Day 21

Day 21

A Chapter by Willem Gray

Day 21

What can mere men do against such reckless hate?

I don’t get angry often, and when I do, I never take it out on anyone, because I know it won’t solve anything.

My university was closed today for the fourth time in three weeks because of protesters. They wish for the Afrikaans language, my language, to no longer be a language of teaching in the university.

That’s my culture they wish to destroy, but I understand. To them it is a remnant of the Apartheid era and they do not like that the white kids, who speak Afrikaans, can get taught in their own language while they are unable to receive the same treatment.

Now many people, including myself, have chosen to be taught in English even though our home language is indeed, Afrikaans. So from an objective standpoint, their protest, while it can be construed as unconstitutional by many Afrikaans speaking individuals, has validity. While I would rather they add new languages of teaching to the university, to help those who struggle with English, rather than take away from the universities culture, I cannot blame them for wanting to do something about what may seem, to many, as an unfair situation.  

However, I cannot understand the fact that almost all of the protesters are neither enrolled, or plan to enroll in the university. I cannot understand that they would disrupt classes by injuring security guards and lecturers and by throwing rocks at white students, whether they speak Afrikaans or not. I cannot understand how they would push and shove any pupil who tries to reason with them. I cannot understand the “kill all whites” T-shirts that seem to be gaining popularity. I cannot understand that all of my friends, light skinned and dark skinned, having to give up their education so that a bunch of violent barbarians can promote their political party’s ideals in the most senseless way possible.

I don’t know what to do. All I know is that I will not bow to a protest that is executed in such a violent way. I will not see this country go backwards. Even if it means we as students must stand together and face them.

We will get our education, all of us, in whatever language.



© 2016 Willem Gray


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on February 22, 2016
Last Updated on March 27, 2016
Tags: university, politics, protests, anger, education


Author

Willem Gray
Willem Gray

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa



About
Hello! more..

Writing
Silicon Silicon

A Poem by Willem Gray