Copper; The B*****d Dog

Copper; The B*****d Dog

A Story by Enigma

            Vacation was one thing, but traveling all the way to the place I used to dread most was crazy… I packed my things as usually, saying farewell to my dog Copper and discussing a few things outside with some business partners as I ventured to my car… But in the process of doing all this I had forgotten my watch.

Stupid right? Yeah I forgot my watch. It was sacred in my line of business and I couldn’t function without it these days… Not to mention it was a Rolex. “S**t… that damn dog better not have touched it.” I muttered, slowly escaping the comfort of my car.

 

            Vacation as it is wasn’t something I wanted. I enjoyed my new house, it was large and exactly how I had wanted it. So why leave? I had no idea… I didn’t even know where I was going at first. Stumbling inside to fetch my watch I found Copper smuggling it deep underneath my bed in my room. Kicking out boxes and old papers as he shuffled further against the wall.

            “Damn dog... Get over here!” I shouted, already irritated as it was. He let out a short scoffed sort of whimper, his tail swaying eagerly yet shaking in fear. I had already threatened him last time he had done this, so I’m sure he remembered.

            Edging myself further underneath my bed I was soon struck with a small box. Cursing underneath my breath I dragged myself out and held the box, scowling. Chucking the box on top of the covers I heaved, stretching my arms outwards and grabbed Coppers large legs, tugging him into the open. He whimpered and yelped, dropping my watch. Clearly afraid of what I had in mind… But I sighed and slowly patted his head, knowing he didn’t mean any harm. After all he was a pitiful mutt. This of course, surprised him to say the least.

 

            To my bed I ventured, Copper slobbering along my forehead as I grunted, clasping the watch to my wrist. The box he had managed to throw at me lay against my arm, covering the tattoo I had gotten a few years back… It was tasteful mind you, but nevertheless still a tattoo which some in society frowned upon… I didn’t care.

            I looked over the old jagged covering, the small gashes and marks that looked to be pencil which I figured were from the long endless days of being locked within my room. Upon opening the box I stared, a mixture of thoughts flooding into my mind all at once, throbbing to escape through my eyes but I refused to let them.

            I slowly lifted a small golden cross from the box, starting hard at the gem that was placed in the middle of a cross, small angelic wings thus surrounding it as a whole to keep it tight and compacted. It was the necklace I was given by my mother, that formerly belonged to my father who wasn’t in the picture most of my life. I had adored the man, he was good and fair but heavily troubled… this I knew. I guess I didn’t care enough to get all emotional as anyone else my age without a dad, but I tried to look past it.  Having to deal with my mother at the time was enough…

            I sighed and grasped the necklaces tightly, slowly placing it around my neck. All was quiet in my house. Copper had hushed himself, nothing was on or stirring… Nothing. It was just me and space to think. Of what? I hadn’t a clue.. so I just sat in the cold dead silence.

            Then I heard the small ticks of my Rolex. Knowing time had always been one to interrupt moments I heaved myself to a standing position and stretched, grabbing my coat. I had to get going or else every Hotel would be closed by the time day one of my crazed adventure ended. Collecting myself once again I scowled looking towards Copper. He was the one who had put me in this brief nostalgic state. The one state I dreaded most.

            “Copper dear… Get. Down” I said with that I’m-Serious-You-Better-Do-This-Or-Else- tone. He whimpered and shuffled slightly, lolling his tongue and shielding himself underneath my covers. Growing more cross I huffed and patted his blocked head. He was a handful to say the least.. but he kept me going I supposed.

 

            So once again, I was on my way after a short period of madness and mixed-matched events. To where was the question… What was I going to do? Mandatory vacation, was the reason but a destination was lacking. I smoothed my fair dark golden locks back and started at the steering wheel, the car purring. I squeezed my hands together and waited.

            I  waited long and hard for some sort of dementedly twisted idea to come to mind. I could do anything I wanted, being of twenty three I had the world in my hands…

            Nothing.

            Absolutely nothing came to mind.

            Leaving me completely pissed I screamed to myself, throwing my arms up and groaning, shaking my entire car. There was one thing in mind… The one place I had never wanted to revisit because it just wasn’t necessary. It was a fair distance but I could make it their within a day or two of driving. Though every time I went I felt worthless…

            My brother, he was dastardly, handsome and very well put for a man of his age. Married, two children and a dog… Typical family life so it seemed. He wasn’t as rich as I but he was far happier than I’d ever be in my lifetime. He would give perfect advice, even make my heart ache whenever I saw his face… But I felt I needed to go see him. I was in the mood for a new view of life and he’d be the one to give it to me.

            Pulling out of my driveway I was on my way finally, delayed by at least an hour, I was off… My brother’s house was the destination I had set. I was always happy there, but I couldn’t mentally make myself happy because only one thing pushed through my mind… It was because of Copper I was like this.

            It was because of a stupid dog, I missed her.

 

© 2013 Enigma


Author's Note

Enigma
Whelp. Short notice story.. Definitely gonna be revised or something in the future.. Eh?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
Added on January 2, 2013
Last Updated on January 2, 2013
Tags: Experimental, Two-Toned, Dog, Violence, Awkward, New, Questions, Dark, Open, Narrative

Author

Enigma
Enigma

SC



About
I was never meant to be, so why am I still here? more..

Writing
Tea Tea

A Poem by Enigma


Locked Locked

A Poem by Enigma