To Change Or Not To Change

To Change Or Not To Change

A Story by Ian Faraway
"

A little metaphoric piece about changing for the better

"

                   I’m just standing in front of my small white car. The cold floating slowly around every movement I made. I sat back to lean against the car’s hood. I stared through three windows that were side by side almost like a painting in the Harry Potter movies put side by side. I looked through the windows to see teens that were my age. All of them laughing, smiling, talking, and enjoying the cool night and each other’s company.

               A street light flickered from above and I focus on my surroundings for a brief second. Stillness, no sound from anywhere but the small building the teens were in. It felt like time had almost stopped dead in its track, or slowed down to dance with the cool air. Nothing moved and with that second, I wondered if I was real… here at this moment. Was this just a strange dream I’d wake up from? No, it was real.

               I glared back into the three windows where laughs and talk could be heard. Time was dancing around merrily inside but the teens didn’t seem to mind, as if they didn’t have a care in the world.

               “Gimme my heyboard!” A younger boy’s voice screamed out through the glass. In the background a piano could faintly be heard. It started off playing Beethoven then Adam Lambert, and finally just random taps of keys before dying down.

               I looked down briefly then looked back into the glass to notice a girl my age dressed as a 50s housewife glaring at me through the glass. The air around me warmed slightly and I looked down again. When I looked back up, she was gone… but only for a second. She reappeared through a doorway that I forgot existed and approached me with a smile.

               “What are you going out here?” She asked easily. Her brown eyes gleamed in the street light above and a bandana tying her messy red dyed hair back.

               “Nothing, just thinking.” I replied in a small voice. For me, a small ticking sound began inside my head. Almost to say that she started the clock for me.

               She shook her head and smiled while crossed her arms against the growing cold.” Well, wanna come think inside? It’s kind of cold out here and it’d be nice to see you have fun for Halloween.”

               I faked a smile and nodded briefly barely able to gather my thoughts while looking at her.

               “Alright.” I say softly.

               “I’m not going to stay out here.” She said after noticing I didn’t move.” So come on.” She turned and walked back inside.

               The cold that barely registered to me before began to sink into my skin causing the hairs on the back of my neck to stand on end. My fingers started going numb and my teeth started shaking slightly. I grimaced knowing what I would do next. I stood straight and walked in that girl’s path. I stopped short and stared at the knob to the door that led inside where life lived and was cherished. I looked back towards the car and standing there was me, with a black hoodie over my head and pale skin. Bags were under my eyes and my shoulders slumped and I was alone. I sighed and reached towards the knob and looked back at the ghost me who just stared at me with cold, hate filled eyes.

               “It’s OK. We can turn this around…together.” I whispered. The expression on the ghost’s face softened and he looked down then nodded at me as if he knew we both needed to change before we perished into the eternal darkness. I turned the knob on the door and pushed it open. I looked in to see teens dancing, laughing, talking… everything was carefree. I looked back towards the car and saw the ghost gone.

               I sighed and nodded to myself again. I stepped inside the lighted house that was filled with warm air and warm hearted people my age. 

© 2010 Ian Faraway


Author's Note

Ian Faraway
Not my best work but it should clearly tell you sort of what this piece is about...hopefully..... LET ME KNOW!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it. I think many if not most young feel left out and outside of the crowd at least part of the time. Many a lot more then that. This catches that feeling very well.


Posted 13 Years Ago


I can kind of understand where it's trying to go, but it's not very clear in the POV. The direction you are going is nice and it kept me reading through, but just clean up and POV and you would have a very rocking piece of writing here :)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 26, 2010
Last Updated on October 26, 2010

Author

Ian Faraway
Ian Faraway

Somewhere, NH



About
Ian Faraway is simply a pen name and is not my actual name. Here are a few things to note: 1. If you need me to read anything you've written, please feel free to PM me. Also, let me know if you.. more..

Writing
Darkness Darkness

A Poem by Ian Faraway



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Forgotten Forgotten

A Poem by TJ


Numb Numb

A Poem by Akshat♥