number 2

number 2

A Chapter by Wolfhilde
"

piece of a story

"
Jormund


Jormund sat beside the fire. He peered through the flames to the other side where the girl sat on the ground, staring into the flames. He couldn’t help feeling hatred for her. They should not have kept her alive. They had killed all Ylaesir so far, man or woman. The Ylaesir had magical powers and men and women fought together. He knew that just because it was a young woman didn’t mean she wasn’t dangerous. These tribes had to be soulless by killing many innocent people, including his wife. Everyone who belonged to this tribe belonged to these heinous deeds, and he had promised that he would let none of them alive. He had always said that, and he had promised her that. He had to avenge her. The fact that the Ylaesir came from their mountains once more puzzled him. The anger and sadness he had subsided after a while and His heart still felt bitter and aching, but his zest for life was slowly rising again. This encounter with the Ylaesir had upset him. He felt anger, anger that had always been there but triggered by the sight that one of them was sitting across the fire, so close within reach. Wulfric sat down next to him. He had scooped up another plate of watered-down stew that Aldir had cobbled together. They sat in silence for a while. “The girl must die, Wulfric,” Jormund said without taking his eyes from the flames. Wulfric stopped eating and stared with him at the flames. Behind the flames, on the other side of the fire, the girl rested on a woolen cloak that Aldir had laid out for her.Wulfric sighed and then looked at his friend. ‘Jormund..’ 

“They killed my wife...” Jormund said whispering, but his tone was fierce and desperate.'I understand that you have powerful feelings about the fact that we have a Ylaesir among us’ Wulfric began, 'But it is likely that she will come in handy. I made this decision for the benefits it can bring to our people.' Wulfric took a few bites from his plate and then looked at Jormund with a concerned look.'Besides, the gods must have had something in mind for her. She survived both the Skalbren and us.” Jormund just nodded and ran his hand through his beard. He took his knife and began sharpening it. This had become a nervous trait of his and he often did it when he wasn’t feeling well. ‘You are the leader, Wulfric, and my friend. I’ll follow you, you know that.’he said in a calm tone.Wulfric nodded and patted Jormund’s shoulder with his hand. “I know Jormund, I’m counting on you.” He continued to gulp down his stew. “Well, that was another terrible meal,” he said with a laugh while getting up to clean his dish. A grin fell on Jormund’s face, still keeping his eyes on the girl. He saw her hands were no longer tied. She was so close to him and he clenched his fists. 
He had sworn to kill all Ylaesir. And yet she sat here beside him. He couldn’t hold back any longer. Why was she here? What did they want? And why had they killed so many innocents? He had to have answers. He got up and walked over her. He guided her gently by the shoulder and walked her away from the others. 
 
When there was more privacy between him and the girl, he grabbed her by her shoulders and pushed her against a tree. 
 “Who are you?” he asked, his voice hoarse. The girl bowed her head and remained silent. 
 Jormund released a frustrated sigh and leaned forward so his face was about the same height as hers. “Girl, my patience is wearing thin. I let you live because we want information. Information from you. The Skalbren apparently thought you were special, and so I considered to. We need you, but you must tell me why.” 
 The girl looked at him, her eyes expressionless. “You do not need me” she whispered. She was silent for a moment, but he could feel her rage. Jormunds anger came up. He clenched his fist and slammed it hard against the tree next to her head. She shivered and closed her eyes with fear. “Who are you!” he shouted. The girl looked up at him. She looked him over, her deep black eyes pierced his blue. He watched her and stepped back. 
 “Witch ..” he whispered. 
 The sound of blades and screams interrupted the conversation. Jormund turned and rushed to the rest of the warriors. “It's the Skalbren! Quick!” Aldir cried while his sword brought down the nearest enemy. 


Mayrin 

Confused, she looked up at the group of warriors. She never thought the Skalbren would be so close. For days, they were looking for her and she could always avoid them. It took a while before she realized she wasnt tied up anymore. Even the warrior Wulfric was too busy to notice her. Quickly, she ran away from the scene, deeper into the forest. She did not know where to go and didnt care. Because of the wound on her side, she couldn’t walk fast. After a while, she heard branches crackling behind her. She realized that someone had followed her. She quickly tried to look, but lost her balance and landed on the hard forest floor. The follower grabbed her long hair and held his face close to hers. She could feel his breath to face. “No. ..” she pleaded. She had to do something. I can’t be taken to them, I promised .. 

Her eyes slid over the scene in front of her. A few dead Skalbren lay upon the ground and she heard the fighting in a distance. “Here you are!” said the man who grapped her. Startled, she turned around. It was Irdin. He had a grin on his face. During the journey, she learned Irdin was the prince of Mondryne. He had a shaven face and his hair was short. From inside, she wanted to run away, but she did not dare to move. Irdin would never let her go and she doubted if she would ever be fast enough to run. She wasn't a fighter. They raised her to be a healer. Together with her tribesmen, they took care of the sick. They made various ointments and potions and took care of the herbs and plants. That knowledge was her power. Her tribe did not have the gift of magic. The tribe that had this gift belonged to the northern part of the mountains. This was the tribe they quarreled with. The tribe that left the mountains and caused chaos, all because of her. She was quick to figure out that Wulfric and his comrades didn’t know this. They thought all Ylaesir belonged together. She was afraid that the warriors who had captured her would deliver her to the Northern Ylaesir. Then all this would have been for nothing. 

“I knew we could not trust you, you want everyone looking for you?” Carefully, she stepped away from him. Her feet were aching and her body was too weak to do anything. 
Deep down, she hoped Wulfric was near. She feared all warriors, but he had let her live. Perhaps he would also spare her this time. Irdin let his gaze slide over her body. She had seen him doing that often during their journey. He would look at her from head to toe and made terrible jokes about the lusts of the warriors. Mayrin looked around. There was no sign of other warriors. She felt her stomach growl. She had not eaten for almost three days and she felt weak. “Ah, Look at this poor girl, she can barely even stand.” Irdin laughed at his own comment and walked closer to Mayrin. After a time he stood so close to her she could feel his breath on her cheek. All she could do was look at him. She didn’t even dare to breathe. Suddenly she felt a pain on her cheek and a force that knocked her over. Irdin had slapped her and her weak body lost its balance and fell on the ground before his feet. She felt so hopeless. Even if she had all her strength, she could not fight against him. Lost she bowed her head. Hoping that someone would come and help her. “Well ...” Irdin whispered. He walked around her and then squatted down before her. He grabbed her tunic and tried to loosen it from her body. Her bare skin ached at the touch of the cold air. She shivered and tried to cover her breasts with her arms. Her eyes full of shame.  

Please, gods, help me! He enjoyed the sight of her humiliation. She tried to stand up, refusing to please him with her humiliation. Her body was to weak and instead of rising, her body fell down again, landing on the cold ground on her hands and knees. His firm hands grabbed her by the shoulders and pushed her closer to the ground. There had been many times in her life that she prayed to the gods, but never had she been begging to them as she was now. 

 Mayrin fought the muscular arms which were holding her. With all her strength, she tried to wriggle out of Irdin’s grip. “Lay still girl, otherwise it will hurt only more.” he whispered in her ear. He pushed himself un top of her. “No...” she pleaded. With her last bit of strength, she tried to free her arms. Fight, I must fight him. She got distracted by a sharp pain in her side. She winced. The last bit of strength in her body disappeared. Irdin raised his blood covered hand. My blood, that is my blood. She felt too weak and stopped struggling. She felt his hands glide over her body. Her eyes faced the sky and the stars. All she could hope for was to die watching the beauty of it. Watching her kin welcoming her and feeling the warmth of the hands of the gods raising her soul to the sky. 
Tears streamed down her cheek. She sobbed and begged the gods for a quick death. When he saw her tears, he laughed. After a while, she tried to look around her. It was almost too dark to see anything. in the distance, she could see the light of the campfire through the trees. a few steps away from her she saw a dead Skalbren. In his hand, he still held his sword and a dagger lay next to him. Carefully, she tried to reach the dagger. She felt Irdin was too busy opening her legs to notice her action. The pain in her side tear her apart but she tried to grabbing it with all her strength. Irdin got startled by her movement because he was sure that she was too weak to move. He grabbed her legs and pulled her closer to him. She kicked hard against his body. 

Irdin mumbled something and raised his sword. With one movement, she grabbed the dagger and thrusted it into Irdin’s throat. His eyes widened and his body trembled. Quickly, she drew her dagger back. Blood spattered from his mouth and gurgled he fell beside her. A few seconds she remained in the same position. She felt exhausted. Her breathing was heavy, and she felt dizzy. Carefully, she tried to stand up. She did not want to be seen with Irdin’s body. She had walked away, and she had killed their prince. Slowly, she tried to stand up. Her gaze fell on a man not far away from her. Heavily, she gasped for breath. It was Jormund. He had seen her. He saw she had murdered Irdin. She panicked. She pointed her dagger at him and slowly crawled backwards. What am I doing? I am pointing a dagger at a warrior ..  

Jormund let his worried eyes gliding over Irdin’s body and then back to hers. Slowly, he grabbed his sword and pointed it towards her. She stared at him with tears in her eyes. It was only seconds, seconds that felt like hours. She did not want to fight him. She was only a woman. They both knew she couldn't. “Put that dagger away, girl.” His voice was quiet and His eyes looked uncomfortable at the sight of her half naked body. She moved more backwards and lifted her dagger more toward the warrior. “I have no choice but to hurt you if you don't put that away.” he said calmly. She shrank back. “Please, I..I cannot fight.” Her voice trembled. Jormund nodded and gestured that she had to put away the dagger.  

 She did what he asked. She knew she could no longer escape. Now she would die. These were the last seconds of her life. She could not fulfill the promise she made. Somewhere deep inside, it relieved her. Her body trembled and struggled to stand. Ashamed, she knelt down before him. She looked at the sword in his hand that gleamed in the moon's light. Knowing that he had every intention of using his sword on her. “Will you bury me with my face to the sky, so I can reunite with my gods?” her voice was soft. Jormund sighed and shook his head. 
“We have no time for burials.” he mumbled. Saddened, she bowed her head and leaned her body forward. With her hand, she grabbed her long dark hair and brought it to one side so that her neck was visible

 “I beg you, by the gods, have mercy on me as the god Kjeldir showed mercy to Norna. Please give me a quick death.” She heard Jormund approaching and closed her eyes, waiting for the final blow. But it didn’t come. Instead of a sharp pain, she felt his hands pulling up her tunic. She looked up in surprise. Blue eyes stared at her. “Come,” he whispered. He pulled her up. The pain made it difficult to stand, but he put an arm around her so she could lean on him. His kindness surprised her. So far, He had so far only shown hatred towards her. If she expected there to be a man to kill her, it was him. Carefully they walked towards the light of the campfire. She saw that the other warriors had already gathered there. Wulfric approached from the other side. it seemed he was looking for her as well.  




© 2021 Wolfhilde


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

good progression in the story line..I wonder if you could make a special section where her name is revealed...you spent a lot of time not revealing it and it is rather anticlimatic ...just mentioning it....perhaps saying something like .'.now she ..in her inner most heart knowing her name"Mayrin"..and the meaning of those words..'...like that...?

Posted 11 Years Ago


Nice Norse saga, and well-written. Makes me think of Conan the Barbarian for some reason. You write better than nine out of ten native English authors. I look forward to reading more. BTW do you like the Dutch song Het Bier Zal Weer Vloeien?

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wolfhilde

11 Years Ago

yes, but I like the song: "Als de dood weer naar ons lacht" from the band "Heidevolk" more.
I'm liking this story! the scenes are nicely described and not too wordy like most of the historical stories are. can't wait for more.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

41 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 18, 2012
Last Updated on August 26, 2021
Tags: warrior, fantasy, battle, magic, north, swords, viking, love, army, ancient, gods, medieval, fight, slave, witch, dragon, girl, war, tribe, captive, mountains, blood