Chapter 2- A Family Secret

Chapter 2- A Family Secret

A Chapter by WoLf

Chapter 2- A Family Secret

 

Another year had passed. Chanoue kicked his brother’s side gently. James awoke stirring and looked up to see the night sky outside. Why be waken this early? “What is it Chanoue”? He asked standing up and looking at him dreamily. “Dad wants us to follow him”. Chanoue pointed to the cave entrance where Vargas was standing huffing to himself. James stood up and followed behind Chanoue as he took off after his father who strode outside. The walked past the hill side and out across the fields to finally they had come to a small forested area at edge of the valley. James looked around. There were large pine trees draping down over the grass and dirt around them. Pine needles littered the ground. “Now, you two boys have the right to know something that I hope one day you can help me complete”. Chanoue perked his ears and began listening intently as to hear all of which Vargas had to say. “Our family has a secret, a mission of sorts sealed by our ancestors”. James cocked his head but slightly as not to be noticed. “Humans, the wolves’ mortal enemy was created thousands of years before your time and have become the dominant race in the natural world”. Chanoue looked at James then back quietly listening. “Our ancestors promised to pass this message down to every kin as they grew of age and now you boys know”. James squinted, confused by the message. “Our goal is to discover how to open the tomb, a sacred site located somewhere we are yet to find but if we open it then we may be able to destroy humans once and for all”. James suddenly spoke up. “What’s wrong with humans? What have they done to us”? Vargas snarled under his breath and replied. “They have taken the throne over us, we are a dominant race. Humans don’t deserve the right that we do”. James still wondered, what did humans do? “Why should it matter”? Vargas’ teeth gritted. “It is our natural position”. “So destroying there race will solve all problems you have, your power hunger and all that”? Vargas snarled so loudly Chanoue stepped back watching his brother. “Sorry dad but I want nothing to do with your plot or this destroying of the humans”. Vargas’ paw came up slamming in contact with James’ face sending him flying backwards whimpering. Chanoue watched with horror but didn’t do anything. Vargas advanced on him and bit into James’ leg. “You think you have a choice? This is your blood tied duty”! Another bite to James’ back and then a slash across his face. Blood was dripping across the floor. James looked at his father in terror as he stood up. “Please stop”. He begged. Vargas threw him onto the ground again. “I will not stop; if you will not honor our heritage then you will be punished”. Klara came running over the field, her eyes flashing. “Vargas stop that! Stop it now”! She shouted. But Vargas reared his head and attempted another bite at James. Klara rammed into him sending him back. The two began engaging in a fight. James crawled back near his brother Chanoue. He looked down at him. His horror struck face now turned to disappointment and annoyance like his father. Klara was knocked on her back as Vargas threw a wild swing into her chest. “Klara, enough”! He shouted glaring at her panting and baring his teeth. “Vargas what the heck has gotten into you, attacking your own son”? She scolded. Vargas didn’t answer but angrily shifted eyes around. She knelt down beside James. “Are you alright”? James shook his head under too much shock and pain to answer. “Come”. She said coolly lifting him up. “Get out of here then”. Shouted Vargas as they walked back up the hill out of sight.

 

James felt shook up. His voice had left him. He wasn’t hurt but mostly shocked. Klara leaned onto his side as they walked. “I’m sorry; I didn’t know he would do that”. James sighed. “It’s not your fault. I don’t know why he was so angry”. Klara stopped and sat down in the grass. Tears formed in her eyes. She whimpered quietly while James sat next to her. “We need to get out of here”. She finally said after what seemed like hours of her silence. “What”? James said tilting his head at her. “I have family up north that we can stay with; I want you to come with me. Once we have shelter and help we come back for Kanoue, he’s too weak to travel with just the two of us”. She let out her last tears with a blink. “I’m afraid something might happen to him without someone helping us”. James nodded and thought to himself as Klara walked down the bank side. He was going to leave his brother and father. It didn’t matter now; they had changed and were nothing to him.

 

 

James woke again but this time to his mothers soothing voice. They had been traveling since last night but stopped in the woods to rest until tomorrow. The sun had settled over the mountains and glimmered through the trees leaving shadows all around. Klara had caught herself a muskrat and was chewing on it. She ripped a piece away pushing over to James. After breakfast the two headed deeper into the woods, bound north. “What did he tell you”? Klara asked as they walked onward. James thought back to last night. “He told me that our family is destined to destroy humanity”. Klara looked at him oddly. “Humans, what do they have to do with his family”? James didn’t answer. He didn’t even know himself what the destruction of humanity had to do with him anyway. “It’s always been this way it seems”. She sighed. “Always wanting to be powerful, always wanting a purpose”. James looked at her. “Yet he did love, he once loved me and our family but he’s changed so much”. Klara seemed to be speaking out loud out of her own head not even addressing James as a result. “I wish I could change him”. She said. After that she did not speak again. They continued walking into the dense forest quietly.

 

Klara leaned over the stream sipping water from its cool surface. James had been sitting near a few trees thinking to himself. How would Kanoue do on his own? Klara was sure he would be fine until they returned, she had promised him this. James stretched and lay down for a few moments. He needed the rest; the time was his to sleep. Klara looked over at him and smiled sitting down next to the the water to stare off into the woods.

 

 

 

James awoke with a start. He looked up at the trees above and suddenly noticed it was cloudy overhead. But this wasn’t all that had changed. A distinct growling was sounding somewhere nearby. James tried to scramble to his feet as fast as possible. The noise was closer than he had imagined as it grew clearer when he stood up. What could make such a loud noise? James passed through the brush next to him to wear the stream had been. James bustled through a bush and came face to face with a large brown bear. The bear roared and raised up then charged at James. He moved out of its way and slipped passed as it shot past. He then noticed what had really happened. Bloody and mortally wounded was Klara sprawled on the ground. “Mom”! James shouted and he ran to her side. “James, get out of here! Run”! She yelled to him. James turned around. The bear was madly running in his direction. He managed to doge it again as it trampled past nearly striking Klara. James felt his fur stand on end and his teeth barred menacingly. He leapt at the bear and tore at its muzzled face. The bear roared and shot a paw swing in his direction. Missed and he himself landed another bite tearing away some flesh. Now the bear’s anger changed to fear. It ran for its life in the other direction bleeding intensely. James watched after it as it took off. He turned his head back to Klara on the ground. She had been bitten several times by the looks of it and beaten. “Mom”… James whispered coming closer to her nudging her face. “Go north and find my family, I can’t lose you too”. She croaked quietly. James coughed holding back his tears. “What about Kanoue”? Klara’s eyes began to flutter. “Save him if you can, please live your life”. Klara’s eyes shut peacefully. James looked down in utter disbelief. His mother was gone. There was nothing more to do then head north alone.

 

 

It had been only a month after Klara and James had left. Vargas was extremely angry about their disappearance. While wandering the field, Chanoue was talking to Vargas, discussing Klara. “She wasn’t much like us anyway, I’m proud of you son”. Chanoue smiled with glee at this. “Unlike that deformed wolf too, tainted blood he was. I am glad it died off”. Chanoue shook at this. He knew Kanoue was still alive. He opened his mouth thinking of the wolf then the words erupted from him. “Father, the wolf still lives”. Vargas shot his eyes onto Chanoue with disbelief. “How? Never mind. We will kill him together”. Vargas suddenly shot in the direction of the old cave where Kanoue had been left by his mother. Chanoue followed Vargas across the field. He stepped inside stomping in the dirt. The light behind them became blocked out by their forms. “So, wolf, you still live”. Vargas said in a high loud voice. Kanoue, in a small, stubbed, rolled up form turned his head to look at him. “Who are you”? Vargas jumped down and advanced on Kanoue. “The one to rid of this world”. Vargas raised his paw high up into the air and slashed a cut down Kanoue’s face. Then another and another. Chanoue watched quietly for a moment but then, a bright light erupted from Kanoue’s paw. A light that glowed gold and flashed again and again, sending Vargas flying into the cave wall. The glow dimmed slowly and Vargas squinted then suddenly shot up. “A nature blood, a descendent”! Kanoue cowered against the wall, shaking violently. Vargas came closer. “Amazing, truly amazing”. Vargas said staring at Kanoue. “We shall spare you young wolf, you may hold the key to something much greater than you can imagine”. Chanoue looked from Vargas to Kanoue in confusion. Vargas turned his head to Chanoue. “Well boy, fetch him some food”. Chanoue clamored out of the cave out to hunt. Vargas turned his shaggy head onto Kanoue again. He studied him for a long moment before turning and exiting the cave.

 

 

Several years had passed. During the harsh winters, the elk and deer of the forest that Chanoue and Vargas relocated to had moved on for the winter which had turned into a heavy storm. Vargas and Chanoue were both out in a heavy snow storm. Vargas had enlisted the help of Chanoue though Chanoue did not know what for. “Father, may I ask… what it is that you seek”? Vargas did not look back. “You see when we find it, I believe it is here somewhere in the forest. Kanoue told me it was here, a ring. This ring will help us with our goal”. Chanoue perked his ears. “A ring, what is that”? Vargas did not respond and continued walking into the snowy forest. The quiet winds fell over the landscape and yet no change in pace met Vargas’ stride. Chanoue stayed quiet while following his father. His head hang low avoiding his father’s eyes. Vargas didn’t seem to be taking notice to how slow Chanoue was moving. “This might be the key we’ve been looking for”. Vargas muttered. Chanoue perked his ears. “What do you mean”? Vargas stopped and turned. “Young Kanoue has told me where we can find this ring which has been long hidden from us, a key to the tomb I mentioned”. Chanoue’s face lit with delight. “Really? Is that why he still lives”? Vargas nodded. “Kanoue is born under the stars of Mother Nature herself. He poses power like her own and even her knowledge”. Chanoue’s eyes widened. “We have the enemy’s mind in our own grasp”! Chanoue said excitedly. Vargas snarled annoyed. “Not entirely, we only have half of what she knows but no matter. I believe we have found our main source to completing our goal”. Chanoue nodded too still smiling happily at this revelation. “He gave it up easily, there is a relic here, hidden in the frost”. Chanoue flicked snow off his paws. “So then what does it look like”? Vargas shrugged. “I’m not entirely sure, but from what it sounds I won’t miss it. It has a diamond and a loop shape”. Chanoue looked up into the snowy sky for a moment feeling something strange twinge in him. “Father, I sense someone nearby”. Vargas wheeled himself around to look into the distance. “I feel it too, get into stance”. Chanoue settled on his paws digging into the snow and watching around him. “I hear something coming”. The crackling of bushes sounded close by but the blizzard gave a blow sending snow up in the two’s faces temporally blinding them. “Chanoue, watch for movement”! Vargas yelled out. “I can’t see”! Chanoue yelled back. The snow cleared and suddenly Chanoue could see what was advancing on them. Two large humans in fur coats were slowly creeping at them with large metal sticks in their arms. Vargas glared at them and felt a strong feeling of hatred crush into him. “Chanoue stay back”. The human fired off a shot barley missing Chanoue. “Not my son you human thilth”! Vargas suddenly charged into the first human lunging at him and landing into his chest. “Watch it”! Called the other human. Chanoue stood back watching his father attack. The human that Vargas had pounced brandished his knife and was looking for a chance to stab. The other human was struggling to pull Vargas off, grabbing him around the neck and shoulders. “Damn! Get him off me”! The human shouted out to the other while Vargas snagged his teeth around the human’s wrist. The tackled human pushed forward with a stab but with nothing more than a small whimper, Vargas continued his attack. Chanoue watched and for a moment was just about to intervene. The human had lifted up his metal stick and had it aiming right at Vargas. In a flash and a loud bang, Vargas’ eyes went wide with shock and fear. They spun as fast as they could into Chanoue’s direction. They slowly closed as Vargas slumped over in the snow. The human that had been tackled pulled up his bloody knife from Vargas’ chest. Chanoue shook his head watching the body unable to believe it but he couldn’t waste the time grieving. The two humans now were coming up on him. Chanoue narrowed his eyes and in a mustered strength, he launched onto both the humans in a single jump, pinning them. Chanoue had killed plenty of elk and rabbits but this felt so good. The blood of the humans filled his mouth and soaked his tongue. Their flesh seemed so tender and ripping. Chanoue pulled off from the two bodies to admire his kill. Then turning to his father’s body. The cold snow was now already covering over the corpse. Chanoue nudged the body hoping for even the slightest sign. No voice responded to him. Nothing called to comfort him. Vargas was dead. Gone from the earth due to actions of his now sealed enemy. He lowered his head setting a few tears upon the cold cadaver. He then reared his head far back above the trees his howl rang up into the sky and far beyond. 



© 2012 WoLf


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on August 13, 2012
Last Updated on August 13, 2012


Author

WoLf
WoLf

CA



About
Just the average guy doing his thing. Current project(s): Winchester Grove Finished Projects: Through Wolves Eyes Series Future Project(s): Wolvrens of Frost Creek (name subject to change) more..

Writing