Prolouge

Prolouge

A Chapter by Skye Manson

Prophesy of the Mage

Every three centuries a child is born

                Who has powers beyond the mortal man

                                                                                    Given by the gods to make a decision

               Their true identity unknown to even themselves

                                              Only the birthparents know their destiny

              The coming of age will reveal the truth

                                             Through a sword with a blue sapphire

              Then they will decide the next turn life will take.

 

Prologue

Night fell on Malwe like a cold blanket. The stars were the only light during the night of the new moon and even then, it was cloudy. However, while the village slept, a small house on the very edge of the town next to the forest was still wide-awake.

          The village doctor and a man holding a two-year-old child were gathered around a woman lying down on the bed. Her gentle, beautiful face was contorted with pain. Sweat rolled from her face giving it a glowing effect in the flickering candle light. She was about to give birth. The doctor kept telling her to push. She would have replied in a very unwomanly fashion had she been able to donate enough breath long enough to talk. The man held the two year child in one hand and his wife’s in the other. He winced in pain as his wife crushed his hand but never let his smile fall from his face. Finally, the deep breathing and constant pushing were covered but the cries of a newborn child.

          “It’s a boy!” cried the doctor as cut the umbilical cord. The woman smiled, the father laughed, and the two year old started crying from all the laughing and crying going around. Eventually, the father had to remove the two year old because he started biting, hitting, and pulling at him. The doctor said the baby was healthy and stayed for another hour before joining the sleeping village. Meanwhile, the man and the woman smiled upon the newest addition to their family.

          “He has your eyes.” the woman said.

          “I know.” the man replied happily.

          “What will we call him?”

          “I’m not sure. We’ll figure something out, right?”

          “Yes.” the woman said softly as if only talking to the boy.

          They stayed like this, unspeaking, as they watched the infant wiggle in his sleep. Without warning the candle went out and they looked around frightened. At the end of the bed stood the dark outline of a person. The black image looked as if darker living shadows branching off of it.

          “I come bringing news you will not like but can not be altered.” A woman’s voice said in a ghostly whisper that echoed through the room. “Your child has been chosen to fulfill an important and dangerous duty. He is the next Mage. Being so, he must make a decision. His choice will decide the fate of the world. It is all in his hands. He and all others will know nothing of his true identity if you wish him to survive.” she finished. 

          “But-" the woman started but never finished because a second later the figure disappeared as the candle light brought its flickering light back to the room and the world it seemed. Disturbed, the woman and man stared into each other's eyes looking for an answer but only finding sadness.

 

Seventeen years have passed.

                  

 

 

 



© 2009 Skye Manson


Author's Note

Skye Manson
tell me what you think; note any grammar problems; note ways you think I could improve

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

it's very interesting so far, flows good, good descriptions Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


It's good so far, I'll let you know what I really think after reading the other two chapters.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow great start indeed and creative ^_^

Posted 15 Years Ago


awesome! the Prophesy sounded real wide-awake

~The village doctor and a man holding a two year old child were gathered around a woman lying down obviously in pain--> two-year-old

~The village doctor and a man holding a two year old child were gathered around a woman lying down obviously in pain. Her gentle, beautiful face was contorted with pain.--> maybe you could get rid of the first sentence mentioning she was in pain since the 2nd sentence did that. "the village doctor and a man holding a two-year-old child gathered around a woman lying on the ground. The woman's gentle, beautiful face was contorted with pain"....get it?

~The man held the two year child in one hand and his wife's in the other. --> i wouldnt mention that the child was two-years-old since you already did that, and the man is holding the wifes what? in the other? lol

~He winced in pain as his wife crushed his hand but never let his smile fall from his face.Finally, --> space between face.finially

~the deep breathing and constant pushing were covered but the cries of a newborn child. --> but should be by

~"It's a boy!" cried the doctor as he found out the news himself and cut the umbilical cord. --> maybe that should be "It's a boy!" cried the doctor as he cut the umbilical cord." ???

~Without warning the candle went out and they looked around frightened. --> comma after warning

~shouldnt mage be capital?

~"But-"the woman started but never finished because a second later --> the " is attached to the the and not but. (just so you know)

~into each others eyes looking for an answer but only finding sadness.--> other's




other then those errors this was a great begining to a story. I will deffinitly read chapter one and any other chapters you have in this book

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 14, 2009
Last Updated on April 17, 2009


Author

Skye Manson
Skye Manson

VA



About
I'm more of the reader type than the writer, but I still like to write (just not that often). I'm not much for writing poetry but I'll read it any day. I love fantasy and Sci-fi. Here are some ra.. more..

Writing
Lost Lost

A Poem by Skye Manson



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..