We The Wtiters

We The Wtiters

A Story by Carmel Kirk
"

The is a truth of my perception. This is a voice for the voiceless. This is for all those tired. Tired of waking up every single day only to realize that our dreams are nothing more than dreams.

"

Welcome

Hello! If you're reading this, I'm assuming that many years have passed. My name is not important, but I hope that my message will be. Now that were introduced, I'd like to extended an invitation back to the past. Here we are in the wonderful year of 2017. Me and all those living have survived everything life has thrown our way thus far. We've survived every heartache, every failure, and the endless abyss disappoint. We've survived though and thrive. Despite our shortcomings, and apathy, we've carry knowledge by lessons learned hard. Wars, famine, disease, great floods, tornados, genoicide, internet, plagues and the great alien attack of 1999. Just kidding about the last one, although many have claimed to have been abducted. Our Scientists are exausting our every resource to find life beyond our green and blue world. I am the emobodyment of a middle class citizen. A product of the American Dream. We all are. We are the ones given a chance to live life. The lucky ones, or the cursed ones. Depends on the persons perspective behind the eyes..Since landing on the moon, we have came a very long way. Discovered things in space that would forever change our view of the universe. Countless planets and stars and and supernovas and blackholes. Things far beyond our comprehens ion and a challenge to our imagination. Travelers of the great cosmic city, but the planet Earth, we still come home. Surrounded by so much beauty, and natural wonder, like a grand symphony soley for us. We show our appreciation, and our passion for this gift we've been given. We show it by raping the lands and stealing it's beauty. Billions of thieves scattered about, passionate and remorseless. We have made incredible strides and witnessed evolution in our lifetimes. We have advanced so far and learned so much through technology. Enough so, that we're are sending robotic machines and invisible signals throughout the universe to find life outside of our little blue and green floating marble. Now our common knowledge, but once just mere speculation by our not-so-distant ancestors. Idealists and teachers, generals and preachers. Theorized conclusions regarded as facts. At one point it was accepted theory that the earth was flat. Even made mention in the greatest piece of literature ever written, the Bible. Four corners of the earth. People also thought that a rain drought was the product of an angry deity bent on punishing them. However, nice amounts of sunshine and rain meant they were forgiven and would be blessed with plentiful crops. We now have historic museums that display enormous beasts who once ruled and roamed the lands. Dinosaurs is what they were called. Way before man and women, but they possesed no knowledge of the former tenants. How could they know that they were only there because of meteors and a ice age. Cavemen that grunted and clubbed women. A great ark with 2 of every animal on board, along with a single family. 40 days and night of rain that subsequently eradicated the entire population of Earth. All except those animals and that one very lucky family who were left to rebuild all 4 corners of Earth. So, in that sense, we have progressed as a society. Though our ways in the human aspect, still lost in the wreckage. Vanity and greed have consumed us all in one way or another. Consumers. A front row seat to our own flick, We gaze upon our neighbors with envy. Making sure they don’t have more than we do when we should be checking to see make sure they have enough. Instantly discard entire groups of people because they don’t worship the same Gods from the same book as we do. We love to the play the part of judge, prosecutor, and executioner. We point the finger at everyone around us while avoiding ourselves. Most of us wake up every day, already tired. Tired of our hopes only beings hopes. Tired of feeling like a dog being avoided by the sun. Tired of waking up every single day of our lives, only to realize that our dreams are nothing more dreams. Tired of feeling like we're too small to ever make a difference. Our voice too low to be heard over the piercing volume of foolish chatter. Our essence, our hearts, our emotions, the only thing separating us from wild animals. Have now become just one big routine. We are an illusion. Billions of us moving around, talking and breathing, but very far from alive. We are not our jobs, or cars, how big our house is. We're not a statement printed out at a bank, or numbers given by the government. We're so much more than a statistic stored away in a file somewhere. We're also not the character we play around the crowds of people. Who we are is truly revealed when we are alone. What are we reduced to then? What thoughts and desire live rent-free in our heads. Can we reject the selfishness? Peel back our layers and step down from the high horse. Can we see the light of the big picture through the tiny hole that's left?

Blissful are the dreams of the young. Dreams of money, fame, partying and sex. To be the latest star on the next scripted reality show. Common sense and intelligence replaced with obnoxious, empty, words. Boy, do we love it though. We're all ears to those who have nothing to say. We reward the loudest and most shallow. No one seems to notice, no one seems to care. We can remain oblivious to everything around us. Thinking outside the box really just isn't in right now. Packed away in our little boxes we call our homes. Slaves to the idea decorating and nesting. They want us happy and content. The content will never start an uprising or lead a revolution. We stay silent and obedient. We stare face to face with starving and dying children behind our computer and television screens in our cozy houses. Take one second to imagine the horror of literally starving to death. Or the poor ;little kids scared and shaking at the thought of their abusers. Tear stained pillows. Another night spent crying their selves to sleep. Waiting for a monster to open up their door and hurt them again. The lust of a sadist. They've murdered for the sake of a moment's pleasure. Murders of the literal and metaphorical variety. The ones who got to keep their life are dead in their own way now. Something is stolen from them that they'll never get back. Maybe if we flip it off quick enough, and block out these images, it will also change the channel in our minds. Eventually, fade off and erase it completely. That way, we can spare ourselves the guilt. Float right through the days and approach the night with only sleep on our minds. If we're bothered badly enough, and feel truly compelled to do something, we may share a picture, or status, or our thoughts and prayers on a social media website. Though we know that no amount of comments or likes will feed or heal the children, it temporarily bandages our conscience. Take a stand without leaving our seats. Welcome to the joystick revolution.

The fact is: People kill themselves every day without realizing the gifts they have. Without realizing their true potential and the beauty before their eyes.The thought of death more appealing than living one more day in this world. That should be a wake-up call as a whole, but we continue to sleepwalk. Almost become desensitized after a while. People also murder each other every day and cut short a person's one chance at living. With every breath, a lifetime passes. Let's raise a toast. It very well could be the last night for anyone of us. We’re quick to pull that trigger of judgment, aren't we. What if we found ourselves living out the words of an old saying? Cliches though overused, always hang around because they contain an element of truth. What if we really did have to walk a mile in someone else’s shoes? Would we stumble and trip in their footsteps? Try to call out for help, but only find condemnation. So many have fallen and never got up. What if one person would've offered and hand embraced them? Offered up an ear just to listen during their last, desperation days. It could have meant everything. Alternatively, it might not have changed a thing. Empathy can be a very powerful thing, as well as apathy. Who's has time for that, though? We're far too busy. If it doesn't benefit us, why bother right? Sadly apathy wins that battle most of the time. We never know what the stranger we pass on the street is carrying inside them. A beautiful lady: an empty shell. A huge bodybuilder: a scared child inside. Homeless bum: Veteran of war. Wealthy CEO: broke internally. Famous comedians: Desperately depressed. Sincere pastor or priest speaking to a congregation: A wolf watering at the mouth, sharpening it's teeth for the feast of the lambs.


I've never made a resolution, but this year I want to continue my journey to selflessness. I want to be as humble as humanly possible. Never too busy that I turn away from someone in need. Not for a reward, nor the fear of consequences, but to be a small light to those lost in the dark. I welcome all those broken, discarded, and abused. I know times will get tough, and we may find ourselves in the valleys, but it's only then we can truly appreciate the mountain tops once more. I want to feel gratitude for the happiness in life, as well as the pain. Pain that inspires the words I bleed. Cherish the things I do have, instead of always wanting more.

If you feel completely alone in the world, enjoy the company of knowing that someone, somewhere has felt what you are feeling. Know that in spite of it, they made it out alive. Not only alive but better for it. Stronger, older, and wiser. A sailor doesn't earn their title by only navigating across smooth seas. The storms and high tides are when our true face is revealed. Everything you need in life may be but a perspective away. No such thing as hopelessness. I refuse to ever believe that. No matter your crimes, vices, or addictions. There's still goodness and potential resting inside your heart. Rock bottom is a lonely place with a bitter taste. As lay there, the serpent will whisper into your ear. Convince you that's where you belong, and there's no point in trying to stand up, just to be knocked right back down. Offer you a way out. A way to keep you from hurting the ones you love, from hurting yourself. You'll be shown a picture that's beautiful and tempting. Though the backside and the true colors, stay hidden. The whispers deceive you with a means to an end. Comforts you with a false embrace, then laughs right in your face when you give in and give up. No matter the depths that you've sank. No matter the circumstance, or situation. No matter the weight your affliction weighs down your shoulders, or how long the way back home is.Every day, ordinary people do extraordinary things. We never know how strong we really are until something forces us to find out.

We the writers: bear a responsibility. Blessed with a burden in a sense. The wicked are out there and we know to fear the wicked, but good people are also doing the damage. Though they fail to realize it, it leaves a dent each time. Blood soaked hands and puzzled faces. For they fell victim to their own indifference. Silent voices avail nothing for anyone. Brilliant ideas, useless, without a voice to speak it. Ignorance is easily forgiven, as it is simply a lack of knowledge. It’s the ones who are armed with the tools to make a difference, but still refuse. Those that lived it, or watched a loved one suffer through it, should be on the frontlines. Sympathy allows us to feel bad for a person, but empathy allows you to feel the pain all over again. Seeing the dark and haunted eyes, offer up a reflection of our former selves. I’ve watched some come out victorious against their own demons, then turn right around and condemn others still fighting theirs. Remember the extended hands that helped you to your feet in life. Be cautious of those you meet on your way up, as they will be the first ones waiting to greet you if you may fall back down. Can we break the chains of regularity and complacency? Can we be truly appreciative and not take anything for granted. Our simplest everyday freedoms that never cross the mind, are but a dream in the minds of so many. Pipe dreams for most. See behind the veil, and beyond the lies, stands a glass of beauty. Let it reveal the joy of truth. Tell those you love how much they mean to you. It could all be taken away in just an instant.


To the weary and tired: I hope you find some rest. As long as air fills your lungs, then hope still exists. Know that you deserve happiness and you’re worth whatever it takes to get there. Hope for a day, a day when tears of joy will replace those of sorrow. Our challenges and struggles can define who we are as people. The mask and skin that cover from head to toe, determine nothing of our character. I am above no living thing, nor anything above me. No matter race, religion, creed, gender, or social status. Sometimes we have to look beyond the illusion. Being strong sometimes means admitting that you're weak. If you feel like your climb is too steep, and you're fighting an uphill battle, ask someone for help. Swallow your pride as much as it takes. Keep climbing and fighting. Inch by inch and step by step will eventually take you miles and miles. Take no comfort in the wave of the white flag. The finish line waiting for you. Climb and scrape until the blood runs down your hands if you have to. Let the failure and anger strengthen your resolve. Don't quit. Don't ever quit. The greatest gift we bear is the ability to change.

Whoever may end up seeing this: know you're beautiful and someone out there loves you. Your hopes, dreams, goals, and your life, it does matter. Make it count for those it got the better of. Follow your dream for those who can no longer follow their own. If you find yourself living your dream, even for a second, you'll find a freedom that few will ever know. Life is like our own personal book or movie. Through some chapters have passed, the ending still incomplete. The sadness of previous chapters overcome so many from advancing the plot and ever finishing. If you find yourself there, simply light a match and burn all the pages. The direction is left to our creative freedom. Block the hands that try to dictate the outcome. Make it count. Make it count every single day. Grab the wheel and take control. Make it yours. Be the writer of your story.

© 2017 Carmel Kirk


Author's Note

Carmel Kirk
As I state with this content, I'm fully aware that words are often empty and can be disguised as sincerity, integrity, and good intent. These are the words I bleed. It's about discovery and letting go. It's gratitude for hitting rock-bottom. To truly feel humbled and admit you know nothing. The beginning of growth and enlightenment as a person. It's also the effect of apathy and silent voices.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

317 Views
Added on September 13, 2016
Last Updated on January 20, 2017
Tags: gnorance, technology, apathy, suicide prevention, history, present, future, hope, earth, universe, addiction, judgement, redemption, words, change, empthy, abuse, stolen voices, welcome the broken

Author

Carmel Kirk
Carmel Kirk

Charleston, WV



About
Musician, writer. I love all different types of music, movies, and books. I'm a vocalist/songwriter for a band, but my first and true passion is writing. Being from a very small town in a small sta.. more..

Writing
12 12

A Story by Carmel Kirk