New Boston: The Kingdom of Innocence

New Boston: The Kingdom of Innocence

A Story by Wingless Angel
"

Beyond yesterday lies the Lost Kingdom of Innocence. My memories are cloudy but my heart is clear, that the magic that was, always will be. The Kingdom shall always reign if only in my heart.

"

In a faraway land, in a time long ago, there was a tiny kingdom known as New Boston. I was Queen of this wonderfully magical world for only a short time, but it was an experience that awakened my heart to the miracles of Life and Love. New Boston was a land of perpetual beginnings; a land of tomorrow's dreams and yesterday's triumphs. The gentlefolk of the kingdom thrived from the mystical life that enveloped them and children never knew of the Darkness that awaited them beyond the kingdom's reach.

 

Nestled within the quiet mystery of the White Mountains, hidden deep in a blanket of red and gold autumn leaves, rests the small but infinitely grand Mystical Kingdom of New Boston. Darkness never engulfed the kingdom when I was queen. The Light of Innocence burned away all the iniquities. Shining brightly, the Light guided my way as a constant companion, shielding me from any Darkness hiding in the shadows.

 

The wooded hillsides are cool and inviting even during the hottest of days and yet there is a warmth that is given to anyone who seeks the sanctuary and quiet peacefulness the forest offers. As the canopy of leaves dance in the wind the sun's light filters through to dance with their shadows on the soft moss covered stones. My greatest joy was to sit upon my granite ledge throne high above the valley, from there I could see rolling meadows of gold and green radiating out from my grand kingdom.

 

Winding through the heart of my realm flows a crystal clear river full of life and flowing with magic. The river is refreshed by spring rains and winter snows. A child understood the magic the river had to share could only be gained by valuing its beginning and end. The river never stops to see what the world has to offer, for it knows that life comes from within and only by following its course to the sea can the river's water unite with its destiny.

 

Skirting the walls of my Kingdom was a quaint little orchard where there grew the largest sweetest juiciest apples ever created. I would sneak in to indulge in the forbidden fruit, stealing bites bursting with sweet nectar that awakened me to a world long ago forgotten. Grander than the fanciest of wines, the risk of capture was the price paid: from the fruits simplicity the true sweetness of Life could be released and enjoyed.

 

Twice a year the townspeople would gather together to celebrate the magic that the kingdom had to bestow. Fireworks and carnival rides helped to fill the kingdom with squeals of laughter and grand merriment. In royal procession the town folk would parade through the streets, singing and dancing to the music of the band. To magnify their joy, the people would create wonderful images of heroes and compatriots such as Puff the Magic Dragon and Captain Kangaroo. These counterparts would float as if by magic past wide-eyed children and the proud citizens of my kingdom. The community bonded as they created these floats, each co-creator would instill their own spirit to unite with the magic they represented.

 

As I look back, remembering the beauty and mystery of my kingdom, I ponder, "Is the Magic still there? Or has it been swallowed up by the ugliness and darkness that awaited beyond its frontier." I was the reigning Queen of this faraway land, no one knew of its miraculous spirit as much as I. Still it was torn away from me as a child from its mother's breast as it grows: never again to return to the Innocence of Yesterday.

 

New Boston is the proverbial small town America, the idyllic perfect place to raise a child. We lived there from 1960 to 1967, I had free run of the town. I was seven when we moved and my heart was broken. I hope my story helps others to remember their lost Kingdoms and for those who never had a Kingdom, come share mine.

© 2010 Wingless Angel


Author's Note

Wingless Angel
I took myself back in time and wrote this with the heart of a six yr old. As it is from my heart, reviews are appreciated but futile. I have NO idea what genre it is, do you?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a really sweet story. You definitely captured the atmosphere of a child with how this was written. It's incredibly nostalgic and reminiscent. The tone is childish but matured, if that makes sense. I really enjoyed reading this. Great spelling and grammar, beautiful description and a great children's story that also benefits adults. Well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

What a beautiful and magical place! The way you described it makes me feel as if I'm there, and you have a great way with descriptions. The fact that you wrote it from a six year's old point of view makes it even perfect as we see the world through an innocent's eyes and innocence is always beautiful.
Very well penned.
You deserved that badge, congratulations.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow I actually enjoyed the read good job :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a really sweet story. You definitely captured the atmosphere of a child with how this was written. It's incredibly nostalgic and reminiscent. The tone is childish but matured, if that makes sense. I really enjoyed reading this. Great spelling and grammar, beautiful description and a great children's story that also benefits adults. Well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thank you for the Award, it's the 1st one I ever won.
Happy Feet!!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

305 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 16, 2010
Last Updated on December 16, 2010
Tags: New Boston, NH, Dodge, Hillsboro County, Fair

Author

Wingless Angel
Wingless Angel

Port Orchard, WA



Writing