The Sounds She Hears

The Sounds She Hears

A Story by Willys Watson

The Sounds She Hears

1.

In her livingroom Lacy sat reading a novel when she heard a sound coming from her front porch. She was not the type of person who was easily alarmed by unknown sounds. So she sat silently, pondering the probable cause of the sound. Then she heard it again, a sound that sounded like something being scraped across the floor of the porch. She considered the possibility, because the wind was higher than normal, that leaves or broken tree branches were being pushed across the porch. For several minutes she didn’t hear the sound. The she heard it again. But this time the scraping sound was going in the opposite direction of the wind.

Still, she wasn’t alarmed because she had an excellent security system installed, one she designed herself because this is what she did for a living. The system included security cameras and alarms on both the exterior doors and windows. So she sat quietly and waited.

Within ten minutes she heard a sound again. But this time it sounded like something was clawing or scratching on her front door. Still not really alarmed, Lacy rose from her chair and quietly went into her study.

2.

Seated at her desk, she turned on her security camera monitors to see if she could view the source of the sounds. After doing this Lacy made a phone call to an old friend.

“Jeff, are you still in the snooping business?” she asked.

“Lacy, you know damn well we’ve got enough pride to call it high-tech surveillance. And I’m in no way obligated to help a girlfriend from the past.”

“I could easily still be that now, and perhaps even more, if our chosen vocations didn’t always seem to make it hard for us to be together,”

“How well I know that, Lacy. So, what can I do for you?”

“It may be nothing to worry about, and I’m not really alarmed, but I’m wondering if you can use your satellite camera feed to zoom in on the property around my house?”

“Don’t you already have security cameras?”

“Of course I do, but they don’t cover my whole yard.”

“Honey, do you still live in the same house with the large front and back yard?”

“The same one I lived in when you visited me last Spring.”

“Of course you do. and should, because you always preferred living close to nature.”

“Sometimes I think you know me too well. But, I’ve been hearing sounds, sounds that vary, on my front porch. I’m watching the security camera monitors and don’t see anything that could be making the sounds. Because of that it could be serious. Or not.”

“If your cameras are mounted on the wall above your porch you could have dead space that the cameras can’t pick up.”

“I’ve already calculated it to be two feet from the base of the wall onto the porch. But as the camera focus rises that dead space becomes more narrow.”

“Yes, it does, Lacy. So it could be a woodland critter, a very tiny person or a translucent ghosts.”

“I would love to meet some ghosts. Still, can you zoom your satellite camera enough to pick up and activity in my yard?

“Of course, and I’m starting the process now. But I’m only doing this because I still have a crush on you.”

“You’re so sweet when you’re not grumpy.”

“I’m not grumpy now. And I really don’t think you have anything to worry about, but I’ll monitor your yard for the rest of my shift. Still, it wouldn’t hurt for you to monitor your cameras for an hour or so. But I’ll instantly call you if I see anything serious enough to worry about.”

“Thank you again, Jeff, and I’ll do my part.”

“And don’t worry. With your combat training I would feel sorry for anyone trying to break into your house,”

Lacy’s response was to laugh, and after their conversation ended Lacy grabbed some fruit juice from the kitchen and headed back to her study.

After a hour of monitoring her cameras and not seeing anything to worry about Lacy decided to get some sleep and would sleep on the sofa in her study. She still wasn’t worried, but if an alarm did go off during the night it would instantly wake her.

3.

She slept soundly until the ringing of her telephone woke her at seven the next morning.

“You didn’t die during the night, so that’s a good thing, right?” was the first thing Jeff said.

“If I had died I would be haunting you for the rest of my celestial life, smart a*s.”

“Smart a*s or not, I wasn’t worried because, after we talked last night, I had one of our local agents watch your house. She parked in front of your front fence and had an infrared mounted scope with her.”

“I think you over did the precautions, but thank you, Sweety.”

“Maybe so, but she captured two intruders.”

“Two intruders?”

“Yes, but you were never in any danger by these intruders.”

“Thank you, but I want details,” Lacy told him.

“Not yet. Not until after my report is written and handed to the right people.”

“Do you always have to be so professional, Jeff?’

“For the next three months before I retire I do. But there’s no law that says I can’t visit you personally this evening.”

“That would be nice if you’ve gotten enough sleep.” 

“Gotten the sleep, and I’ve already booked a flight and rented a car. I would be at your house earlier but I want to pay a short visit to the place where the intruders are being kept. So, see you soon, Lacy.”

4.

When Lacy heard a car pull up and park she opened the door and waited for Jeff to approach the front porch.

Sitting in the livingroom together they smiled warmly at each other for a few minutes.

“Some details, please?” she asked him.

“Not yet, because I want to ask you several important questions,” Jeff told her, and when Lacy nodded yes, he continued, “As a personal favor to me, would you consider being a part time adoptive parent to two furry creatures?”

“Depends. What kind of furry creatures and how long is part time?”

“Part time is until I retire and the furry creatures are the ones who were on your property last night and likely scratched on your door.”

“And these furry creatures?” Lacy wondered.

“Two dogs, not much older than puppies, likely a brother and sister. Scared and hungry. And likely dumped because whoever had them didn’t want them or couldn’t keep them. They were likely left inside you fence because whoever dumped them hoped whoever live here would keep them and take care of them.”

“Are they trained not to poop indoors, Jeff,” Lacy asked.

“I don’t know yet. They were kept at local animal shelter overnight.”

“I would want to see them in person first before deciding.”

“Of course, but I have one more question to ask,” he told her, and after she nodded yes, Jeff continued, “Would you consider adopting me as your partner again?”

“Full time or part time?”

“And you call me a smart a*s, you smart a*s. So, let’s go outside for a moment.”

When they were on the porch Lacy grabbed Jeff and they kissed.

“As much as I wanted and loved that kiss, don’t get distracted.”

“I’ll remember that, you smart a*s.”

They both laughed as they slowly walked down to the rented car. With the gate left open, Jeff opened the door to the rear seat and the dogs quickly jumped out. They stared at Lacy and Jeff a moment, then ran into the front yard.

“They look so sweet and loving and friendly. It’s hard to imagine someone would dump them on the street,” Lacy replied as she studied them.

After Jeff closed the gate they slowly walked back to her house. 

“Please don’t get mad at me, Honey, because everything I did I did for a reason.”

“And?”

“These dogs weren’t the intruders you were concerned about.”

“Before I punch you out I’ll let you explain first.”

Jeff sat down on her front porch and Lacy sat beside him. Soon, the dogs were on the porch, too.

“I don’t know yet why the cameras on your front porch didn’t see them, but those two intruders were very clever, They wore solid black clothes and black masks. And they wanted to make sure no one was home before they broke into the house. And, during the interrogation, they wouldn’t reveal their trade secrets, but they have a rap sheet a mile long with arrests for breaking and entering and grand larceny. They’ll be back in jail for a long time.”

“Okay, but when they were arrested were they armed?”

“No, and because they were no match for a serious, angry agent holding an infrared mounted assault weapon and they would be foolish to resist arrest.”

“And neither tried to run away?”

“One did, but he didn’t get very far with a bullet hole in his leg.”

“Okay, that I understand. But what about the dogs?” Did they and the intruders interact?"

“Likely, and that might be why they didn’t break into your house. Maybe they thought the dog’s owners were coming home soon or maybe they thought the dogs were accidently left outside and might howl or whine to be let into the house?” I was pretty sure they weren’t your own, because if you heard the scratching you would have let them in,  so the local agent called to have them taken to the local animal shelter and told them, as I asked her, to hold them for several days because I would adopt them.”

“That’s so sweet of you and I’m proud of you. But you live in a condo in that big city and, because of your job as an Agent, how can you realistically take care on them?”

“I’m just hoping you’ll take care of them until I retire and move out here to the boondocks.”

“Now that’s a sound I welcome hearing,” Lacy told him. “But how close is close?”

“We’re not living together, if that’s what you mean, because you’re a neatness freak and I’m a slob. But when I retire I’ll put my condo up for sale and buy a small house as close as I can to this one.”

“Sounds I love to hear, but is it okay to say we’re a couple again?” she asked and Jeff nodded yes.

© 2023 Willys Watson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

296 Views
Added on February 7, 2023
Last Updated on August 3, 2023
Tags: agents, intruders, friendship, security, affection, dogs

Author

Willys Watson
Willys Watson

Los Angeles, CA



About
Writer, Artist, Scalawag. more..

Writing