Chapter Six

Chapter Six

A Chapter by Elizabeth Reed

"Wow, Wesley. That was great." I said as I put my plate in the sink. 
"Yeah, it was good. Thank you." Kale said. Wesley smiled and started washing the dishes. 
"It was nothing special." he said. "Just vegetables and bread."
"Oh, Wesley, stop." I said. "You added all those spices and stuff." He smiled and rolled his eyes slightly. Kale stood and brushed off his pants.
"Well, Anna, I should be going." he said.
"Alright. Well, thank you so much for coming." I said. He smiled and nodded.
"Thank you for having me." He kissed my cheek and looked at Wesley. "Thank you for dinner, Wesley." 
Wesley nodded.
"Anytime, Kale." he said, though he looked a little tense. Kale smiled at me again and left. I sighed with a smile as I watched him leave. I had never felt that way before. I was always blushing, I had butterflies in my stomach, I couldn't stop staring at him. I wondered if I was starting to have a crush on him. But, I shoved the thought out of my mind quickly. That was impossible. I wasn't interested in marriage at the moment. I kissed Wesley's cheek and told him I was tired, so I was going to go to bed. He said goodnight to me and went into my room. It was weird at first, having to pull down my own bed. Usually it was done for me by the time I went upstairs. I pulled down the covers, took my shoes off and got into bed. Tomorrow I would have to try and find a job. I needed to get some clothes. After all, I hadn't grabbed any one of my things when I left home. But, I was fine with it. Those things were all tainted with Mother's attitude. If I ever saw any of my things again it would remind me of her. and I didn't want that. So, I would have to by all new things. I don't require, much. Just a few things. I reached over and turned the life off. The room was now gently lit with the soft glow of the moon. I was never able to fall asleep with the moon shining into my bed before. And I thought that it was would pretty easy to get used as I drifted off to sleep.
 
**************************************************
I slowly opened my eyes and saw the sun shining brightly into my room. I smiled. It was quite a beautiful thing. It gave the whole room a golden glow. I pushed the covers back and flung my legs over the side of my bed. I took in a deep breath and held it for a few seconds. It felt like I was breathing in the suns golden rays. I blew out and looked around my room. This felt like it was going to be a good day. I stood up from my bed and stretched my arms up high. After I made the bed I walked out into the kitchen with a large yawn.
"Good morning, Anna." Wesley said. "It's a wonderful day, filled with sun, warmth and happy people outside!" I laughed at his enthusiasm and stood next to him at the stove.
"What are you making?" I asked.
"A little of this and a little of that." he answered. "Eggs, bacon, toast."
"Sounds good." I said. He grabbed the pan and scrapped the eggs and bacon onto two plates, then the toast. He set both the plates down on the table and pulled out a chair for me. "Why, thank you." I said as I sat down. He smiled and sat down next to me.
"Now," he said. "How do you feel about work?"
"I have no problem with work." I answered, stabbing some of the eggs with my fork.
"Can you care for animals?" he asked, glancing up at me from his plate.
"Of course."
"Alright, then. Could you feed and brush both our horses and feed the chickens?"
"Of course! No problem."
"Great." he said with a smile. Wesley had the cutest smile, so bright and cheery. For a second it made me think of Kale and my heart started to race. I hoped I would see him again soon. Me and Wesley finished our breakfast quickly. Wesley took my plate and I headed out to the back to tend to the animals. I love animals so much. Most girls don't like to tend to them because they're dirty, but I don't care. They're wonderful creatures. Duke whinnied as I walked up to him. Tag seemed to have been sleeping when Duke woke her up. She seemed please to see me as well. I smiled and reached out my hand to pet his muzzle and he was very eager to be pet. He pushed his nose right into my hand and I laughed, petting the side of his face.
"Did you have a nice night, boy?" I asked. I worked my way down to his back and sighed. "You need tack." I muttered. "It was kind of stupid to leave without it." I walked over to Tag and put her neck. "Hey, girl." I said with a smile. She neighed loudly and bucked her head. Gave both of them their food and sat down on a bail of hay to watch them eat. I missed all the horses we had at our stables. They were all so beautiful. Of course, Duke was always my favorite, I still loved all of them. I missed Tania too, I have to admit. And Camille and Candice and Luke and Susan. I lowered my head and closed my eyes. I felt so bad. I didn't miss Mother at all. Not even a little bit. And that was awful to think about. The women who gave me life and took care of me for 17 years, through good and bad, I had no feelings for. I didn't care if I ever saw her again. And I felt like a jerk for it. Duke lifted his head from his food and looked at me. As if he sensed my sorrow he came up and put his head on my shoulder. I smiled and wrapped my arm around him. "I love you, boy..." I said. Tag whinnied and Duke pulled back quickly to stand next to her. "And it looks like Tag does too." I said with a smile. I stood up and walked to the Chickens and gave them their feed. They pecked the heck out of the ground. They looked so funny as they bobbed up down, clucking like they do. I couldn't help but laugh. But, suddenly I grew sad. I had only fed chickens a few times, when Camille or someone would take me out and let me help them. I frowned, thinking of Camille, Luke, Susan, Candice and the others. I turned and walked out of the coop, back inside Wesley's house.
"Did you feed the animals?" Wesley asked, scrubbing a plate in the sink.
Yes, I did." I answered.
"Is something wrong?" he asked.
"No..." I lied.
"Oh, come on, now, Anna. I know you're lying. What's wrong?" he insisted.
"I just... I miss my friends..." I admitted.
"The maids?" he asked.
"My friends." I said firmly.
"Oh, sorry. Well, why don't you go see them?"
"Because! I'm a peasant now. Peasants aren't allowed in the castle unless someone in my family brings them in. Even then Mother would still tell them to get out." I explained. Wesley looked down with a thinking face.
"What if I could get Tania to let you in?" he asked. I looked up at him and my eye brows furrowed. 
"You wouldn't be able to. She wouldn't do it."
"Let me try." he said.
"No, Wesley. You'll get in huge trouble."
"I won't get caught!" he cried as he sat down at the table with me.
"Wesley, you'll have to climb over the fence, sneak onto the property, passed the guards and get Tania's attention from the outside. If the guards catch you you'll be thrown in jail for trespassing on royal grounds and I guarantee Mother will try for life in prison. And she's the Queen. She'll probably win."
"Anna, you think too much. I'm sneakier then you think." he said. "I'm going."
I sighed and leaned back in my chair. "Fine. You'll go to jail, not me." He smiled at me slyly and I rolled my eyes in annoyance.
 


© 2012 Elizabeth Reed


Author's Note

Elizabeth Reed
All feedback is appreciated

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
Added on September 23, 2012
Last Updated on September 23, 2012
Tags: Princess, Power, Love, Servant, Maid, Honor, Royalty, Queen, Horse, Horses


Author

Elizabeth Reed
Elizabeth Reed

NH



About
I absolutely love to write, but I'm not very confident in myself. I would love honest feedback. Negative or not. If you'd like to see pictures of my characters, go to my photos. The letter(s) at th.. more..

Writing