Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Elizabeth Reed

"Oh, this is simply impossible." Mother said as she twirled in her new, satin, white wedding gown. I sighed from my seat across the room. Watching her in that dress made me sick. My father died only a year ago and she's already getting married again. She says it isn't befitting of a queen to run a country without a husband. I think the whole thing is ludicrous. Why should any one person be in charge of everyone else? Making up rules, having people bow to you. It's so demeaning to the people. They're practically in rags and she's standing there in a satin dress that's worth more then any three lives off the street, in her eyes. And she's only going to wear that dress once! My Mother expects me to take over the throne when I'm 18 and rule England. 

"I don't think so." Was my exact response. I don't like to make other people think I'm higher than them. So, I wear almost the same clothes as the do. A brown, cotton skirt to my ankles and basically a white peasant blouse. It's just a tad bit more "luxurious". Mother gets very angry at me for wearing the clothes. She says I need to look like a princess to be treated like one. Frankly, I don't want to be treated like one! I wear the stupid crown to make her happy. And to tell you the truth, it hurts! The bottom is hard and thin and it makes my head hurt, it messes up my hair and it always falls off! I hate it so much. I'm not going to be Queen. That just means a bigger, more uncomfortable crown! I tucked a strand of my long brown hair behind my ear. Mother turned to me and sighed. "Must you wear your hair in that filthy ponytail?" she asked. "You look like a peasant!"
I looked up at her and tilted my head.

 "Yes, Mother, I do." I answered. I could see by the face she gave me she wasn't very happy with my tone. "Haven't you noticed we have some very attractive people in London?" She stuck up her nose and turned to the mirror, straightening invisible wrinkles in her dress. 
"Peasants are lowly people. Not fit to look as regal as us."
I glared at her and stood up, taking a few steps closer to her. "I can't believe you just said that. Just because they're peasants means you can't think they're good looking?" She looked down at me from her elevated stage with a serious look of disappointment and anger. 
"Do not speak to me with that tone, Annabell."
My face fell slightly. I knew it was wrong of me to speak to her that way, but I kept her stare head on. Reluctantly and with fake meaning I said, "I apologize, Mother." And walked out of the room. I knew if I stayed I would say more things I would regret. I knew it was wrong to argue with my Mother, I do need to respect her, but she makes me so angry sometimes! Sometimes I just want to scream at her and slap her across the face. Of course I don't. And of course I never tell anyone else that. That wouldn't be good for my family. But, I wished I could do it. Maybe I would after I had grown older. But, it would still be a while. Especially since I'm still over a week away from being 18. I walked down the long hall of our castle and entered my room. My maid, Candice was making my bed. 

"Oh, mornin', Yer Majesty." she said in her thick Irish accent with a curtsy.
"Oh, Candice, don't do that. You know how it annoys me." I said.
"Oh, forgive me, miss Annabell. I didn't mean to upset you." She had a sad, apologetic look on her face. I smiled and touched her shoulder.
"It's fine, Candice." I said. I looked down and turned to the window.
"Is anything wrong, Yer Majesty?" she asked as she peered over at me. I looked out at the vast field of grass and flowers. No one in the country had as much land as we did. We could fit thousands of houses in that field. Big houses that could fit families of seven. I turned back to Candice, but my eyes focused on my room. My room was so big. I could fit ten or eleven more beds in here. Maybe even more. After a second I turned my focus on Candice. She looked so perfect in her little maid outfit. But, yet, it looked so demeaning. Like she wasn't fit to be in such a regal room or even in normal clothing.
"Candice," I started. "I can tell you anything, right?" She smiled at me sweetly as she took a step forward.
"Of course, miss!" she said happily. She took my hand and pulled me gently to my bed and we both sat down. "What is it?" she asked. I sighed as I stared at my lap.
"I don't want to take over the crown." I said. "I want nothing to do with this. Not any of it." I noticed in her green eyes she was a bit taken aback. She tucked her brown hair behind her ears and smirked just for a second. 
"What do you plan to do, miss?" she asked. "Yer the heir. Her highness expects you to rule the land. And all of the peasants." I closed my eyes tight and groaned slightly in disgust. 
"Oh, please, Candice. Don't call them that. It's such an awful word. They're people. Just like you and me."
"I'm sorry, miss." she looked down with shame. She was probably thinking she kept upsetting me. For good reason, I kept telling her stop saying everything. I have my own problems and she doesn't need to adjust to them. She is her own person. But, I thought it was a tad funny she kept getting so upset whenever I wasn't happy with her.
"Candice, why are you so afraid of upsetting me?" I asked bluntly. She paused.
 "Well, because yer the princess. I want to look good for you, miss. I don't want to displease you."
I stood up from my bed and folded my arms. "Yes, right..." I muttered. She stood quickly and took a few steps to the door. 
"If you don't mind, I'll be leaving now."
I waved her out and she grabbed the doorknob and pulled the giant door open. I saw her look at me for just a second out of the corner of my eye before she left. Not 10 seconds later my younger sister, Tania walked through the door. She looked so majestic in her long, blue gown. Beautiful black lace along the bottom and top. Her long blond hair pulled into a neat bun with her sparkling crown in front. 

"Annabell, may I come in?" she asked. I nodded and smiled, turning to face her. "Doesn't Mother look so beautiful in her wedding gown?" she asked. I rolled my eyes with a slight sigh and answered, "Sure, if you like that sort of thing." She walked in closer to me with a confused look.
"What do you mean? Aren't you happy for her?" I shook my head. 
"No, Tania, I'm not. I hate it. I think it's all a load of rubbish!"
"What are you talking about? You should be happy for her! She found love again!"
"No, Tania. She just wants a man on her arm to make her look good."
"Jonathan loves us!"
"He doesn't care about us, Tania. He cares about the crown!"
"Oh, stop it, Annabell! You're just angry because you're not fit to take the throne!" Her hands turned to fists and she got tense, stretching her arms out at her sides.
"What are you talking about?! I'm taking it when I'm 18!" I snapped.
"I thought you said you weren't."
I paused and stared at her. She had the most smug look on her 15 year old face. She looked so much like Mother, where I looked more like Father. "I- I'm not." I replied hesitantly.
"So, you lied. You really aren't fit for the throne."
"That's not it, Tania. I just don't want it." 
She laughed a bit and nodded. "Sure, Annabell. That's it."
"Get out of my room, right now." 
She smiled and turned to the door, flashing me a know-it-all look before she left.


© 2012 Elizabeth Reed


Author's Note

Elizabeth Reed
All feedback is appreciated

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

245 Views
Added on September 21, 2012
Last Updated on September 21, 2012
Tags: Princess, Power, Love, Servant, Maid, Honor, Royalty, Queen, Horse, Horses


Author

Elizabeth Reed
Elizabeth Reed

NH



About
I absolutely love to write, but I'm not very confident in myself. I would love honest feedback. Negative or not. If you'd like to see pictures of my characters, go to my photos. The letter(s) at th.. more..

Writing