A Moment So Perfect

A Moment So Perfect

A Story by Elizabeth Reed
"

A short story

"
It was pure bliss. The most beautiful moment I had ever experienced. It was so simple and small, but sometimes those are the things that matter most. The warmth of a hand in yours, the sound of someone's heart beat against your ear, listening to them breathe, feeling them in the moment. It's like everything is perfect and nothing can ever hurt you again. The feeling of a thousand butterflies in your stomach comes to a rest and you're able to breathe easy, relax in their arms. That's when you know. When the butterflies are able to calm, when you take a breath in their arms, when you recognize the sound of their heartbeat. That's when it's perfect and it can't get better. I took a deep, content breath, and he laced his fingers through mine. We were snuggling on a park bench on a warm summer evening, in front of the ocean. Watching the waves lap at the shore, the people walking by, the birds calling to each other. I snuggled closer to him and he put his arm on my shoulder, then moving it up and gently playing with my hair.

"This is perfect." I said softly. He smiled and nodded.

"It really is." he responded.
"I love you." I said. I wait as a few silent seconds passed. I looked up at him, resting my chin on his shoulder. "I said I love you." I repeated, thinking maybe he just didn't hear me. He didn't even look at me, let alone respond. I sat up straight and gave him a curious look. "Baby," I said. "Why won't you say it back?" Him not saying it worried me. It wasn't as if this was the first time I had said it. We had said it plenty of times before, and he never wasted any time saying it back to me. He slowly shook his head, eyes fixed on the ocean in front of him. I could see the setting sun reflecting off his vibrant eyes.
"I can't." he said finally. I pushed back from him a little, surprised at what I was hearing.
"Well, why not?" I asked, getting a little offended.
"I don't love you." he said. My heart sank. I could always tell when he was joking, and he certainly wasn't joking. I was about to start crying and ask him what I had done, when he started to talk again. "I can't say I love you, because 'love' isn't the right word. I don't know what other word to use, but 'love' is no where near strong enough." The sudden twist of his words jerked my emotions and a tear came down my cheek. Half from the sadness and half from the sudden pull of happiness. He turned and faced me. "You're so much more to me that someone I love." he explained. "Saying 'I love you to the moon and back' doesn't even begin to cover it. 'More than life itself', that's nothing. It's like, I love you more than a caterpillar loves leaves." I giggled. "I love you more than a snail loves its shell. I love you more than hipsters love dreamcatchers and more than pandas love bamboo and more than Bambi loves Thumper! Love just doesn't begin to cover it, but I just don't know what else to say. So I guess I have to say I love you, but just know, that it doesn't even begin to cover the feeling in my heart that I have for you. You're the most beautiful, wonderful, lovely girl I've ever met and I'm afraid if you don't marry me, my heart just might explode." Tears were streaming down my face. Now it was out of pure joy and happiness. I felt like if he said anything else I might burst, so I quieted him the only way I knew how. The hugest smile broke out onto my face. "Yes!" I cried, wrapping my arms around his neck and kissing him.
"Yes?" he asked when I pulled back, a smile planted on his face as well.
"Yes, I'll marry you." I explained, another tear rolling down my cheek. I could see his eyes shining with unshed tears as he kissed me once more, softer this time, as we took in this moment. Took in the feeling of each other. The butterflies awoke and fluttered around my stomach yet again, and I found it was getting harder to take in a full breath.

I was wrong.
A moment can always get more perfect.

© 2012 Elizabeth Reed


Author's Note

Elizabeth Reed
All feedback is appreciated

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was written so beautifully! Your imagery was well done and it was just so sweet.

~Erinne

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very sweet and it gave me butterflies myself. :) Nice write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Awww! Very well written, I was really expecting the story to go badly for the girl, but it didnt! :-) Great Job

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, this was amazing. You have a great talent in writing, just amazing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

335 Views
4 Reviews
Added on September 24, 2012
Last Updated on September 24, 2012
Tags: Love, cute, romance, sweet, boy, girl, marriage, proposal

Author

Elizabeth Reed
Elizabeth Reed

NH



About
I absolutely love to write, but I'm not very confident in myself. I would love honest feedback. Negative or not. If you'd like to see pictures of my characters, go to my photos. The letter(s) at th.. more..

Writing