PAY ATTENTION, PHOEBE!

PAY ATTENTION, PHOEBE!

A Story by Willys Watson

PAY ATTENTION, PHOEBE!

Phoebe Patterson has heard the phrase ‘Pay attention, Phoebe!’ countless times, going back to when she was just learning to walk through her graduation from high school. When younger the words were often spoken by her concerned parents, sometimes with a stern caution, sometimes more tenderly. When spoken by her neighborhood childhood friends or early classmates it was usually said jokingly because they had heard their versions of it many times themselves. By the time she was in high school they were often uttered by classmates who were wondering if she was listening to what they said. As to her teachers, they let the seemingly lack of attention slide because she always had excellent grades. 

Looking back honestly on her early years she knew the scrapes and bruises she received from not paying enough attention when she was walking or lifting something, sometimes dropping and breaking it, was justified. The six stiches she had to have on her leg after falling down while watching a Squirrel run across a high power line and wondering, if Squirrels were so agile, why did she see so many dead ones on the road is a good example of her childhood missteps. Still, with a little more maturity and manual dexterity Phoebe learned to adjust, to focus on multiple tasks, by the time she started the third grade. 

With the exception of Sarah, who was very much like her in temperament, most of the people she knew or encountered never seemed to understand she was always paying attention, absorbing information, making comparisons and drawing conclusions. Even when still young, like when her parents took her on walks, to the park, shopping and when riding in their car Phoebe was noting the vast diversity of nature, the characteristic differences of family members, friends and even strangers. She also keenly observed the trends through the years, from music to fashion to social, religious and political alliances. Even the ever changing styles of vehicles held some interest to her.

Phoebe grasped details, as if having a magnetic mind, and stored these in her memory banks. What she chose to remember was personally selective, of course, but always important to her on some level. 

Unfortunately, her attention to details was of little use to her when it came to matters of the heart. The man she fell in love with and married also paid attention to details and was, and still is, an efficient investigator for the government. Though they shared equal passion for their chosen vocations in life, they also entered the marriage with equally ill-suited flaws. Phoebe signed the divorce papers seven years ago.

As she sat at her desk in the judges’ chambers The Honorable Circuit Judge Phoebe Patterson though about the complex case she was expected to rule on soon. She considered the many discrepancies she heard from witnesses and the outlandish claims made by both the defense and prosecuting team of attorneys and intended to address the chief attorney on both sides for clarifications. She had caught those discrepancies because of her near obsession to details and, as she sipped her iced tea, she thanked God she was blessed with the ability to remember what she considered significant. 

© 2020 Willys Watson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think it's an interesting read. I feel as if I know both a Phoebe and a Sarah, myself being more of a Sarah and my younger sister being a Phoebe. Important to remember that those who can seem distracted, especially in kids, may be distracted with their own intelligence whether that make their thoughts run or not.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I think it's an interesting read. I feel as if I know both a Phoebe and a Sarah, myself being more of a Sarah and my younger sister being a Phoebe. Important to remember that those who can seem distracted, especially in kids, may be distracted with their own intelligence whether that make their thoughts run or not.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This very short story is based on a young woman I knew in high school who did become a judge.

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 17, 2020
Last Updated on October 19, 2020
Tags: attention, details, childhood, grades, goals, vocations

Author

Willys Watson
Willys Watson

Los Angeles, CA



About
Writer, Artist, Scalawag. more..

Writing