The meeting

The meeting

A Story by Abbi

The hallway was silent except for the sound of her breathing, light shown from under the door at the other end, but she couldn’t get to it, she couldn’t see her way past the vast web of lies she had spun, she wasn’t really a secretary, he wasn’t really her boss, that was just what they told everyone else. No one knew except them, they had kept this secret for 40 years, people did sometimes find it odd that a secretary had stayed with one boss for so long, but in their line of work all was not what it seemed. The door at the end of the hall opened, he stepped out his office into the hall ready to face whatever the real boss needed, she was ready for him, they had prepared for this, the boss had given them 2 weeks to prepare for this, but they still did not feel prepared, so long doing the same thing should make you feel very comfortable, but as i said before all was not as it seemed. As the two walked out of the office building into the hub of central new york one thing was for certain their lives were about to change, and not for the better, but before that could happen she had a little errand they needed to run, she pulled a 9mm pistol from her handbag, silencer already in place and put it to his back.


“Don’t say a word, act normally like nothing is amiss.” she said, in a cool calculated tone she reserved for only her clients.


As they walked down the street she contemplated how she would ever pull this off, if they never arrived for the meeting everyone would know, yet if she did this like she wanted to everyone would still know, it was a lose lose situation really, but she had seen quite a few of those in her time.


As they rounded the corner in front of the bosses building she pulled the gun away and placed it back in her purse. He opened the door and motioned for her to go inside, acting as if nothing had happened.


They arrived at the boss's door, knocked twice and entered. The boss was facing the window and didn’t bother turning around to see who had entered.


“You're late.” the boss said, in a clipped, professional tone.


“Sorry boss, we got caught in the rush of lunch hour.” he said.


She thought he was going to tell the boss she had threatened him, but she should’ve known better, they had done this thousands of times. It was like a game, its what they did anytime they had a family meeting with their daughter. And everytime they told themselves that they would take her down, they never did. How could they, she was the most powerful woman in new york, but no one else knew that.

© 2021 Abbi


Author's Note

Abbi
This is a barely edited short story (flash fiction), first draft, created from a writing prompt, I was playing around with perspectives, let me know what you think, what you like, what you don't. I'm very new to writing but I'm trying to learn and I learn better with feedback.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
Added on July 22, 2021
Last Updated on July 22, 2021