lightning. I lost sight of the road a few feet back and the clouds were upon me.

    I focused in front of me at all of the roads that seemed to welcome me with open arms. Which one do I take? Which one will be the right road to make me happy? I could usually handle a 50/50 chance between two paths to choose from but there were too many variables and choices to make. There was no way to know which one was the right way.

    The only thing that I knew was that I was soaking wet and tired of the miles of rocky roads I had taken up to that point. I just wanted to lay down on the side of the road and sleep. Maybe even drown in the storm that seemed to be at my heels. But I don't have that luxury to stop and rest. Because if I do, the storm will catch up to me and swallow me whole. I wasn't ready for that, yet. Especially since I haven't found what I was looking for along this treacherous road. Happiness... and love.

    When I find it, maybe then I'll open my arms and let the storm have me. But until then, I had to keep moving forward. I took one last deep breath and watched the mist from my breath fade into the air. I glared for a long minute at all of the roads that offered nothing to where they were heading.

    With a grimace and fast beating heart, I limped forward. Always forward.

© 2013 Ian Faraway


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"With a grimace and fast beating heart, I limped forward. Always forward." This last line says it all... Always Forward ... always.... thank you another thought inspiring piece.. shallimarRose

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
1 Review
Added on June 19, 2013
Last Updated on June 19, 2013
Tags: metaphor, fork, road, life

Author

Ian Faraway
Ian Faraway

Somewhere, NH



About
Ian Faraway is simply a pen name and is not my actual name. Here are a few things to note: 1. If you need me to read anything you've written, please feel free to PM me. Also, let me know if you.. more..

Writing
Darkness Darkness

A Poem by Ian Faraway