Last Christmas with Grandpa

Last Christmas with Grandpa

A Story by Wannabewriter16
"

My last christmas with my grandpa

"

Do you remember the last Christmas with your Grandpa? I would suppose that you would

remember it,unless they died before you where born or while you were really young.

I remember the last Christmas with my Grandpa like it was yesterday.  My family had went to my Grandparents house when I was 10 for Christmas. We were told that it could be the last Christmas that we would spend with my Grandpa. It was the most memorable Christmas experience I can remember having.

My Grandpa was a man that loved horses.

I remember when my Grandpa had showed me this horse that he really loved and said that he wanted it some day. Well before my family and I left for Missouri for Christmas my dad took me to by the horse for my Grandpa. When we got there I just knew that it was meant for us to buy the horse. One thing that I loved about the horse was that 1. It was a horse. 2. It had a cardinal on it and he loved cardinals. 3. it had music notes coming from birds and his last name was Birdsong. When bought the horse they asked us if we wanted the horse wrapped up and we had them wrap the horse up and left the store.  I was really excited to get my Grandparents hose because I was excited to see my Grandpa because I was a major Grandpa’s girl. I could feel the excitement welling up inside of me as we packed the rest of our things for the trip and got on the road headed to their hose.

When we first got into Missouri we called my Grandparents to let them know that we would be there in just a few hours.  We stopped at a gas station where we knew that we had some friends that had missed us very much. When we pulled up to the gas station and went in to say hi they were so happy to see us. They wrapped us up in hugs,saying I can’t believe you guys showed up like this!!!!! Our friend Sammy said,”Let me buy you guys something to drink,my treat.” We gladly let her do so,because we were really thirsty and wanted to spend a few minutes with them before heading the rest of the way to my Grandparents house,which was a few hours away. While she was getting us our drinks we sat there talking to some of the people that we knew who were also there that day. It smelt really good in the gas station because someone was making food in the kitchen  

After we got done talking to everyone we got up and started got back on the road to my Grandparents house a few hours away. When we finally got to my Grandparents house we went up and knocked on the door. The moment that they opened the door and I saw my grandpa standing there I hugged him tightly and told him and my grandma that I love them and they said that they loved me as well. Quickly we all brought our stuff in and I remember my grandpa and grandma warning us not to try and sleep on the floor,but instead they told us to sleep in the extra bedroom.  As I walked into the nice and clean room I thought about how much love she had put into making sure that this room was ready for us. 

Later that night we all sat down for dinner with my grandparents,they told us about how my grandpa’s chance was back and how it was even worse than last time he had it. I remember getting up from my chair at the table and hugging my grandpa and telling him that I loved him with all of my heart and that I will always be his little girl. I felt like I was on the verge of tears when he looked at me and said don’t be sad,I’m not giving up that easy.  As I went tp my seat everyone started to laugh and have fun while I sat there in silence thinking about what it would be like not to have him around,I hated it. 

A few days later I woke up to it snowing heavily and Remembered that it was Christmas morning and that we could now open our gifts,but I was more excited to give my grandpa his.  When everyone started to open their gifts I told everyone else that I wanted to be the last one to give grandpa his gift,they said okay.  When my grandpa was finally ready to open my gift I could feel my heart starting to pound harder. My hands were a little bit shaky as I handed him the gift. He slowly started to unwrap it as I told him to be careful. When he finally unwrapped it he was in shock. Tears started to flow down his face as he hugged me and said thank you so much,I love you. It was the greatest feeling in the world to be in his arms.

The saddest part about this whole thing was that this was the very,very last time that I was actually able to give him a Christmas gift or have him hold me in his arms. On Nov. 7th of 2011 at 1:22A.M. my grandpa took his last breath while I was in the next room sleeping

© 2015 Wannabewriter16


Author's Note

Wannabewriter16
This was an paper for my English class that I did.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting. Not to sound intrusive, but what grade did you get? (Don't share if you don't want to)

One thing that really bugs me is that the writing is centered. It's not standard, and, while readable, really truly annoying.

This is obviously a true story, and I respect that. I can't tell reality to polish up on it's plot, even though it should. If this were fictional, I would somehow make it that the Christmas morning was a dream, and when she woke up, the grandpa was dead. More emotion that way.

Third to last paragraph: grandpa's chance was back and it was worse. A chance? Spelling error?

Good overall. Personally, I love true stories when they fit, and this does. Not many people write non-fiction here, I respect that.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Wannabewriter16

8 Years Ago

If I remember right I got a B+ on the paper. Thank you, yes it was a true story. It was my story ab.. read more
The mark of a good story is when the reader WANTS to turn the page and continue reading/listening. This is a good story. There are ways to make it more easily readable, and there are a few "flaws" that an edit will resolve.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Wannabewriter16

8 Years Ago

Thank you for the review. It means a lot

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 23, 2015
Last Updated on September 23, 2015
Tags: christmas, love, family, death, sadness, gift

Author

Wannabewriter16
Wannabewriter16

OK



About
Hello my name is Bonnie and I'm 18 years old and I love to write. more..

Writing