Ocean inside of us

Ocean inside of us

A Story by Mariya Talalayevska
"

A small essay full of feelings

"

Human is inextricably linked with society, politics and economics, being an integral part of a society and living inside of a certain environment bringing something of his/her own in it. With the development of technologies people become more united with the world by being aware of everything that is happening and participating in it. Even though, civilization goes ahead just leaving memories of difficulties of past life behind, like a wave leaves intricate patterns on the send, clashing of cultures still occurs because of different ideas and political views.

I am a proud Ukrainian; therefore talking about my country’s situation is my bailiwick. Vacillated state of my country hurts my heart, especially when I’m so far away. It is my belief that what I go through now will help me become a bolster for my country, to be able to lend a helping hand to my nation. But every time I see news reports about new deaths I lose my heart. These young souls, stars, who were just on their way to ascend to the firmament, let ensanguined poppies grow through their hearts. This war has sown too many poppies… Wake up! It’s the XXI century! My country is involved in a war and I’m not afraid to say this word. Yes, it is bitter, ruthless and frightful, but this is a harsh truth. And I know this better than anybody else, because my father served in a military service in the zone of conflict twice so far. Thus the explosions, deaths and tears of mothers, who have lost their sons, are too vivid in my imagination.

Everything has started two years ago and will continue. It has gone too far. Fussy politicians try to give people the soil to believe in the verisimilitude of their words. They clearly understand, that Ukrainians are the freedom-loving, strong and unbreakable nation. Politicians are scared of the power which people hold in their hands, because they have already seen millions of Ukrainians in Kyiv during the Revolution of Dignity, who clearly showed what they want and stood together as a huge adamant family, a gigantic wave.

Ukraine have never been a rich country, even though the history shows its great influence on the whole world, teaching it how to use cutlery, to purify the sea water from salt; giving humanity such inventions as gas lamp, X-rays, TV… When did we start losing ourselves? That’s definitely an inhibiting influence of the Moscow Empire and after that the Soviet Union. Deficit, bribery and the value of relations were breaking our development as a democratic country. Exorbitant prices, huge taxes and the obligation to pay for everything in our lives made us possessive and forced to live in austerity. Constraining quickly becomes a habit, because economy needs casualties. Thus, many Ukrainian teenagers start working early just to help their parents financially at least a little bit. A lack of means in our eyes becomes a lesson of savings and earning money. The spirit of the Soviet Union’s legacy still hovers among the older generation of Ukrainians, but finally it is losing itself, while our self-identity as a proud Ukrainian nation grows with every day.

I know who I am and I know that I’m not a part of a flock. I’m not going to bring the young lambs to the tribute for war. And my task is to let my compatriots see that as clearly. I’m a leader, a believer and an ambassador of my country in the U.S. gaining new experience of social interaction that will be useful back in Ukraine. I need to understand the world, not only my country to make changes. Because I’m not only Ukrainian, I’m a Terran too.

Every cloud has a silver lining, and these events let us, Ukrainians, see who we are and love our country with new forces, which came out from the depth of our hearts. When they became bereft of propaganda chains fettering them, they turned into the waves of rejoicing sweeping our self-awareness. We became stronger, we see more clearly than ever before and we are not going to give up. No way! My nation now understands that each Ukrainian is not a small dot inside of the ocean, as we used to think before. Now we see that we are the ocean.

© 2015 Mariya Talalayevska


Author's Note

Mariya Talalayevska
If there are any grammar problems, please, tell me, so I will be able to improve my English skills, as I am not a native English speaker. Thank you for reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on November 3, 2015
Last Updated on November 3, 2015
Tags: Essay, Ukraine, Politics, International, War