The Buyer And The Seller

The Buyer And The Seller

A Story by Willys Watson

The Buyer And The Seller

1.

Mr. Graham, the owner of an up-scale art gallery, was setting at his desk when he heard the bell ring and looked up to see a middle-aged man, wearing a tailor made suit, enter the gallery’s front showroom. The man glanced around the showroom quickly, then focused his attention on a portrait hanging on the left wall. After he approached and stood in from of the portrait, Mr. Graham rose from his desk chair and came up to the man, introducing himself as the gallery owner.

“This is called ‘Contemplating The Past’ by the artist who painted it,” he told the viewer.

“My wife and I passed by your gallery after leaving a restaurant last night and noticed this painting and we both loved it. And want to buy it if the price isn’t too high.”

“The artist is asking six thousand, which is fair price for one of her paintings.”

“Yes, it’s a fair price. My name is Ed Howell and we’re hardly rich, but we can easily afford this,” he told Mr. Graham. 

“Are you the same Edward Howell who works for the Worldwide Relief Fund to ensure that the donations are not mis-used?”

“As an attorney working for them that’s part of my duties, and my wife works with them, too, but I would like to know a lot more about the artist who painted this.”

“I know something about her life, but she is a very private person and wants no details of her life known to anyone.”

“But you must admit, as a seller and likely expert, that the artist’s life experiences are reflected in their art. Like the path to recognition for some comes easy, while for others it never comes at all. After their death it sometimes happens, but this doesn’t help the living artist.”

“This is very true when you go from a Warhol to a Van Gogh.”

“So, you understand why I’m interested in the life of an artist I admire?”

“Of course, but as I mentioned before, she doesn’t want any details of her personal life known.”

“Yes, you said that, but the name tag says this is painted by Abby Ash. Wouldn’t details of her life show up with a little research?” Mr. Howell wondered.

“Abby Ash is a pseudonym she uses and the only thing you’ll find in research is art critic reviews and galleries that list some of her other paintings. So, without details of her life are you still interested in buying the painting?”

“Of course. And besides the value of the painting to us, a little mystique adds a certain aura to it’s worth. It’s sort of like the reclusive writer effect, but with us owning the original.

“I was hoping you would understand, and after your wife and you select the frame you want, we’ll frame it and deliver it to you free of charge,” Mr. Graham assured him and they shook hands in agreement. Then they both sat in arm chairs silently, for perhaps a half a hour, studying the portrait Mr. Howell just bought.

‘Contemplating The Past was painted on a 36"x48" canvas and is a semi-surreal portrait of an older woman, standing in front of an open window as she stares out beyond the Brownstone she lives in. Her expression seems to convey her thoughts are somewhere else, perhaps in the near or distant past. Outside the window frame the bricks are laid symmetrically at first, then gradually change shapes into haphazard forms.

Finally, Mr. Howell rose up, thanked Mr. Graham for selling them the painting, then said goodnight.

2.

After re-checking the gallery alarm system and turning off most of the gallery lights, Mr. Graham headed up stairs to the living area above the gallery. Anna was still in her artist’s studio, sitting at her desk when he entered it.

“Worldwide  Relief Fund, huh? I would have sold them the painting for half that price,” she told him as he sat down.

“But how did you know, Dear?”

“Our video surveillance camera control system is sitting on that table behind you, silly.”

“I know, but didn’t know if you were watching it. Anyway, I really love that painting and think it’s one of the most profound works you’ve done. Now, it’s gone.”

“Thank you, Dear, but I have backup files of the painting and we can enlarge one of the photographs you took of it and hang it in our bedroom.

“And after all this time I still can’t figure why you put up with me and live with me,” he told her sincerely.

“Are you kidding? You write some of best verse an unknown poet could possibly write. Besides that, you’re honest, decent and accept my privacy wishes. So, how could I not be smitten by you?”

© 2022 Willys Watson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I was completely intrigued by this write, read top to bottom without hiccups. Excellent craftsmanship! The scene played out completely in my mind as I read. The characters were completely relatable and was a fresh subject , love it.


Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 16, 2022
Last Updated on August 17, 2022
Tags: Art, Gallery, Painting, Privacy, Trust

Author

Willys Watson
Willys Watson

Los Angeles, CA



About
Writer, Artist, Scalawag. more..

Writing