Alone on the sea

Alone on the sea

A Story by willweb

Desperate and alone I cling to my makeshift raft with all of the strength my weakened body can muster. The sun, once my friend is now a fierce and foreboding enemy. Glaring relentlessly overhead, heaven's great orb of fire which is often looked upon to bring life, is now quickly causing mine to evaporate, rapidly dissipating into its searing rays of death. Alone on the sea, this massive body of water that surrounds me, engulfs me. It tosses about my raft as if laughing at my situation, waiting patiently for me to become its next meal. Minutes seem like hours and hours feel like days as I have no food or water to sustain life. Not a cloud hovers above to perhaps bring a shower so that I may partake of its sweet and refreshing moisture and not a single fish have I seen which might satisfy my raging appetite.

 

My mind becoming delusional now, finds objects that seem so real but do not exist. On the horizon, a large vessel which once appeared to be sailing towards me is nothing more than a distant wave teasing my thoughts, my hopes and my dreams of somehow surviving this ordeal. I do not know how much more of this I can take as I feel I am slipping away, losing myself in the vast dark abyss. I float in and out of consciousness, finally coming to the realization that the end is very near.

 

It is now that an angel appears to me, her silhouette moving nearer. She floats so gracefully above me, golden hair blowing in the breeze. This must be it, the end has come. "Oh speak to me angel. Tell me what is to become of me," I cry.

 

Then her voice calls out my name, "Will."

 

It is clear as anything this lonely castaway of desperation could understand. The sound brings my mind back to reality, as suddenly the severity of my predicament is once again revealed. My time is up, no matter how much I plead, this is it, the end.

 

"Time to get out of the pool now; lunch is ready."

 

"Aw mom, do I have too?"

© 2023 willweb


Author's Note

willweb
Just a change of pace

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The twist at the end was completely unexpected. II usually struggle with enjoying present tense; they are so often not well crafted that they just come off as clunky and immature as a writing style, but with this I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am glad that I was able to suppress my usual prejudice as it gave me joy to be snapped back to reality with Will.

Thanks for sharing such a fun piece. :)

Posted 1 Year Ago


willweb

1 Year Ago

Thanks, I am glad you liked this. I was just having a little summer fun with it.
A great little adventure with relief by reality even supplying a decent meal


Posted 1 Year Ago


willweb

1 Year Ago

Thanks so much Dave. Come on in, the waters fine.
Dave Brown

1 Year Ago

Splish splash
What? No pirating on those high seas? (smile) I would have at least had my paper towel roll telescope (slightly wet from the pool) scoping out for land ho and barkentines off my starboard bow. Arrgh. Of course if the Tom Hanks Cast Away thing is working for you, that's cool. lol

Posted 1 Year Ago


willweb

1 Year Ago

Thanks so much Fabian. I appreciate your time today. Yep, we could play with almost anything when we.. read more
And you better clear your plate laddie, or there'll be no Robinson Crusoe read at night night dreamy sleeps young man! 😊
Ah, the imagination of youth! I don't remember it so well anymore!
Where one minute you could be tarzan, swinging from the vines, which grow from the ground by the way, but Hollywood doesn't need pesky facts getting in the way of a plot line that resembles a colander, and the next you could be that French git called Jacques, who can't even spell his own name correctly (it must have been all that having his face submerged in the sea, which didn't half make his voice go funny) or Captain Jack Sparrow, who could spell his own name correctly and didn't speak all Frenchese either, with tales of adventure and derring do....(i can't remember the last time I did derring do)...
But although your high seas adventures were ruined by mom's interruptions, at least you got a nice lunch and didn't have to go all yo sushi on yourself! 😊
Now, I must dash. Its 3:40 am and I have to go put up mu pop up tent and gather supplies from Oreo and chupa chups, and check my batteries, just in case the yeti man returns for another fight to the death (???) And this time it is personal! 😊


Posted 1 Year Ago


Lorry

1 Year Ago

Totally agree and well said 😊
willweb

1 Year Ago

I can't post from my computer, I have to create a new poem on my phone, save it blank, just a title .. read more
Lorry

1 Year Ago

The upside down, in the long long ago, in the far away 😊

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 22, 2023
Last Updated on March 22, 2023

Author

willweb
willweb

TX



About
Hi, I am willweb. Maybe you remember me and maybe you don't. I have been writing here on and off for years. I pop in and write and read and comment and make friends and learn new things. I enjoy maki.. more..

Writing
The Edge The Edge

A Poem by willweb


Cupid's Bow Cupid's Bow

A Poem by willweb