The Wisdom of the Angel

The Wisdom of the Angel

A Story by WatcherInSilence

A young boy embarked on a journey to find his Truth. He climbed a mountain so high it was said the clouds could be reached from it. Once the boy arrived at the peak of the mountain, he knelt on both feet, closed his eyes, and prayed to the skies.


A northern wind blew his way. Sensing a sudden rush of emotions, he lifted his eyes skywards and was staring at an angel. The creature was nothing like the descriptions he had read across the years: no wings, no halo, just a modest little man in a white robe with a pale face.


The boy was blinded by the light radiating from the angel’s body. Out of fear, he took a single step back and waited cautiously for the holy angel to make its move.


The angel could see the youngster’s bewilderment. He carved a smile on his face. Then, in a soft voice, he asked the boy: ‘Tell me child, what is it that you desire the most?’


The boy was overtaken by the question. He stood in silence, thinking for a moment, trying to process the words in his head before choosing them carefully.


‘I desire love’, he then faintly responded.


The angel was silent. He feigned another smile. Then, in a subtle movement, he approached the young lad and whispered in his ear: ‘I cannot grant you love, for love is not given but earned.’ He then grabbed the boy’s hand and placed a seed in it.


Upon the angel’s departure, the boy was confused. He had asked to be loved, and in return ended up with a seed in his hand. In the upcoming days, the boy received regular visits from his angel, and the latter explained to him that the seed was one of a kind due to its special ability: once it grows, it allows access to a precious treasure. The angel also explained to the boy that in order to preserve his seed, he must water it daily.


So the boy, fueled by his desire to get his hands on the treasure, decided to plant his seed on the mountain top. However, the weather there was dry and rocky, and it rarely rained.


The drought lasted for weeks, and the seed barely grew. The youngster grew worried and feared on missing out on his treasure. He wept for days irrigating the rocky ground with his tears. The following morning, the boy woke up and found a little sprout in the ground. The seed had grown into a black decaying plant. Frustrated, the young boy turned to the skies and cried out for the angel’s help.

The latter showed up. He examined the boy’s face, his sorrow reflected in his eyes drowned in tears and disappointment.


The angel approached him and asked him about his troubles. The boy, sobbing, replied in a low voice: ‘I asked for love, yet you handed me a worthless plant that could not give me love. You promised me a treasure, yet the plant does not grow and cannot give me my treasure. Why do you stand in the way of my happiness?’


Upon hearing the boy’s accusation, the angel gently struck his palm on his face, gently caressing it. The boy was soothed. The angel then replied: ‘Sometimes, the things we desire the most are the things worth fighting for.’


‘But how can I fight for something I desire if all I can do is sit there and stare at it? I have no water’, replied the despairing boy.


‘Patience’, said the angel with a smile,’ For patience restores faith in the darkest of times‘.


He then explained to the young boy that the tears he had shed over the past days had irrigated the decaying seed and helped it grow. Unconvinced by the angel’s claims, the boy wept in desperation.

But just then, the boy felt a cold drop of water on the top of his head. He looked skyward and observed the rain pouring in a drizzle. His face shone in a perfect smile and he immediately turned to the angel, recognizing the part he had played in summoning the rain. The latter stood there in silence as if meditating and the raindrops traversed his shining body in perfect harmony, creating a majestic display of lights that erupted into a rainbow.


The droplets of rain fed the dying plant, reinvigorating it and blowing life back into it. The plant, once weak and decaying, flourished into a perfect green mix of flowers and leaves.


The boy was jubilant. He stood in awe, amazed by what had unfolded in front of his eyes. He ran over to his plant and seized a flower with both hands. He observed it, turned it on its side and gazed at its beauty. It was a fine rose dyed in blood red velvet.


The youngster smiled. Right there, on the mountain top, he held his treasure firmly in his hands. He had also learned to care for it. That day, the boy experienced love for the first time in his life.


Having finally sought what he came for, the young boy heard the angel’s words echoing in the back of his head: ‘Sometimes, the things we desire the most are the things worth fighting for’. He had endured a torrid battle, but was left standing with his prized possession.


Sometimes we drift away from the value of those surrounding us. The people we cherish, that one person we love, the people who cross our paths all leave influential marks on our lives. They plant seeds that we only harvest by fighting, struggling and defying adversity.

But others walk into the gardens of our lives, leaving decaying weeds that ultimately breed dark thorns and black leeches that can be uncut once they are seeded. And what can we do when our gardens are ravaged by the vile thorns of the dark?

© 2014 WatcherInSilence


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It is an absolute that the messages within your offerings are seeds to my enlightenment. What a treasure this is. You have been missed! Amazing, this one.

Posted 10 Years Ago


WatcherInSilence

10 Years Ago

Thank you my dear friend! Your reviews, as always, are welcome seeds as well in my poor garden...And.. read more
Solilokiss

10 Years Ago

You're most welcome. Sorry to hear you are without your inspiration lately. Hope it returns in full .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 6, 2014
Last Updated on January 6, 2014