Chapter Four

Chapter Four

A Chapter by Elizabeth Reed

The sun shone through my window, warm bright. I turned over in my bed and yawned. I pushed the covers back and stood up from my bed. I stretched my arms up high as I walked to my dresser to get my clothes. I was so happy that I didn't have to wear a gown again. It felt so good to be in my normal clothes. After I changed I brushed my hair and went downstairs into the dining room. Luke and Camille were already serving breakfast when I sat down. I figured that Mother and Tania must have already eaten, because they weren't there.
"Good morning, Princess." Luke said. "Sleep well?" I nodded with a smile. 
"Yes, Luke, thank you." I answered. "Have Mother and Tania eaten already?" Luke shook his head.
 "Not yet." he said. "I think Her Highness is with Tania. She's getting fitted for her Brides Maid dress." I rolled my eyes slightly and pushed my food around. I remembered that I was supposed to be Mother's Maid Of Honor. I really didn't want to be, but she is my mother. 
"Is everything alright, miss?" Camille asked. I looked up from my food and looked her. She looks so caring. And genuinely concerned with how I felt. She didn't deserve to be a maid. She was actually a very talented writer and could easily sell some of her stories. I always loved to go with her to the garden when she picked the vegetables, because she would tell me one of her stories the whole time. 
I smiled at her and nodded, saying, "Yes, Camille. Thank you." She smiled and stepped back, standing next to Luke. I could see his hand travel behind her and rest gently on her back. They've liked each other for a long time, but Mother doesn't approve of our workers being together. She says it will distract them from their work. Camille blushed slightly as she looked down with a shy smile. I took a few quick bites of my food and stood up. "I'm finished. Thank you, it was great. I'll leave you two alone." I said quickly. I pushed my chair in and left as quickly as I could. I really wanted to give them a chance to talk.
"Oh, there you are, Princess." Susan said as she approached me. "Your mother sent for you. She wants you to try on your dress for the wedding." I sighed and tucked my hair behind my ears.
"I don't really want to see her. I don't think she's very pleased with me." I said.
"Why would you say that, Princess?" she asked.
"I think she was upset because I left the party last night." I answered. She smiled and took my hand. 
"I'm sure it will fine." she said. "Now go. Or she really will be angry with you." I smiled at her and walked to the fitting room. I braced myself for what Mother was going to say. I pushed open the large doors and walked inside. 
"Hello, Mother." I said.
Mother was looking at Tania, examining her dress, when she turned and looked at me. I could see her face go from happy to angry as she turned. 
"Who do you think you are!?" she cried. I jumped a bit in surprise, I didn't think she would yell so loud.
"What do you mean, Mother?" I asked. She walked over to me, her cheeks red and her eyes filled with anger. 
"Why would you leave my party!? You know better! I always tell you that you must stay until the party is over and all the guests have left!" she screamed.
"Mother, please," I said in a quieter voice, looking around. All the people in the fitting room were staring. "What's the big deal?"
"What's the big deal?! You are the princess! Do you know what kind of effect you have on me!?"
Of course. How did I know she was going to turn this to her instead of asking me how I felt.
"What kind of effect I have on you!? What about the effect you have on me?!" I cried. "I can't have any real friends! All the people are scared to death of me because they know who my mother is! You have no idea what my life is like!"
"Of course I do! I'm a queen! My life is harder then yours!"
I paused and I couldn't help but smile. I gave a small laugh and put my hands on my hips. "Your life is harder?" I asked. "Your life is harder than mine? I don't think so! You've got no idea! You didn't have the crown pushed on you! You wanted it, because you're a power hungry, egotistical, self centered, uncaring, witch!" Mother gasped. She was very shocked at what I said. And so was I, on the inside. My brain said to stop before I got killed, but my mouth just kept going. "And you know what? I don't want to the crown!" I pulled the crown off my head and threw it to the ground. A few of the jewels popped out of it and Mother looked like she was about to have a heart attack. 
"Get out!" she cried. "You are no longer the heir of England! You're no better then a peasant! Leave!"
"Gladly!" I shouted back. I turned and stormed out of the room. I didn't go up to my room to pack anything and I didn't say goodbye to anyone. I just left. I walked down the stairs and went out back to get my horse, Duke. I mounted him without tack and headed off, not bothering to the whole side-saddle thing, even in my skirt. I trotted down the long driveway and didn't look back once. I went straight into town to my friend, Wesley's house. We had been friends ever since we were young. I used to sneek him inside my room. But, Mother always got very mad at me and told him to leave. We didn't get to see each other too often, but we never lost contact and always remained close. He was the only person I ever fully trusted after my father died. I would tell some things to my maids or Susan or Luke, but I felt most comfortable with Wesley. I walked Duke through town, heading into one of the poorer parts of town. Wesley, as well as everyone else in the area, lived in a very small little house, only big enough for one. I always felt bad for him, so ever since he moved out on his own when he was 16 I would share the allowence my mother gave me with him. Even though he would probably have enough money to move to a better place, he chose to stay in his humble little home. I like that. I dissmounted Duke when I got to his house and knocked on the door. After quite a bit of noise coming from inside, he opened it. 
"Oh! Annabell! How wonderful to see you! Come in, come in." he said happily. I tied Duke to the hitching post outside and I went in. I looked around with a smirk. His house was so different from him. He was a young, clean man. His face was free of facial hair, his clothes were tidy, but his house was a mess. He's only about 20 and a very eligible bachelor, but aanytime a woman would express interest in him, he seemed oblivious to her advances.  "What brings you to my... messy abode." he asked with a smile. "Hey, where's that pretty crown of yours?" I sighed and sat down in one of his kitchen chairs.
"Me and mother had a fight..." I said. He looked at me with a slightly shocked, but slightly knowing look. "I'm a peasant." I finished. He shook his head, turning from me and putting his hands on the counter, hunching over. After a second he pounded the counter and made the walls rattle.
"This is ridiculous!" he cried. I jumped a bit at the sudden noise and looked down. "You got somewhere to stay?" he asked after a second. I shook my head and stood up.
"No, I don't," I said. "But, I should probably go find somewhere. An inn or something."
"Oh, no, no, no." he said firmly. "You'll stay here."
"Oh, no," I said. "I don't want to bother you."
"It's no bother. We're practically family." He bent over and picked up some clothes and things off the floor. "Just give me a second to pick things up." I smiled and sighed. 
"Thank you so much, Wesley." I said. He hugged me tight and kissed my cheek.
"It's no problem." he said. "No problem at all."


© 2012 Elizabeth Reed


Author's Note

Elizabeth Reed
All feedback is appreciated

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
Added on September 21, 2012
Last Updated on September 21, 2012
Tags: Princess, Power, Love, Servant, Maid, Honor, Royalty, Queen, Horse, Horses


Author

Elizabeth Reed
Elizabeth Reed

NH



About
I absolutely love to write, but I'm not very confident in myself. I would love honest feedback. Negative or not. If you'd like to see pictures of my characters, go to my photos. The letter(s) at th.. more..

Writing