Apple and Pine

Apple and Pine

A Poem by YouoweYoupay
"

Awake under an apple tree..

"

 

 

 

Apple and Pine

 

 

 

  If I dip a toe into the foam and ask the glorious sun to be my compass, the motherly ship of the Atlantic would reprimand me with the fat sound of its horn and I would cling in fear to one leg of the pier.

 

  Then I would have to sneak from the dull side of the shore, and coax the dolphins with a sneaky smile, to guide me. And sometimes we would swim swiftly and other times we would leap into the air and make fun of seagulls and Tuna.

 

  Not long after I would be ambushed by sirens of frost-kissed skin, large black eyes and faded dimples.

 

  They would make me choose between hopping into their dinner stove, or belly-dancing under the white and purple lights of midnight kelp and jellyfish.

 

  But I would only dance for one pair of eyes, I would say, and those eyes were bluer and more exquisite than their grand Atlantic.

 

  So, the foreign ladies of the ocean would exchange looks of agreement and for having such a touching tale to tell, they would circle around me and hum for me to magically awaken under an apple tree somewhere in Nashville.

 

  From there I'd run and scamper, and you'd run too, because running is good for your heart, and because we would finally hug and spin while hugging, and spin and spin at the borders that cut between Kentucky and Ohio.

 

But that could take years, and a fertile mind plot of imagination.

 

  So, in hopes that you will remember to read soon again, and in case you think you might have many more years to invest and save and fewer goodbyes to wave,

 

Come to me, darling.

 

  My money isn't cramping my wallet, and I can't promise you wild adventures in starry desert nights or unforgettable ecstasy on dance floors neighboring blaring DJ beats.

 

 Our hills are old and humble, and our streets might make you often stumble.

 

  We would smoke a hubbly bubbly and get drunk on our hearty laughter and tunes from the 20's. And I will get us lost in the shades of the sticky pine trees.

 

  So, I will not beg or mope or kneel, but I will squint and ask you for real and hold my pen tightly to my chest,

 

For just a fraction of a bittersweet summer,

 

Be mine.

 

© 2013 YouoweYoupay


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Those first three lines are especially delicious but the end is as well. Love the little internal rhymes and alliteration throughout - and the story....the story - the expectation...yes.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Very pretty ! an easy, gentle read.

Scott

Posted 10 Years Ago


I found this amazing, truly enjoyed what I read. Keep it up!

Posted 10 Years Ago


This poem is very beautiful... Loved it!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Unbelievable imagery. If I were only to write something so effortless as this! Wonderful job. Any words of wisdom?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Yeah! I love your poem, sublime

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is incredible! Using the inanimate to communicate your interesting and captivating message? Awesome! I thought my poem "Island Of Pain" had some inanimate activities, but my goodness, this out beats mine by a tremendous margin.
Good work. Nah! Great work.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is a really beautiful text, to say any more would do it and your talent an injustice.

Posted 10 Years Ago


The imagery is just divine! a great use of adjectives and amazing structure well done

Posted 10 Years Ago


This was awesome! I love the light-hearted but still serious tone. Very effective. Great job, my friend!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

444 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 16, 2013
Last Updated on November 17, 2013
Tags: poem, story, love, lies, truth, ocean, hurt, poetry, beautiful, cruel, perfection, letter, longing

Author

YouoweYoupay
YouoweYoupay

Amman, ..., Jordan



About
"The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms." ~Muriel Rukeyser "There is no one more rebellious or attractive than a person lost in a book." “He allowed himself to be swayed by his con.. more..

Writing
Garden Garden

A Poem by YouoweYoupay



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I dreamt... I dreamt...

A Poem by Frieda P