It Takes An End To Find A Begining

It Takes An End To Find A Begining

A Story by Enigma

A slip, *trip*, or fall down the famous rabbit hole could easily send a person to the end of the earth and back within seconds of realising they took the wrong step.  Their brains become clogged and jumbled with sick feelings of immunity; their body’s absorbing everything their seemingly endless flight has to offer, taking it all in without looking back. They know they’re bound to die but don’t know when, or how… So they stop thinking about when, or how and just wait happily.

            Until they wake up, sore and scared. They survived the fall into this malicious rabbit hole. Nothing but silence and insecurities filled their brains because now they really don’t know what to expect. After falling for so long, waking up wasn’t something they prepared for. So they dust off the dirt that stained their clothes with a strong sense of shame. They’re ashamed of what they got themselves into. Climbing back up was impossible. Ten, Hundreds, Thousands… Thousands of feet down they were. The walls sleek and too weak for even the most agile person to climb back up. So they just stared down the dark black hall and weighed their options, tears streaking down their face. Tears filled with nothing but regret.

            Taking that first step was always the hardest they said… walking into the deep unknown, hoping to find a way out in the process. That’s why people deal with such hardships right? Then why was it so hard to take this one… Maybe because they had finally found the perfect escape, only to be told their escape was false. So if their escape’s false, they tell themselves they’re left with nothing but hell.

            Right…? At least that’s what I was told… Anyway, they continue on, one slow step at a time into this dark hallway, until they hear voices. Happy voices chatting about politics and other problems like it was nothing. Without thinking they run forwards, this dark hole not seeming so dark because there’s hope at the end of it. They run hopelessly feeling nothing but deep, twisted hope that their escapade with end.

            But it doesn’t. It only gets scarier because as they run, the voices never get any louder. In fact, they seem more distant than before… as if they’re not even there anymore. Suddenly their heart sinks because they face the sick realization that the voices were never there to begin with. It was all in their head. The fear and worry had gotten to them so bad they imagined their own escape and wanted to taste the real world so badly again they created their own personal hell of an illusion.

            Broken they begin to sob. What else can they do? They cry, and cry… eventually crying some more… but they keep walking. They keep walking because there has to be an end to their demise right? It just has to be. The tears are only helping them get there. As they walk they think about what led them to the rabbit hole. A horrible day, a bad encounter with a scheming friend, and one lowly step they thought would get them to the day.

           

            Regret, shame, hatred, longing and worst of all, sadness was the only thing there were going to find on their endless journey until eventually they quit trying… Though I guess you could say they never stopped trying from the start.

            Trying to get away from the only sadness they knew.

© 2014 Enigma


Author's Note

Enigma
Welp. I tried my hardest. That's all I can really say.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A wonderful personal twist on a classic tale. I love how you incorporated this story into your own. Absolutely amazing!

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

304 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 25, 2013
Last Updated on January 25, 2014
Tags: Deep, Emotional, Sad, Trippy, Drugs, Nothing, Random, Life, Death, Hope, Wishes, Dreams, Surreal, New Begingins, Heartfelt, Depressing, Confusing, New, Recent, Modern, Bullying, Wrong Decisions, Story, Short, Rabbit

Author

Enigma
Enigma

SC



About
I was never meant to be, so why am I still here? more..

Writing
Tea Tea

A Poem by Enigma


Locked Locked

A Poem by Enigma