"Because you're a poet, that's why"

"Because you're a poet, that's why"

A Poem by willweb

` Behind the thick crimson and gold thread curtains he stands listening to the din of the audience searching their seats for popcorn crumbs while roaming hands brush against the legs of those sitting closest The young girls get the winks and free drinks as the old men vie for position, straightening their hair and flashing thick wallets from stretched out back pockets He peeks through the slit in the fancy brocade drapes to find a full house, everyone is here, the self imposed mayor wearing a handmade campaign button shakes hands and seeks signatures Mrs. Broadmore assigns seats in her row as the little people gather around, telling her how beautiful she is while hoping for a glimpse of the diamond crusted gin filled flask she keeps tucked away in her left garter The lights dim as the depressed sulk to their seats in the balcony, broken hearts fill the back rows closest to the bar, cheerleaders in pink lipstick and short skirts, the football team all stoned out of their minds and the debate club collect in the center while the pretty people, the wealthy pose in the front rows He gets the signal as the curtain slowly lifts to the ceiling on well oiled pulleys There is not a sound as he makes his way to the microphone at center stage, dead silence but he reads his poem anyway It is obvious he is no Leonard Cohen but he does his best as he recites the verses he has penned especially for this evening Upon finishing he stares out as two people clap their approval and the others whisper and look away His shoulders drop as he leaves the stage, head hung low, crumbling the paper he had read from and tossing it in the trash as he wonders aloud, “Why, why do I do it?” A janitor sweeping near the exit door hears him and shaking his head replies, “Because you’re a poet, that’s why”

© 2021 willweb


Author's Note

willweb
It is April...poetry month.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, wonderful detail and imagery in your words, This is such a wonderful story here.
Simply amazing!

Posted 1 Year Ago


willweb

1 Year Ago

Just kind of seeing things through a different poetic lens. Thank you for stopping by to read.
such detail, you're a great storyteller, I loved it.
cheerio carola

Posted 1 Year Ago


willweb

1 Year Ago

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed one of my free verse poems. This one was fun to write.
Hello, Willweb! :)
You've written a vivid scene here, given everyone personality, and abused your poet. Haha
I enjoy irony, and this one is brutal. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 2 Years Ago


willweb

2 Years Ago

Thanks again for your visit and nice comment
Because I've got something worth saying damn it! Haha and I don't care if you hear it or not, I said it and I heard it.

Posted 2 Years Ago


willweb

2 Years Ago

That's right!! Thanks for stopping by.
Why do we write? Because we are compelled to write and suffer for it too. Your poem reminded me of when I ventured to the monthly poetry meeting at the arts centre in my town. The first time I read one of my poems out, I became an actress :)) If it had been me on that stage, I wouldn't have been able to do it. Pleased to say, I went to quite a few sessions before giving up.

Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago


willweb

2 Years Ago

That's very cool. You never know until you try and if you become an actress in the process, then so .. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
What a description... I was reading it as if I were there! You described the hopelessness so beautifully. Yes poets get less recognition and more so in today's time. I have many friends who always asks me why do I write poetry... Why not prose in the form of book.poet try to romantacise many things which were sometimes not taken very seriously... And it's a bit frustrating. It's a very appealing write...

Posted 2 Years Ago


willweb

2 Years Ago

Thanks so much Dreamer. I am happy you stopped by and enjoyed this so much. It was fun to write know.. read more
even if we just get scoffs and heads turning away...we need to write and we need to share what we write.
And I guess a bad reaction is better than no reaction at all.
I remember once my mom reading one of my books. As she finished, she set it down and said "This is awful, I don't understand a word of it"---
Inside my head I silently said "Thanks for the Encouragement" and then just kept on writing.
j.

Posted 2 Years Ago


willweb

2 Years Ago

So true and that is why we do it. Tough deal with your mom and your book but hey, mothers are tough .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 1, 2021
Last Updated on April 1, 2021

Author

willweb
willweb

TX



About
Hi, I am willweb. Maybe you remember me and maybe you don't. I have been writing here on and off for years. I pop in and write and read and comment and make friends and learn new things. I enjoy maki.. more..

Writing
Cupid's Bow Cupid's Bow

A Poem by willweb