Consoling Darkness [Part 2]

Consoling Darkness [Part 2]

A Chapter by YouoweYoupay
"

I lightly patted pieces of my body to make sure I was still alive.

"

 

 

I-----I

I-----------I

I-------------------I

 

Chapter (11): Consoling Darkness [Part 2]

 I-------------------I

I-----------I

I-----I

 

 

 

 

I helped her pull up the zipper of her thick blue jacket, reminding her of the unpredictable cold weather.

 

"Jad!" Nara whined, turning away, "I know how to wear a jacket." She said in a forged mature tone, heading to the first passenger seat.

 

I pulled the oddly, sleek handle once then I tried pushing it, frowning nervously. How the f**k was I supposed to open this thing? Adam waited behind me and I appreciated his tongue-restraint from commenting on my failure to open a car door.

 

"Jad, you pull it upwards." Aseel kindly instructed, lowering her gaze again at the exposed motor she worked on.

 

"Oh-Okay, thanks." the shell easily lifted up and I hurriedly bent to sit inside, wincing silently as my head bumped against the frame of the car door.

 

1)      The Metrocle: a family-sized, rusted vehicle designed by Dr. Farfoor to travel wide distances through shorter time, with an advanced GPS system developed to lead to destinations even through the worst weather conditions.

          -------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2) Nara: Besides the vehicle, we had been given a large lunchbox, a few weird equipment, and thick brown robes for the arctic weather beyond borders, but I found their texture itchy so I hurried home across the street to grab a jacket.

 

It was close to sunrise, and I was sure everyone was asleep. I had an extra key, so God forbid I needed to ring the bell or knock or be noticed at all. My mother was comforted by the fact that I spent the night with other magical kids at the doctor's house She had no idea I was leaving town on a crazy journey. Bumping into her would be bothersome.

 

The fireplace was freshly crackling and I froze halfway in the corridor upon seeing my father in a chair in the sitting room. He turned to my direction and frigidly greeted me like he'd always done for the last few months. I came up with a semi-believable excuse for coming home late and I got away with it, because he was in a good mood at the time, probably something reassuring at work. His two bags were already packed for him to leave again this morning. Okay, getting past Pa was easy. The tricky part was not waking up my sister or mother. But luck did not seem to climb the stairs with me that dawn. I stubbed a foot against the stone steps, suppressing a low whimper. It was like that Spongebob Squarepants episode where he was sneaking into Patrick's house and every step he took was a visible noise, even the bending of his knees made a creak as he tried to tiptoe across the room!

 

I gasped, almost falling backwards over the steps at the sight of Nara mending with the dark on top of the stairs. Her little white night gown and sleek black hair falling around her face made her resemble the female ghost from an old horror movie.

 

"What the fu--" I exhaled, cutting off. Careful with the cussing, Jad. It's been unconsciously increasing, "Nara, wha-what are you doing here?" I hissed.

 

She crossed her arms, pelted back similar questions at me, and threatened to wake up our mother if I did not tell her what was going on and where I was going. There were still four days until the end of the spring break, and she was 'bored at home'. I refused to take her. I can't have more children to drag out of town. I had no idea what could jump in our way….I openly counted myself as a child too.

 

"Nara!" I heard Ma's weak voice from her bedroom, "who is that? Is your brother back yet?"

 

Nara smirked at me, her lips almost spilling out a 'yes he is.'

 

She was a neat-freak, a know-it-all, with smooth dark hair that anyone passing by could recognize as her most valuable, pampered possession. She had an interest in botany and would rather receive a rare, sweet-smelling flower as a gift instead of a Barbie dollhouse. She could be bitterly stubborn at times, just like my father was, and she would get her way with things around the house, most of the time.

 

"Alright," I sighed, covering my eyes with the edge of my fingers, "Jus' go get dressed. You have two minutes."

 

"I'll be ready in one!" she beamed, running back to her bedroom.

 

And that's how she ended up in our little adventure group.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

3) Miriam the Dust Siren:

 

 

I was honestly impressed she could identify what feet were for already. Miriam's long legs wobbled as she tried to stay up and away from the floor, her eyes gaping open at mine, small hands under the oversized white male Chemise clutching the frame of the bed.

 

The girl's glances worriedly fell at the twins who crept behind me eyeing her with wordless amusement, like the expression children would have their first time in a zoo, "Don't be scared." I gently told her, "No one's gonna hurt you."

 

Lungs and air and sunlight were a burden. Not only did she seem terrified of our human appearance but of the entire picture around her, away from the consoling darkness of the underwater world.

 

I wondered what it felt like if I were unexpectedly flung into the sea, forced to breathe through gills and move around with a greasy tail.

 

Miriam was a half-child half-fish creature resurrected out of human ashes sprinkled into a lake or a river and turned into a full grown mermaid within 20 months, the screaming sounds it develops can cause catastrophic tremors if she is not eliminated before that time. But Dr. Farfoor was merciful and kind, choosing to capture her and turn her into full human form instead.

 

"You seem to be in a healthy condition, my dear." The doctor smiled at her, turning around at Aseel and me, "You are to take her with you across the borders, and she is to stay at Ebony's Infirmary for Girls."

 

I guess there were special places for children like Miriam to learn the things they never knew. She was a fast learner though, and other than rapidly figuring out what feet were for, Aseel taught her the basics of a human conversation, signaling yes or no, which she applied perfectly just before we began the ride.

 

She wouldn't get into the backseat right after Adam hopped in, "What's wrong, Miriam?" I knew I wasn't going to get a response other than headshake or a nod, but she displayed neither, standing frozen with an uncomfortable facial expression, "Aren't you getting in?" I motioned the open car door. She firmly shook her head. Great.

 

"C'mon, Jad, we're moving." Aseel urged nervously from the half-open glass window of the driver seat. She sounded as if she had never even tried driving the thing.

 

"You're not bad for your first day, nanny, but I'd rather not be hindered. My time is limited." Adam dryly commented from the backseat, Nara laughing loud enough for me to hear, providing the white-haired snob with an audience. I narrowed my eyes and internally cursed, surrendering to my fate as the one who has to sit in the middle.

 

Adam had a cool, unreadable gaze through baby blue eyes that flustered no one in the group except Miriam and me. She always felt uncomfortable around him, and preferred not to sit near him. I was really hoping she'd be the barrier between him and me, but now I must be a few centimeters away from his jasmine scented calm figure, doing my best to avoid his eyes, even when he wasn't even looking my way. How bothersome…

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Let's see…" Aseel mumbled, her grip looking for switches and buttons on the driving panel, "First, he would pull the initiate lever, and then…er," Uh-oh, now I was really starting to question if she ever drove this thing before.

 

"You're guessing how to start the engine?" Adam asked. I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or just really wondering.

 

"No, no!" she nervously said, "I know exactly what I'm doing. Relax." the last word was something only people say in thrillers and action movies right before an explosion scene…

 

Nara smoothly got along with everyone in the car. She smiled at Miriam noting that she was 'shy and cute." She admired Aseel in her formal Shawada school robes and sense of responsibility, and she thought Adam was the 'cool type'. But even with Aseel's kind instructions about our trip, and Nara's loud, excited comments, the car seemed somehow vacant without Rami's lame remarks and reckless twists. He was devastated after Dr. Farfoor banned him from coming with us. Why was he so agitated about it? Wouldn't staying back in town save him headaches?

 

"Oh," Aseel lightly sniggered, "it's a funny story, we were on a mission with Dr. Farfoor once, and we happened to pass by Madam Kamar's lodge on our way back home." So this witch lived in a lodge? Not a floral shack, "She was good friends with Dr. Farfoor and she happened to feel really elevated that she actually granted us an entirely free stay with access to all leisure facilities! We really had fun that day! Everyone knows she could be strangely nice when her good mood dominates."

 

"It's true." Adam confirmed, "Her mood is unpredictable, and the damage she causes depend upon it, similar to her psycho of a sister." So, this new Madam was also smiley and evil? I did not like to imagine what she slaughtered other than animals…

 

"Yeah!" Aseel eagerly agreed sighing in admiration, "She's mystical, with pretty night-black hair and light grey eyes that remind me of the moon! She has a smooth low singing voice and lots of magic. Let's just hope she's in a happy mood once we show up, so that you and Adam could be cured of the chemicals in your blood." And what would happen if she was in a contrasting mood…?

 

Miriam was very meek and she seemed to enjoy gazing at the endless row of evergreen trees along the sides of the free road. She had an angelic pastel face, worried coffee brown eyes, small red lips, and thin long golden hair that looked moist and freshly bathed up-close and smelled like the afternoon sea. Her head was turned away from my direction, but I slightly smiled at her anyway, catching Adam's baby-blue eyes, a moment later, glancing in my direction. It made feel uneasy, and the more I fidgeted and tried not to notice his stares in my marginal vision, the longer his eyes lingered.

 

"Why are you staring at me…?"  I gathered my confidence to ask, not daring to meet his gaze for more than a second.

 

"I'm not staring at you." He coolly answered, "I'm observing your face. You make strange expressions everytime I look at you."

 

"What strange expressions?" I mumbled, quietly blushing.

 

Nara chuckled, turning fully around to the backseat, "I think it's Adam's first time seeing a person with such low self-esteem."

 

"Yes, you might be right." he replied in a brighter tone. Was that a smile I saw in the corners of his lips?

 

"I-I made it!!" Aseel exclaimed, the wheels screeching as she abruptly came to a stop on the right side of the road.

 

We were at the border already? Wow, ten minutes really is a short time. This car was like…ultra fast.

 

"Already?" Nara looked around, but none of us could really make anything of the sheets of fog coating the streets.

 

"I don't see anything." Adam said.

 

"No, no!" Aseel's mouth reeled off words, "I mean we're not there at the borders, but we will be very soon! I can actually drive this thing safely! I was so worried about the first few miles we crossed because of the fog and the snow and-and-but now I'm confident I can lead us all the way!" I could see her winning grin from the mirror above her head. It really was her first time driving the Metrocle. A lump briefly formed in my throat. I lightly patted pieces of my body to make sure I was still alive.

 



© 2011 YouoweYoupay


Author's Note

YouoweYoupay
Okay, now the Metrocle isn't very similar to the image I found, but the closest I could get. It has wheels, it doesn't jus' float. And it was made long ago by Dr.Farfoor, so it's unlikely to look this glossy. Reveiws, comments, and corrections are all welcome. Thanks for reading.

*Image Title: audi shark car design
*by ~kazimdoku
*Link: http://kazimdoku.deviantart.com/art/audi-shark-car-design-111963239?q=boost%3Apopular%20future%20car&qo=5

*Image Title: Mermaid
*by *fanitsafantasy
*Link: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=§ion=&q=mermaid+dark+sea#/d2njzyo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

awesome to see both solid dialogue and great narrative in this piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Awesome chapter. I thoroughly enjoyed taking a ride with everyone and getting to know them a little better. Jad's sister is adorable! Sorry...:) And I simply loved the way you explained the birth and lifespan of the siren. That paragraph was utterly amazing and really intrigued me with its creativity, nothing like that would have ever crossed my mind. It was breathtaking. I think I am really going to like Madam Kamar, a two-sided package who packs a punch. And I'm so happy Adam almost smiled! Just loved it!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very interesting, the pictures are a nice touch.

Posted 13 Years Ago


:) I liked it. It was very interesting and I just loved the pictures you included with the story. It gave an added flare. I can't wait to see more.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Cool right. I luv the part at the beginning where you describe that Spongebob episode.

Posted 13 Years Ago


The chapter brought me in and held my attention. I like Miriam. She is one of many strong characters in this story. You cover a lot of ground in this chapter. I like the pace and the plot slowly opening up. A excellent chapter. Thank you.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

618 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 15, 2011
Last Updated on April 21, 2011
Tags: story, fantasy, magic, teen, young, love, hate, drama, comedy, snow, husky, fiction, adventure


Author

YouoweYoupay
YouoweYoupay

Amman, ..., Jordan



About
"The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms." ~Muriel Rukeyser "There is no one more rebellious or attractive than a person lost in a book." “He allowed himself to be swayed by his con.. more..

Writing
Garden Garden

A Poem by YouoweYoupay



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Damaged Damaged

A Story by TJ


Forgotten Forgotten

A Poem by TJ


The Curse The Curse

A Story by TJ