Chapter IV: A New Home

Chapter IV: A New Home

A Chapter by WisbyWrites
"

After the Inquisition leads to the Purge of Errusten, Tally must hide, and finds the only other person she knows.

"
A rucksack sat at the foot of her bed. Tally grabbed it, and in it she threw the books from Lola (to help her survive, should she end up alone), the silver she had (because she knew it would be needed), and the tinderbox (to light the way). She slung the rucksack over her shoulder and went outside.

Tally took the bow and quiver from the porch, though she would have taken the axe if she could run with it. She rushed to the cobblestone road, took one last look at the cabin, and continued running. The fork in the road was where Ralnor would be the most nervous, Tally remembered. She remembered how he'd put his arm around her shoulder, how his need to protect her had always been blatant and fierce. Stop thinking about him as though he's dead, Tally reprimanded herself. The west road led to Stoneshore, the city in the very center of Tavaun,where all trades profited; that was the road they always took. The south road would lead to Caldergrav, a barren, freezing city, the terrain as unforgiving as its people. Tally knew the former road well, and it was always a safe journey. The thieves are hiding south, Tally decided, the old fort is in the corner of Tavaun. South she ran.

If Ralnor were with her, no doubt he would be keeping her in the middle of the road, holding her snug to his side, as though his arm alone could protect her from all manner of banditry. Tally was alone, though, the strap of the rucksack digging into her shoulder, her lungs filling with soggy, cold air. She kept running until her legs were ready to give out. The road curved west toward Caldergrav; straight ahead, a beaten dirt path leading into the wood. 

Never had Tally been a fearful girl. The poor did not have the privilege of irrational fear. Tally was not goblin-fearing, ghost-fearing, nor dark-fearing, but much had happened this night, and everything appeared frightening. For the second time that day, Tally was wandering amongst the trees. Only now, she ran, and she was surrounded by the snapping of twigs and the ever-enveloping darkness, and she was not only at the mercy or the creatures that dwell within forests--creatures that had not been merciful to the Dirthitryns of Errusten in the least--but also at the mercy of thieves. And thieves care for nothing but coin. 

The forest was cold and dark and damp, but soon Tally heard laughter, and she quickened her pace. Then she saw the old fort; strong stone walls encircled Fawkes's men, a tall archway on either side allowing Tally a partial view of the courtyard within, thieves sitting around a fire in the center, tankards in their hands. There were towers. Two giant, looming towers that sprouted from a shorter, wider building. From far away and below, Tally saw that the windows of the furthest tower were all lit, and the windows of the closest tower all dark. 

As Tally approached, the men grew louder with their talking and laughing and singing. Tally laughed, too, with relief. Rather dumbly, she entered the thieves' den, but when she passed underneath the stone archway, she did not feel afraid. She was there. She'd made it. 
"H-Hello?" Tally called to the men huddled around the fire. Understandably, they all stood, drawing daggers from their belts. Tally raised both arms, lamp still in her hand. 
There were four thieves in front of her. All of them were young, thin men, and none of them looked particularly intimidating; none of their faces were scarred, none of their limbs were missing, none of them even looked very strong. They were boys. 
One of the four thieves approached. He was tall, lanky, long-faced and fair-haired. He looked Tally up and down. 
"Who are you?" 
"My name is Tallis." She replied.
"And your business here?" He questioned.
Tally was trying her best not to look a fool, so all she said was the man's name. "Fawkes." Please don't laugh. Please don't send me away. 
He did not laugh. He stood straight, raised his chin, and sheathed his dagger. The other three did the same. "I'll take you to him." The first thief said, and with a jerk of his head, Tally followed. 
As he led her across the yard, Tally saw only men. They all carried a weapon, and most wore armor of leather, though some wore more and some wore thin, layered clothing. Most of the men were as young as the first bunch, but there were a small few gruff, scarred, brutish looking men. The bandits of the bunch. 
He stopped her at the door of the main hall. "Fawkes is just inside here. Can I trust you in there?"
"Do you really think I pose a threat?" That made the thief laugh. He opened the door and stuck his head inside. 
"Fawkes, a girl for you." The thief called, and motioned for Tally to go in.

Fawkes was sitting at a wooden table that nearly stretched the length of the hall. Several other men sat around him, empty ale bottles littering the space between them. When Fawkes recognized Tally, his smile was wiped off his face. He was hoping for a different sort of girl. The door swung shut behind her. 

"Oh, not you." Fawkes stood, pushing his chair back behind him, the scraping of the feet making a terrible sound echo through the hall. "Lads, leave us." They obeyed him. Fawkes kept his eyes on Tally while the men passed by him on their way out the doors. 
"You're the sawyer's girl. Tal." Fawkes said, finally.

"Tal?"

"I can't say your name with a straight face." Fawkes was holding back a laugh just thinking about that name. Her parents couldn't have loved her very much, naming her Talaedra. 

"It's Tallis, now," Tally started. "Fawkes,"

"Do you want the money back? Are you here to beg?"

"No."

"Just paying a visit, then? I'm impressed that you found us."

"My father is gone." Tally blurted.

"Dead?" Fawkes asked, curiosity taking over where sympathy should have been.

"Taken. Heresy. They tried to kill me. They took my friend, too--"

"Well, I'm sorry, but you can't be bringing the Empire over here."

"Please." Tally pleaded, a little too loudly. I said I wasn't here to beg. "I wasn't followed. I'm sure of it."

Fawkes sighed. "Then what is it you want from me?"

"I want to join you."

"No." Fawkes refused.

"Please."

"'Please' won't get you anywhere. We're criminals. Your kind can't stomach that. You won't last a day here." Fawkes turned away.

Tally stood firm. "They're going to hang my father. My friend, too. They think I'm already dead. I need to hide." She paused. "I ran that sawmill. Even if I don't steal, I can be useful, just, just put me to work. Please." Her throat swelled. She'd lost her nerve.

Fawkes turned around. "Fine. I'll try to keep you here."

Tally's shoulders sank. "You'll try?" 

"It's not up to me. Merek runs our organization. You'll sleep here, and I'll ask him to meet you in the morning."

Tally nodded. "Thank you." 
Tally claimed a corner of the main hall. She lay on soft, stolen furs on the cold, hard stone floor. Her bow, quiver, and rucksack tucked against the wall behind her. The vestibule, with its tall ceiling and crackling fire, was empty. The thieves' barracks were in the northernmost tower, just a door away from her, but that didn't frighten her; her mind was not with her in the thieves' fortress, but miles away, freeing Ralnor and Lola, and every other heretic, and witch, and abomination. It was wreaking havoc on the inquisitors and fiscals and qualifiers of Wassentia, and all of their pet royals and lawyers. They were criminals and kidnappers and murderers. Their fancy titles wouldn't make that go away. 

Maybe if  Pa hadn't left the Great War, we would have won. Tally felt suffocated, as if she were being throttled all over again. Maybe if my mother hadn't left us, none of this would have ever happened. Tally sat up, hunching over and cradling her head in her hands. She did not cry, though it wasn't for a stubborn want of bravery, nor was it for lack of trying. She could not summon a tear, and instead her body shook from fear, and from exhaustion, and from shock. Tally did not yet mourn Ralnor,  as Ralnor was likely still alive, and Tally was not ready to forfeit. 

I'll get him out of there, Tally thought, not knowing where there was, but determined anyway. I could earn enough of my own coin to pay a bond, or I could hire mercenaries, or I could become a thief and sneak him right out. The thought of stealing prisoners right out from under the Empire's nose was certainly amusing. I'd save Lola, too. Tally had almost forgotten. She realized how difficult it would be, saving the prisoners by herself, and how long it would be until she was ready, and she sank with disappointment. 

Even if I can't rescue them, I'll get justice for them, and for everyone hunted down by the Empire. I'll see to it that Wassentia doesn't spill any more Tavaunish blood. 


© 2020 WisbyWrites


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on May 17, 2018
Last Updated on November 28, 2020
Tags: fantasy, thieves, high fantasy, book, coming of age story


Author

WisbyWrites
WisbyWrites

FL



About
Saige / 22 / Artist and writer for fun. In the process of writing my fantasy novel. Stay tuned for updates! more..

Writing