Neal

Neal

A Story by Will
"

A young man struggles with his identity

"
Neal was gay. He knew it, his best friend Sarah knew it, and everyone else didn't. Not even Neal's mother knew. But Sarah did.

Neal had known Sarah since they were 5. When sixth grade came around, and Neal realized who he was and who he was attracted to, Sarah was the first person he told; he told her everything, and vice versa. They were freshmen in high school now, and today had been the first day of classes.

In all of their classes and in homeroom, students were seated in alphabetical order. Thank God Sarah's last name is Carter, thought Neal, as his last name was Cartman; he would sit right behind her.

But that wasn't the problem; the boy behind Neal was the problem. Meet Steve Darling.

Steve Darling was known as the nastiest kid in the neighborhood since third grade. He "accidentally" knocked a kid down the stairs that year, and he had gotten worse since. Now, he stood at 6'1", tallest in the class, and acted like he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Neal had begun to wonder how he could come out appropriately. He didn't want any awkwardness to arise in his class, so he began researching stories of how others had come out. He was reading a story online about one person's self-titled "coming out party," when Neal was alarmed by a sudden laugh right in his ear.

"Dude, you're gay?" sneered Darling, practically spitting the words at Neal, "What the f**k?"

"Please, Steve, please," Neal begged, "Don't tell anyone! Please!?!"

Darling answered "Tomorrow morning: a hundred bucks, or everyone finds out."

The bell rang, and everyone shuffled off to class. Neal ran to the bathroom to vomit.

Neal went the rest of his day feeling sick. More than once, Sarah had to turn around and poke him with a pencil to make sure he was ok. He was really a nervous wreck.

Mercifully, the 2:30 bell rang, and Neal bolted home, not even thinking to wait for Sarah. He got home, and made a beeline to his bedroom. He threw his face into his pillow and cried. What was he going to do?

Neal sat, alone, on his bed, and pondered what to do. After hours of internal deliberation, Neal decided tomorrow was the day.

He walked into the cafeteria in the morning, over to the area where his class sat. He saw Sarah seated in a corner, giving him a wary look. He returned it with a smile, reassuring her that everything was ok.

Suddenly, a hand gripped Neal's shoulder from behind.

"Got something for me, f****t?" Neal could feel Darling's slimy breath on his neck.

He turned to face this ruffian that stood over him. Neal looked him in the eye, and said "I'm gay."

Darling was stunned, "What'd you say, fairy?"

Louder this time, enough for everyone to hear, Neal answered "I'm gay."

People began to look over, and Darling snickered, "I can't hear you, princess!"

At last, Neal exclaimed, loud enough for the whole room to hear, "I'm gay!"

Darling burst out laughing. He couldn't believe that he had gotten Neal to embarrass himself that way! "Way to go, twinkletoes!"

Neal was red-faced and angry. Suddenly, he felt an arm intertwine with his right arm; it was Sarah. Another arm locked around his left; it was Paul, a classmate.

Suddenly, the entirety of Neal's class stood up from their tables, and locked arms. They all stood, facing down Darling. Neal couldn't hold back a laugh.

Darling was stunned.

Neal was out.

The world was at peace.

© 2013 Will


Author's Note

Will
This one is dedicated to a close friend of mine, as well as the entire LGBT community. May they find the courage to stand up to Steve Darlings everywhere.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I hate it when people are bullied because they're gay..If they don't like it then that's fine for them they don't have to be gay nobody's forcing them into it....This is good.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Will

11 Years Ago

I definitely feel the same way. I like to paint somewhat real pictures through my writing, and I fee.. read more
If this isn't about me or Isaac, I don't know what it could be.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Will

11 Years Ago

Ha! Inspired by the latter though, not based on. Just something that came to me
I enjoyed this. Thank you for sharing. When my ex best friend came out gay, he struggled a lot. and was bulllied.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Careline

11 Years Ago

:)
Britt

11 Years Ago

:]
Will

11 Years Ago

Well I'm pleased my writing can spark interactions between people. Thanks for reading!
Nice story. :) I wish everyone just accepted others for who they are. (:

Posted 11 Years Ago


Will

11 Years Ago

Life would be so much better and simpler, wouldn't it?
why the name darling? thats all that confused me but other than that it was good.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Will

11 Years Ago

Finally someone asks! I did it on purpose, irony for the sake of irony. Thanks for noticing!
XxYoung.WriterxX

11 Years Ago

(: your welcome lol
To stand by what you are and a beautiful message of peace. I look up to you with lot of respect. Great work!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Will

11 Years Ago

That means alot, thank you!
Mary Christabel George

11 Years Ago

Welcome Will....!
Great story! Wouldn't everything be so sweet if everyone could just get along!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Great story, have you every read the short story "I Am Blue" ? :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


If only the world was indeed at peace. Great write!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Will

11 Years Ago

If only... In this piece, at least Neal's world was at peace. Thanks for reading!
this is the first "story" i have reviewed... so kudos to you!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Will

11 Years Ago

Im honored. Thank you very much!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

435 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 9, 2013
Last Updated on June 2, 2013
Tags: Identity, struggle, homosexuality, acceptance, gay, pride, coming out, bully, brave, strength

Author

Will
Will

Brooklyn, NY



About
Well now that I have the patience, I'll actually write something here. I'm Will, and I'm 16 years old going on 17 , born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. I write what appeals to me. I just love writ.. more..

Writing
Indecision Indecision

A Poem by Will


Dead of Night Dead of Night

A Poem by Will


Does he know? Does he know?

A Poem by Will



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


DOPING DOPING

A Poem by Baby Ricochet