I am a Believer.

I am a Believer.

A Poem by YouoweYoupay
"

It's just...aweful, I'm speechless.

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It's aweful. I'm speechless while anger and sadness continue to rebel against one another inside of me.

 

I now learned the most terrifying, double-edged word of the twenty-first century.

 

Media.

 

Scrambing beliefs in the evening, swapping them secretly in the night, so that we wake up at sunrise to find our thoughts not only disgifured...but completely washed of any TRUTH...

 

Ladies and gentlemen, I will not be stereotypical or simple-minded. I will not say Media is the product of the devil. I will only say it has become as invisible and significant as the human breath.

 

I will tell you -and you know it- that it is a ghost in the platter of our food, in the droplets of water we quench our thirst with.

 

I will let you see that children of the coming generation are fast learners. They are. Because Twilight, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Spongebob Squarepants, Google, Youtube, Facebook, and Twitter, Dating, or -more commonly but less admitted, 'sex' are the terms they effortlessly learn before learning where rain actually comes from, how to properly multiply numbers, or solve a Calculus equation.

 

I will let you admit and submit to the painful conclusion that morals, values, dignity, and honesty are not only being traded, they are being SOLD for external, superficial, quick-ending, re-generating delights.

 

I'm angered because a story like mine being scribbled in quivering ink would be looked at but would NOT be honestly read, viewed or considered.

 

'You people shouldn't take everything to heart, it's just a joke, where's your sense of humor?' are common comments I read on youtube beneath parodies related to race, belief, or ethnicity.

 

Call me dry-humored. You can point at this article and laugh.

 

But I will NOT shutup about a half-a-million views (and increasing) for a video of a SINGLE guilty-looking middle-aged man being led to prison because of horrid crimes he commited. I will NOT accept it when you point and teach your children: this is how all people of this race is.

 

Ladies and gentelment, before everything, I am a daughter of soil and rain.

I am a young woman. I am a believer in a God that created beauty and misery.

I am a believer in a strong will that decides its master's destiny.

I am a believer in respect, kindness, and faithfullness.

I am a believer in the power of music and oil paint.

I am filled with emotions, knitted to fit the smile along my lips when I see a loved one, the laughter in my voice when a young cat trips,

The tears in misty eyes when my knees are scraped with creased dead skin and blood.

 

I AM a Muslim and the granddaughter of an immigrant from Palastine.

I am NOT forced to be clothed in a degrading, dark tent.

I have uncles, and cousins and friends, they are NOT terrorists. They do NOT beat their wives. I have aunts and sisters and collegues, they are NOT opressed and locked up.

 

Yes, we are simple. We celebrate with feasts. Yes, we dance. We sing.

We love and be loved, and teach our offsprings the colors of the seasons.

We mourn our dead and feel pain for giving them to back to the ground.

 

We are but simple people. We are not oblivious to the holes in our armors. We are not blind to the glaring red ruby eyes of the hungry wolves in our valleys. We live in a nation that needs to be more framed by justice and union. More faith than honey-covered words with little meaning.

 

 We admire the lights, glamour and knowledge of the West, and we cherish and encourage the warmth, humility, and values of the East.

 

We are the Middle. Where the light and heat blaze with pride in the summer and the rain kindly rinses the dust of the dessert in the fall.

 

We have been slumbering for ages. Forgetting the distinguished shades of beauty and strength our ancestors preserved in ruins and books.

 

But now we are awakening. I'm opening my eyes. And the experimental, judgemental syringes and unfamilar scent I will learn to fight, break under the sole of my shoe.

 

I am offended and I have the ability to offend those who released sparks of hate and the threatening flames of a battle.

 

Those people who know, have SEEN what is and what is not.

But still remain insistent on presenting an image they prefer and flavour.

Those people who have the wealth and the artistic methods of categorizing me, my family, my country, and belief in the wrong and in the dark.

 

I do not apporve of them. But they are slightly hissing in the unseen winds so that I cannot identify them.

 

This is for them to witness. And even if they refuse to see their eyes will be turned by force to see. This is my strike back. You have stolen thoughts and have made boundaries and salvaged treasures, and you hope to pour more salt and water into the ocean so that people cannot see and feel.

 

But I am a writer and a poet and these are my words. They can travel and take flight with the immigrant grey doves.

 

Your sword can break and your gunpowder can cease.

But you will not bend or silence the truth in my words.

 

These are my words. This is my belief.

And if I die before the sunlight approves of my existence.

I shall hope believers like I am bow to the sun with honor not humility

and carry my words in palm tree wood and sincerity. 

© 2011 YouoweYoupay


Author's Note

YouoweYoupay
*Image Title: The Light
*By: Zindy
*Link: http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=§ion=&q=light#/dvrsv2

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I agree with your poem. I take my grand kids outside. Show them nature. Allow then to run and laugh. We live in a world control by the media. Need to turn off the TV and the computer. Read a book and take a walk with the kids.
"I am offended and I have the ability to offend those who released sparks of hate and the threatening flames of a battle."
I been to battle. The enemy were just men with direction from man's far away to fight and die. I like the last line of this poem. When will we learn. Need food and medicine to assist the people in need in this world. Not gun and liars create ghost on the media. Than you for the outstanding poem.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Peace. The problem with the media has always been the fact that people let it think for them. It is a raucous and verbose minority that grind the gears of the machine - and we swallow the poison. This is YOUR post so I won't go off on my specific brand of faith - but I agree with your sentiment and I get your frustration. We humans cannot let the media think for us. We have frontal lobes. We need to use them.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is so exquisite- your passionate beliefs are written with elegance and grace. I love your writing, but thus is so powerfully written it is my favorite thus far. You have a strong voice, and it must be heard, to counter the ignorance and apathy in our society. Kudos, my friend.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Verily the pen is mightier than the sword young daughter with the valiant heart. Too many people of the west have never experienced the harshness of this world, the degradation men are capable of handing out to each other and disgustingly even children. The media are controlled by vested interests...owned my men of money and bankers and heads of "mental health" organizations who all have agendas that are not based on the common good, but are sadly based on control and money. These evils are indeed just that! However, there IS good in the world and there are people of good will, there are social personalities 4 for every 1 antisocial. Too much power is in the hands of the antisocial, but there is always hope while those who are aware speak out to decry abuses, work tirelessly to educate those who are ignorant, and fight with personal integrity held more precious than immediate life or body. You are indeed among those (writers, poets, humanitarians, etc) who carry the torch of freedom. You write with an insight and fire that is rare and a beauty which is moving and uplifting. A wise man said that the price of freedom is constant alertness and constant willingness to fight back and there IS no other price. Don't stop fighting and don't relax the vigil or watchfulness. Your beliefs are important and create a way into the future for others who will follow. Bless you.

Posted 12 Years Ago


You writing is always very emotionally and rationally charged, this is why I enjoy reading it. I agree to most parts of this, we are a society that has become controlled by media, technology and fame...but I also believe that we can redeem ourselves. Well written!

Posted 12 Years Ago


such a great peice of writing about life. thank you for posting this!

Posted 12 Years Ago


The Truth being manifest in what is real lays bare the presumption of a lie.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I just about quit watching TV for the same reasons you stated.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

it's true the media does play a huge role in our opinions. Don't we have one individual opinion that isn't based onm something we heard? great write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

these are such huge words, well-worth a million views . . . you are an amazing poets and I am glad that I found my way here

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I agree with your poem. I take my grand kids outside. Show them nature. Allow then to run and laugh. We live in a world control by the media. Need to turn off the TV and the computer. Read a book and take a walk with the kids.
"I am offended and I have the ability to offend those who released sparks of hate and the threatening flames of a battle."
I been to battle. The enemy were just men with direction from man's far away to fight and die. I like the last line of this poem. When will we learn. Need food and medicine to assist the people in need in this world. Not gun and liars create ghost on the media. Than you for the outstanding poem.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

775 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on October 16, 2011
Last Updated on October 17, 2011
Tags: hate, love, war, media, tv, lies, truth, dark, light, fight, battle, society, anger, tears, hope, strength.

Author

YouoweYoupay
YouoweYoupay

Amman, ..., Jordan



About
"The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms." ~Muriel Rukeyser "There is no one more rebellious or attractive than a person lost in a book." “He allowed himself to be swayed by his con.. more..

Writing
Garden Garden

A Poem by YouoweYoupay



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Tango Tango

A Story by Dezaraye