Barn Yard Intervention-Part 1

Barn Yard Intervention-Part 1

A Story by Wesley V Harney

Fredrickson stumbled through the gate to the farm, slipping on mud and who knows what? Leaving small trails of spittle on the path as he headed for the barn. Boy, I should not have drank that much vodka tonight. was it all vodka? I don't remember. Whatever I drank, too much, way too much, I should drink less.
"You shouldn't drink at all!"
 Fredrickson jerked around staring into the eyes of Mary.
"Where did you come from? Wasthn't sthpeaking out loud!"
"The barn, where else and yes your were. We've been waiting for you."
 "What? What do you mean you've been waiting for me?"
 Mary nudged him towards the barn. Fredrickson tried to fight it but Mary was a bit stronger than him and she wasn't wasted.
 "Move it along, lets go."
 This time her nudge was less gentle, less motherly. Half pushing have holding Fredrickson up Mary lead him to the barn where everyone was waiting. Larry was resting on a bail of hay staring out the door, thinking of his next meal, desperatley wanting to go back to sleep. Henry was flirting with Lola, trying his luck with poetry. She only pretended not to be affected but honestly being compared to the beauty of a the moon and the scent of newly cut alphalfa was begining to be hard to ignore. Henry really knew the way into a girls heart. Samson had flopped down in the corner of the barn, leaning against the back wall, not caring that years of wear and tear were rubbing off into his hair.

"Whatsth going on?" Fredrickson demanded.
 From his perspective the gathering was quite ominous. "What isth thisth? An intervenshion? Come on guysh itsh not that bad!"
 Using the wall to stable his steps he headed for his stall, one fluffy hoof in front of the other, which really was two fluffy hoofs at a time in the seperate directions.
"No you don't!" Samson yelped sprinting from his corner and coming to a halt all four golden paws placed widley apart and letting out a short warning growl. Fredrickson stopped, tipped, wobbled and finally found his balance. Tossing his head he caught the glint of Henry's horn, an incentive to stay put. Mary plodded up behind him, trapping Fredrikson. Larry only growned and stuck a portly hoof under his chin. Slightly upset at loosing her admirer Lola sighed deeply sending the chickens sprawling for cover.
 "That's exactly what this is Fredrickson" purred Cherise "We are tired of you stumbling in here late at night, disrupting our sleep."
 "SPILLING MY TROUGH!" Blurted Larry, betraying his lack of interest for quite the opposite. "Thank you Larry." Continued the tabby, "We are sick of you hurting yourself and us. It's time you realized what you are doing and bring it too a 'whoah', you understand me?"

Fredrickson dipped his head, the dirt flying up into his face as he let out an exasperated sight. "We're serious Freddy, it's not doing you any good" Mary leaned in trying to console him.
"Don't call him 'Freddy' like he's some pet! Lard butt is what he should be called" Larry grunted. "That's enough out of you! Fredrickson does not need to be insulted, we are trying to help him" hissed Cherise raising her back in anger. His pride hurt, Larry buried his head in the hay.
"Now Fredrickson, why do you drink?" Until now Fredrickson had never really thought about it, his father had always said to be proud of what you do and as an icon for alcohol it only seemed natural to experiment. But he had noticed that his drinking had gotten out of hand, that it was no longer pride that pushed him to drink but lonliness. Ever since Sandra, his wife, had gone to the great farm in the sky he hadn't felt alive. In fact he felt like hay mashed under to many hoofs. Shaking his huge head he stared at Cherise, "Not a clue."

© 2010 Wesley V Harney


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That was great. loved reading it.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
1 Review
Added on April 7, 2010
Last Updated on April 7, 2010

Author

Wesley V Harney
Wesley V Harney

Hagerstown, MD



About
My name is Wesley, duh. I was born and raised in Senegal, spent a little time in the army and now I am living in Maryland working in a book store of all places. Write because I am drawn to it, I canno.. more..

Writing