The Lunch Date

The Lunch Date

A Story by WhiteWillow

“The difference is, I lie for a reason.”

Ali’s words were clear and concise, cutting through the lunch hour chatter like a stainless steel blade.

Robert looked into her face, void of emotion; he studied her as if she was some unknown exotic species being encountered for the first time.

She continued to stare him down, silent and unwavering.

“What are you talking about? Lies? What lies?” Ali’s behavior over the past couple of weeks had been erratic at best. Pleasant conversations took sudden detours into dark places, ending in soliloquies of a brooding nature. Hours later, her jovial attitude made the earlier encounter seem like a fleeting nightmare one couldn’t quite remember upon waking. Robert was aware that hormonal shifts could be more pronounced as women aged, but this was bordering on bipolar.

“Your entire life is built on lies,” she snapped. “I thought it was a harmless game at first, watching you manipulate others by telling them what they want to hear: your friends, your colleges, your employees.  You lie like you breathe: effortlessly.”

“Why are you�"“

“Let me finish,” she interrupted. Another pause. “I have been with you for three years. I had so much hope for the future. I fed off your passion; it was a drug to me. But now I see you for who you really are. A bully who preys on everyone who crosses his path. Including me."

Every sentence, every word was cold and robotic. The lack of emotion was more disturbing to Robert than the words themselves. He had a thick skin, he had to given the nature of his business. But dealing with the shell of a person whom he knew intimately was something otherworldly.

Ali sat perfectly still, unblinking, waiting for Robert to respond. His confusion and concern quickly turned to annoyance as he sat back in his chair and crossed his arms.

“Look, Ali, I don’t know what’s got your panties in a wad. But I’m tired of your irrational accusations.” Robert pushed his chair back from the table and rose to his feet. “This conversation is over.”

Ali reached into her purse and produced a candy bar-sized item in a pink and white metallic wrapper.

“Perhaps I wasn’t being clear.” She slid the item across the table, glaring at him the entire time.

Robert reached down, picked it up and pulled back the already opened wrapper to see what was inside.

“I wasn’t implying that I’m perfect and you’re not. What I’m saying is, you lie casually. It’s your way of life. I, on the other hand, lie...but for different reasons. Big reasons. Like the one you’re holding in your hand.”

Ali smirked, showing the first sign of human emotion as the gravity of the situation was realized in Robert’s expression.

“I lie to Alan all the time,” Ali said. “I tell my husband it’s okay that he’s unemployed, and that I understand he’s looking really hard for a job. I also lie and say it doesn’t bother me that he has a low sperm count, and that we can’t have children. I smile and pretend that it’s all okay, because, what choice do I have?”

Robert stood like a statue now, white as alabaster.

“I lie and tell Alan, ‘It’s a miracle! We are finally going to have a child together!’ Well, we ARE going to have a child together. It’s just not his.”

Ali slowly stood up, both fists on the table supporting her weight as she leaned into Robert, still smirking.

“You have used people your whole life to get what you want. Now its my turn to get what I want:  The child I could never have, the family I’ve always dreamed of...with a promotion and salary comfortable enough to support the three of us. I’m sure that can be arranged. Right, Senator?”

Ali smiled as Robert stood speechless.

“Like I said, we all lie. The difference is, I lie for a reason.”

© 2015 WhiteWillow


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
Added on November 20, 2015
Last Updated on November 20, 2015

Author

WhiteWillow
WhiteWillow

About
I'm just someone who enjoys writing. Its a great creative outlet, and I love challenging myself to write something better. Being among others who share in this joy is inspirational. more..

Writing