Mundan

Mundan

A Story by Wabbajack
"

Fictional article about Mundan, a nation in Scitasy.

"

The nation of Mundan was first formed shortly after the end of the Continental War. They broke apart from Western Lunaris over the issue of magic. Some of the people in Western Lunaris believed that those with magic oppressed those without magic, and those people gradually migrated north to get away from the Nebuni Wastes. The over-population of the north and sparse population of the south, coupled with Mundani adamantly refusing to leave their new homes, forced the Northern Solenians to grudgingly move southward.

There were occasional skirmishes that erupted over possession of the north. This was because there wasn’t enough room for all of the Mundani, and they desperately tried to take Solenian homes by force. The homeowners naturally tried to defend their homes, but the Mundani stuck together, and one by one, took over thousands of Solenian residencies. With Western Lunaris having just gained their independence, they were still too young of a nation to have a police force.

After the majority of the Solenians had moved southward, toward the Wastes, the Mundani declared their independence. Initially, the Republic of Western Lunaris denied the secession, but the Mundani revolted, practicing guerilla warfare on Solenian homes and businesses. Not yet having had the opportunity to form an army, Western Lunaris finally agreed to let the Mundani secede and rule themselves. No longer having the unification of the two peoples, Western Lunaris changed its name to the Solenian Republic.

The first thing the newly formed Mundan did was to outlaw the use of magic, although being born with magical abilities cannot be helped and is therefore not a crime. Even though it is not a crime to be born with magic, it is a cultural norm that those who are will be shunned, mocked, and even sometimes beaten in the streets.

The second thing the Mundani did was to establish, ironically, the city of Obsidian Spires as their new capitol. To understand why this is ironic, one must first understand the history of Obsidian Spires.

Near the beginning of the Fae Invasion, the Fae’s stone mages erected an enormous castle made of obsidian from which to command as they sought to conquer Ancient Lunaris. Later, after Gryphon’s Roost was built and established as the seat of the Empire, the castle became a school for enchanting. As the school grew in popularity, the town of Obsidian Spires grew around it. The school, then called the Enchanter’s Academy of Lunaris, eventually took part in the yearly magical competitions known as the Imperial Games.

When the Mundani took over Obsidian Spires and made it their capitol, they burned every tome, textbook, and research paper in the Academy. They renamed the castle to Faehaven, a historical reference, and made it the official capitol building.

The third thing the Mundani did was to establish a ruler. They voted on who their new ruler was to be, and an elf known only as Mutahar was chosen. Mutahar established the government documents, stating that after the death of each dictator a vote on the next ruler was to be called, and choosing what limits and boundaries the dictator had.

About a decade after Mundan became its own nation, a school for crafting was built in the middle of nowhere. Craftsman University went unnoticed for many years, teaching crafts to only travelers who passed by. As word spread about the university, popularity gradually grew, and by Mundan’s third decade, the beginnings of a town were formed. As more and more students attended the school, more teachers and more space were needed. This brought stone masons from afar who were seeking work, and as the project of building a larger school would take time, the masons took up residence. Finally, with a small town formed, a name was needed and the residents all gathered in the town square and decided on Mundan City. Because Craftsman University offers teaching in many different crafts, including bowmaking, fletching, bookbinding, blacksmithing, silver and gold smithing, and basket weaving, it has become a popular school to attend, and Mundan City is now a major city.

© 2019 Wabbajack


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

51 Views
Added on March 9, 2019
Last Updated on March 9, 2019
Tags: Fantasy, politics, magic, Scitasy, Mundan

Author

Wabbajack
Wabbajack

Boone, IA



About
I like to write. And other things... I'm not talking about them right now. ITS TIME TO SAVE THE REALM! RESCUE THE DAMSEL! SLAY THE BEAST! ...or die trying. ^^ You know you love the Sheo. Anyone an.. more..

Writing